Topic: Building in Greyscale

For my next film, Welcome to Darkmoor, I'm going to be shooting the entire thing in greyscale.
Because of this, I have a very rare opportunity to build things in such a way that the hue of the bricks is irrelevant, as the images will all end up monochrome, and thus the colour will be sucked away entirely and left only with a shade of grey.
Taking this into account, I should be able to construct sets and props which would normally look hideously wrong, but in grey might look absolutely normal.
For instance, to maximize the number of trees I can build, I'm building a few trees with red bark, which look strange, but on camera entirely un-notable.

Along with this, there is likely a great deal of nice part usage to be used here which would normally be impossible due to the limited colours used in LEGO bricks, but might very well be extremely interesting.

Anyone have any ideas for what I might be able to build without the typical colour restrains?  I really want to make the most of what this could be.

Re: Building in Greyscale

Sounds cool. I'm not sure how well this would translate to actual bricks but I made a gif comparing LEGO colours to their grayscale counterparts.

http://i.imgur.com/zCGxp2X.gif

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

I've done a few tests and found that the shade of grey is dependent upon the lighting and the settings of your camera.
With the settings I currently have, Dark grey, blue, and green all look exactly the same shade, though with different settings, green can become significantly brighter or darker than the dark grey.
I'm planning to stick with that setting, though, as I would be able to use blue to build more grass and it would stay around about the same shade.
I do need to take some test pictures of that.

Yeah, I figured a lot would change in camera. I'm looking forward to this! mini/bigsmile

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

I have always liked the idea of doing a well executed greyscale film, and I know you will not disappoint with yours. Am looking forward to this with great anticipation.

It would be a lot more awesome if you actually built sets consisting only of black, shades of grey, and white. Of course, you've already designed your minifigures, so that's out of the question. I actually have a noir-film coming down the pipe that will use this method. mini/wink

I'll look through my collection and see what would look cool in greyscale.

That would be interesting, but I would be limited to only two shades of grey, and I'd rather have as many as possible.  I also want to build a set much larger than usual.  By using weird colours I can build more than before.

Anyway, I've arranged some bricks in a stack to show the range of greys which I am able to create and a comparison with their actual colours:

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t31.0-8/1796992_821889044491944_1587178652_o.jpg

Several colours I have in plenty have been omitted from this since some are ridiculously close to the other colours already present.
Dark grey, blue, and green look exactly the same.  I could build an interlocking wall of random bricks in those colours and no one would be able to tell what was blue or green or not.
Yellow and lime green are both very close to beige, though a slight difference can be seen if they are put right next to each other.
Sand blue matches orange, and light blue matches grey.
Dark red, dark green, and dark blue are about the same as brown.

Here I've build a birch tree from beige and red, next to it are some wip red trees:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t31.0-8/q71/s720x720/1658444_821888391158676_1235656714_o.jpg

Here I have the red trees, a brown tree, and a rather pale wip orange tree:

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t31.0-8/q71/s720x720/10007328_821888497825332_1729948104_o.jpg

I'm usually very disappointed with the number of trees I can build with my limited brown bricks, but in greyscale I can make lots of ugly trees to help it along.

Though I am still trying to think of some good NPU.

Last edited by Squid (March 20, 2014 (08:20am))

You can't even tell they were bright colors. mini/smile
When you release pictures of the final sets you should have a color and a grey picture for comparison.

Squid wrote:

snip

Cool looks nice although Im not a big fan of the top of the birch tree it looks kind of out of place. But thats just my opinion.

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

Do those trees represent the visual style you're going for? I have this cool idea to make a really whispy, white tree, bit I haven't figured out how to make it as smooth as possible yet.

I love the birch tree, it looks really good. As a side note, all this grey scale looks totally normal because I've been printing a lot of black and white darkroom prints recently. I think part of your sets should be an old rock brick building; all the shades of grey could give you some really amazing realism. mini/smile

Just for kicks, I'd love to see the film in color, too!

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

You can't even tell they were bright colors. mini/smile

Actually, if you look really closely, you can see that orange an red bricks are ever so slightly translucent.  Not enough that you can see anything through it at all or even close, but the way that light comes off them is slightly different from other bricks.

Cool looks nice although I'm not a big fan of the top of the birch tree it looks kind of out of place. But that's just my opinion.

Do you not like the shade of grey, the shape, or the size?  I was planning to make it bigger, but I needed to find some more bricks first.

Do those trees represent the visual style you're going for? I have this cool idea to make a really whispy, white tree, bit I haven't figured out how to make it as smooth as possible yet.

Any more tree designs would be a nice thing to have, I usually use trees similar to these, but I also have the curved trees I use in my fairy-tale videos.  And I of course plan to use those here as well.

I think part of your sets should be an old rock brick building; all the shades of grey could give you some really amazing realism.

I was also thinking the same thing.  I was hoping to have the ruined remains of some small castle or medieval building since it takes place in England.

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Just for kicks, I'd love to see the film in color, too!

The film will never exist in colour, not even in a way which I'll be able to watch it.

There's a slight difference between how the shades of grey translate when draining the colour out of a picture rather than just setting my camera to greyscale.
It you take my comparison picture and drain the colour, you will find that there's an obvious difference between the two and the colours are not in the right order anymore.
Now, I could shoot it in colour then drain it, but I'd rather have the camera set to greyscale as so that I can be ever cognizant of exactly how everything looks in greyscale whilst shooting.  I can also use this to quickly point the camera at what I'm currently building so I can see how it looks rather than taking a colour photo, putting it on my computer, then draining the colour, which would be bothersome and time consuming.  It would also add an extra step to editing in the red frames, as I would have to drain each frame before starting.

In the end, there is no reason at all for colour version of the frames to exist except for a behind the scenes video where you can see everything looking remarkably ugly.
Though, I still do plan to take some pictures of the completed set in colour so one can still see how remarkably ugly is really is.
Though, I'm unsure if I'm going to release these before or after the final film.  It might be nice to wait so someone watching the film for the first time wouldn't remember how the actual set looked, which might take away from the film.

A long time ago, before 30 Years: The Story of the Minifigure and my hiatus, I was playing around with making a black and white zombie brickfilm, and I did similar experimenting with grayscale. Nothing ever came of it, but I was always interested in how different colors appeared when in grayscale, so thank you for showing us your process!

I particularly like the look of the birch tree. It isn't exactly like it's real-life counterpart, but it has an almost Seussical look to it. That, combined with the grayscale, really lends itself to a sinister look. I'm already really liking the visual direction of this film.

I would definitely want to see some in-color behind-the-scenes pictures of the sets at some point, though I completely understand your desire to not have too much shown before the film is completed.

The shape it seems a little flat to me and mabby just a tad small

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

You shouldn't release the color pictures until after the film. It will add to the air of mystic if no one else knows what the sets really look like in real life.

In 2004, LEGO changed the colour of brown and grey so that they were slightly different than before.  While the new bricks do look nicer, it's actually a bit of a problem since one cannot build anything with both shades without it looking strange.

In 2008, I sorted all of my old colours entirely out of my bins and into another container so that I wouldn't get confused.  And since then I just build with the new colour, though made an expectation for one scene in Pirates where there was an isolated scene in which I used entirely old colours.

But in greyscale, this problem doesn't matter as much, so I can still use the old colours to build even more trees:

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10151411_710555828967762_667143221_n.jpg

The shades of grey they produce still do not completely match up, so I still can't use them in a wall with each other, but it works well for having separate objects like these.

I've added seven trees thanks to this, and I might be able to make one or two more in old shades.  Added to the number of trees I had in LiF, I should probably have enough for the set.