Topic: "THAT SOUND" Contest

Greetings fellow brickfilmers,
    I have decided to host an informal contest. My aim is to make a contest where less experienced filmmakers can do well. So here's how it works:

Basically, all you have to do is make a movie. Any topic is fine. BUT . . . you HAVE to incorporate a certain sound. The sound is pre-recorded and I will send it to everyone who enters.

Content Restrictions:
Language) No language please. "Darn" or "heck," or anything of that caliber are acceptable.                   
Violence) Violence in moderation will be acceptable. Nothing graphic like Kooberz-Studio's "Battle of the Brick."
                  ABSOLUTLY NO SUGGESTIVE CONTENT!!!

Judging: The films will all be reviewed by a panel of judges. The 3 winners will be chosen based on: "Most-Realistic" use of the sound; "Most-Original" use of the sound; and "Funniest" use of the sound.   This contest will be good for anyone with limited resources or experience because it WILL NOT BE JUDGED ON QUALITY OF ANIMATION. It WILL be judged on blending of sound to video, and integration of "the sound."
Note: There will be no prizes awarded, unless someone generously volunteers to donate some. This will just be for the "glory."

Anyone interested in entering should send me a private message with their e-mail address (I don't know how to insert a sound file into a post), and I will send them the sound file they are to use. You can use the sound as many times as you want, or you can use it just once, it's up to you. The contest ends March 31st. The contest begins when I post this     . . . which I guess I just did.

If enough people show interest I may host another "THAT SOUND" contest. It may even become a regular event! If anyone has suggestions about things to change for the future, please leave a comment.

HAVE FUN!!!
MADHOUSE PRODUCTIONS, a.k.a "If I Were A Minifig"

Last edited by If I Were A Minifig (February 1, 2014 (02:28pm))

Now available to score films. https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

Re: "THAT SOUND" Contest

This should be in General Film Discussion, also, there should be a longer deadline, and you should say what the sound is or something.

Rockydude411Bricks wrote:

This should be in General Film Discussion, also, there should be a longer deadline, and you should say what the sound is or something.

Yea, no kiddin'!

I'd love to enter, but I don't get to animate until the weekends because of school and work.

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.
I am re-posting the contest in General Film Discussion. Also, I will extend the deadline to March 31st. Sound reasonable?
As far as what the sound is, I can't really give any info on that, as I'm not quite sure how to discribe it. Still, thanks for the suggestion. If you have anymore thoughts, please share.

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

If I Were A Minifig wrote:

"Darn" or "heck," or anything of that caliber are acceptable.

Would words like "crap", "hell" or "damn" be acceptable?   

Judging: The films will all be reviewed by a panel of judges. The 3 winners will be chosen based on: "Most-Realistic" use of the sound;

Why "Most Realistic"? You're killing off creativity here by judging the film base don whether they used the sound realistically. I'd say you should judge it based on the best use of the sound.

P.S. What is the sound, exactly?

"Most-Original" use of the sound;

You see, if you have the most original use of the sound as a judging category, why have the most realistic use?

This contest will be good for anyone with limited resources or experience because it WILL NOT BE JUDGED ON QUALITY OF ANIMATION.

I feel like it's not a good idea to completely omit the judging of animation. Just my opinion.

Anyone interested in entering should send me a private message with their e-mail address (I don't know how to insert a sound file into a post), and I will send them the sound file they are to use. You can use the sound as many times as you want, or you can use it just once, it's up to you.

Why not just include a public download link?

The contest ends February 28th.

That's kind of a short deadline, especially with school and such.

LASF,  Thank you for your suggestions.

Would words like "crap", "hell" or "damn" be acceptable?

The words you asked about are a bit stronger than what I'd like, but thanks for asking instead of assuming it would be OK.

Why "Most Realistic"?

I see where you're coming from. Basically, "Most Realistic" means, most probable; what this sound fits most naturally with. "Most Original" would be the most off-the-wall idea. Does that make sense? Or am I just crazy?

I feel like it's not a good idea to completely omit the judging of animation. Just my opinion.

While I understand that people work REEAALLY hard to make their movies look good, I don't want animation quality to weigh in the judging results. Here's why: This contest is supposed to give less experienced animators a chance to do well in a contest; people with less LEGO's, poorer cameras, and very little experience. Judging based partly on animation quality would be great for those well-respected, high skill animators, but it would hurt the group with little or no experience.

What is the sound, exactly?...Why not just include a public download link?

The sound is a short, home-recorded sound effect. I'm not quite sure how to describe it. If you know of a way to put the sound directly into the post, please let me know, and I will try to do that.

I have edited the deadline. It is now set for March 31st. This gives everyone a full two months to complete their entries.

I hope want to, and are able to enter.
MADHOUSE PRODUCTIONS a.k.a. "If I Were a Minifig

If I Were a Minifig wrote:

What is the sound, exactly?...Why not just include a public download link?

The sound is a short, home-recorded sound effect. I'm not quite sure how to describe it. If you know of a way to put the sound directly into the post, please let me know, and I will try to do that.

MediaFire is a good website for file sharing. Audacity is good for sound recording/editing.

I hope want to, and are able to enter.
MADHOUSE PRODUCTIONS a.k.a. "If I Were a Minifig

I might. This time of year is extremely hectic for me, so I can't be sure.

Just a reminder, there's only one month left in the "That Sound" Contest! If anyone else would like to enter, now would be the time. Just send me a PM with saying you'd like to enter, include your functioning e-mail address, and I will send you the sound file.

Submission: When you are done with your film, send me a PM with the link to the video attached, or post the link in a reply to this post. Entries received after March 31 will not be considered for "awards."
Most of all . . .

HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!! mini/wink