Topic: 2014 Bricks by the Bay Brickfilm Festival (and Competition)

Hi all! I am organizing a brickfilm festival (and competition) for the Bricks by Bay Convention in California. I wanted to encourage all of you to participate, even if you can't attend the conference. We are hoping brickfilmers will create and submit a film that exemplifies the convention theme of "Fun and Games," OR send us their most recent stop-motion masterpiece.

Winners in the following categories will be announced during the Bricks by the Bay Convention awards ceremony and will receive a brick-built trophy and a LEGO set:

• Best Film

• Best Film in the convention theme (2104: “Fun & Games”)

• Best Story

• Best Technical Achievement

• Young Filmmaker Award (12 and under)

• Special “Sweatbox” award to the best Film by a convention attendee

Judges for the 2014 festival include David Pagano, founder of Paganomation, an award-winning production studio whose work has been seen on LEGO.com, Nickelodeon, ABC News, The Wall Street Journal, and BrickJournal magazine. If you have any questions, you can post them here or send me a message. Thanks for reading and I hope you participate!

Rules:

• To be eligible, films must have been published publicly to YouTube.com between July 1, 2013 and June 30, 2014.

• An email containing name, age, link to the video, stating if the video is an entry into the best convention themed brickfilm category, and whether a convention registrant must be sent to [email protected] by 11:59 PM Pacific time, June 30, 2014.

• Entries may be made by an individual or team.

• Limit one film submission per person or team.

• To be eligible for the Convention-Themed Film category, films must be made specifically for the festival and incorporate the convention theme of “Fun & Games.”

• You do not need to be a registered Bricks by the Bay participant nor do you need to be present to be eligible for the Best Film, Best Story, Best Technical Achievement, or Young Filmmaker awards. You do need to be a registered participant in attendance at the convention to be eligible for the “sweatbox” award.

• Brickfilms in languages other than English should include subtitles.

• The principal animation technique must be stop-motion using LEGO bricks. CGI, live-action or other forms of video may be used to supplement, but brickfilming must be the focus.

• Films must be at least 30 seconds long, but no longer than 2 minutes in length (excluding credits).

• No mature/explicit content is allowed. This includes, but is not limited to: swearing, excessive violence, overt sexual content, discrimination and intolerance. Bricks by the Bay is family-friendly event and we ask that the contest entries be family-friendly as well.

• Please refrain from using licensed LEGO themes, such as LEGO Star Wars, or construction toys from other companies, such as Mega Blocks.

• You must possess or have obtained the rights to all the materials, such as music and graphics, in your film.

• Bricks by the Bay reserves the right to deem any film ineligible for any reason, at their discretion.

For more information about Bricks by the Bay go to http://www.bricksbythebay.com/ or follow us at http://www.facebook.com/bricksbythebay

Re: 2014 Bricks by the Bay Brickfilm Festival (and Competition)

Considering.

I saw this elsewhere and have already entered.
Don't remember which film I entered, but I did submit something I'm sure of that. mini/tongue
There's not really a reason not to do this, it's just a simple email.
Although the two minute time limit is kinda rough.

Became excited because I though the Bay in Bricks by the Bay seemingly insinuated something involving a certain Mr Michael Bay. Congrats, you just killed my vibe.

Would enter except for the above point and that its too prescriptive for my liking.

Best Film in the convention theme (2104: “Fun & Games”)

I doubt if I'll even be alive at the time. mini/wink

http://bricksafe.com/files/Legoguy501/BiM%20Signature.png
2nd place Darkness and Light entry: The Tree
Behind the Scenes

If it were announced a bit further beforehand I would've considered, but due to the fact that finals and everything are coming up...I'm left with very little time to animate with LEGO and work on a portfolio for film school.

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

CarrollFilms wrote:

If it were announced a bit further beforehand I would've considered, but due to the fact that finals and everything are coming up...I'm left with very little time to animate with LEGO and work on a portfolio for film school.

Sorry about that. We'll be sure to give more notice next time. Best of luck with film school. Humberto

This seems like fun, I might try to come up with an entry mini/smile

https://i.imgur.com/0X6EoJh.jpg
YouTube Channel : All My Links ↑Click for newest animation!↑

Seaotter71 wrote:
  • Films must be at least 30 seconds long, but no longer than 2 minutes in length (excluding credits).

Does this apply to all films submitted to the festival, or only ones submitted to the "Fun & Games" theme?

twickabrick wrote:
Seaotter71 wrote:

Does this apply to all films submitted to the festival, or only ones submitted to the "Fun & Games" theme?

Hi there. Thanks for the question. The 2 minute maximum time applies to all entries, not just the ones submitted to the "Fun and Games" theme. Humberto

Hi again. I just wanted to remind everyone that the deadline for the Bricks by the Bay Film Festival is June 30th. Everyone is encouraged to participate, even if you can't attend the conference. We are hoping brickfilmers will create and submit a film that exemplifies the convention theme of "Fun and Games," or send us their most recent stop-motion masterpiece. Details are in the original post or at http://www.bricksbythebay.com/wordpress … -festival/

All right, I've submitted "Lookout". Anybody else submitted anything or working on an entry?

I submitted "Wink" for the fun and games category.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

I would have submitted something..but I am unfortunately unable to film anything besides my main film at the moment, and the films that I already have don't meet the guidelines. I will be going to Bricks by the Bay, however, and I look forward to seeing any brickfilmers who attend.

YouTube Channel Edmeier Animation
Email: [email protected]

Great competition!!

https://www.youtube.com/user/chalksters55

Edmeier Animator wrote:

I will be going to Bricks by the Bay, however, and I look forward to seeing any brickfilmers who attend.

I'm gonna be at the public day (probably only at the second half). Is anyone else planning on going?

Also, what's new with the brickfilm festival?

Bump....
Any updates on the 2015 Brickfilm Festival?

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

How do you submit your video? mini/smile mini/confused

Making Motion  Youtube

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've contacted the organizers of Bricks by the Bay.

There isn't going to be a film festival this year.  mini/sad

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

Never mind:(

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.