Topic: Three of my minifigure heads are stuck. How do I free them?

During THAC I got myself into a horrible pickle and I would very much appreciate any ideas anyone could give to help me out.

The problem is I have three heads stuck inside their helmets after I put sticky stuff into them.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5479/11951939186_e230518eef_c.jpg

I did this so that I could easily turn the heads while in their helmets so animation would be a lot easier.

The problem with this is that I haven't been able to get them back out again.

I used kneedable eraser to stick them in there, which is a grey sticky substance that doesn't dry out.
But I really need to find a way to get them out, Sophie's head especially, which I need for Welcome to Darkmoor, it's also from my first LEGO set.

Re: Three of my minifigure heads are stuck. How do I free them?

Try sticking the heads on a torso that fits them really tightly (like a brand new one) and then wiggling the helmets from side to side to loosen them.  Alternatively, you could attempt grip the bottom of the head with a pair of small pliers and pull it out.

If all else fails, you could take something thin like a knife blade (though probably something less sharp would be better as it otherwise may damage the plastic) and carefully try wedge it in just above the face between the head and the helmet to pry it loose.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Find a body that will stick inside the head. Depending on the differences in time between when certain bodies and heads were made, some can be really loose together and some can be really tight. Find a tight one - like, really tight, so that turning the head is difficult. Then try and pull it off slowly, pushing downwards on the face as you do. A word of caution: this method borders on nonsense, and probably won't work.

Then there's water. Is there any merit in the running these under a tap (upside down) and then leaving them out for a while (still upside down) before trying the method I stated above?

I am currently having similar issues. Helmets are stuck in my two LEGO bin pieces, and won't come out. I didn't stick them there - it was just from rambling around in my box and getting stuck by coincidence. Nothing I've tried has got them out, so I'm perhaps not the greatest authority on such subjects...:shifty:  I hope you manage to get them out, though!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

A thick neck won't work, there's too much stick.  Not even if one of these heads were perfectly fresh with a perfectly fresh torso.  Sophie's head also happens to be the third most loose head in my entire collection.

Using pliers on the neck would be horrible.  That would damage the neck.

I had this one idea of having something that could reach up into the neck and then latch onto the side of the inner head.  This would damage he inner head, but those scratched wouldn't be visible.
The problem it, I can't think of a tool which could do that.

I also wonder if I could soak it in some special liquid to weaken the eraser but leave the head undamaged.

You might try putting the head onto a thick neck and just slowly twist and wiggle the helmet from front to back as best you can.  That usually gives enough leverage to be able to pull it off the head.  If you can kind of hold your finger on the front of the face while you do this it can help hold the head all the way on the neck while the helmet (hopefully) can wiggle off.  Getting the sticky stuff out of the helmet might be tough but at least you'll have the heads out.

EDIT: I guess I said basically what jampot suggested but with the wiggling.  Wiggling is good.  This way has helped me get helmets off before.

I meant using a pair of really thin pliers to reach inside the head itself, which would prevent the neck from getting too damaged.  You could try also wrapping the nose of the pliers in something like duct tape, which would prevent scratches--though it might affect the grip.

Also, try using some of the same kneadable eraser on the neck of a torso, that way the head would stick to it much more.  It might be difficult to get off the torso afterwards, but it should be a lot easier than getting them out of the helmets.

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college

I meant using a pair of really thin pliers to reach inside the head itself, which would prevent the neck from getting too damaged.  You could try also wrapping the nose of the pliers in something like duct tape, which would prevent scratches--though it might affect the grip.

Also, try using some of the same kneadable eraser on the neck of a torso, that way the head would stick to it much more.  It might be difficult to get off the torso afterwards, but it should be a lot easier than getting them out of the helmets.

I find heads come out of helmets easier if you push the head/helmet backwards as you slowly wiggle them up the neck.

This is something I've never tried and may not work at all- but some mini figure heads have small holes inside the stud on top, perhaps you could bend a wire such that it could be poked up inside the head and hooked through the hole, then used to pull the head out that way? Just a wild suggestion if all else fails.

Jayem wrote:

This is something I've never tried and may not work at all- but some mini figure heads have small holes inside the stud on top, perhaps you could bend a wire such that it could be poked up inside the head and hooked through the hole, then used to pull the head out that way? Just a wild suggestion if all else fails.

That's actually pretty clever.
Though, I don't think the hook would be strong enough.  If it were thin enough to fit through the tiny holes then it probably wouldn't be strong enough.  These things are really, really stuck in there.  Wilson applied most of the stick.  Wilson really, really, really likes stick.  Wilson loves to put on as much stick as he can.  He put so much stick on that some excess came out of the back.

Insert a pair of thin pliers into the head and open them, then pull the head out while keeping the pliers open.

Insert something, like a screwdriver into the head. Pull while keeping enough pressure on the inside of the head.

These methods will damage the inside of the head.

Maybe try to cut the helmet off, starting with the bottom line, cut that off(with pliers), then put sissors inside and try to get it out. I'm not sure if that made any sense.

He doesn't want to damage them in any way.

I've never had this problem so please take what I am about to say with lots of salt...

The tool you might be looking for is a dental tool. It hooks at the end to scrape away plaque. They're sold with toothbrushes nowadays for a couple bucks. Perhaps you could hook the end inside the head and pull while holding on to the helmet.

Jared

Sometimes you can open a tight jar lid by putting it under some hot water, which makes the metal expand. Could something like that work with plastic as well? Or maybe it could at least help dissolve the "sticky stuff".. mini/smile

Found this on EuroBricks...

WaysofSorting wrote:

The old trick I used to use is to take a LEGO Goblet, which fits around the outside of the minifig head base, and then pull. The non-use of the outside of the head meant there was usually still enough clutch there to out-do the clutch of the headgear.
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2343

May not work with your sticky eraser stuff, but it's worth a try. mini/eh

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Found this on EuroBricks...

WaysofSorting wrote:

The old trick I used to use is to take a LEGO Goblet, which fits around the outside of the minifig head base, and then pull. The non-use of the outside of the head meant there was usually still enough clutch there to out-do the clutch of the headgear.
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2343

May not work with your sticky eraser stuff, but it's worth a try. mini/eh

I left the heads in a cup of water in an attempt to soak the stick and tried that goblet idea with my tightest goblet.
Sophie's head is free! mini/bigsmile

Thacker and Wolfram are still stuck, though.  The goblet won't be enough as it is.  Sophie was the only one where I applied the stick myself, Wilson did it with the other two.  Wilson uses a lot.

I take by sticky stuff you mean Plasticine, Clay or *Glue*, if so, I would either use a good tight screwdriver, and pull, as this has helped me, with surprisingly no damage.

Would butter work?

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

I have bought a couple of the LEGO key chains over the years and cut the chain off so that I could take off their heads.

I don't know how many people do this, but those who do will know how hard it is to get a head on and off the keychain bodies because the necks are unusually tight. When ever I have the problem you have, I stick the minifigure head on of the keychain body necks and it comes off very easily.

I don't think that will be very helpful, but I'm just throwing out suggestions. You can also try stacking the stuck heads on a small tower of a few other heads and try to pull it off, or search for bricks that could successfully do what the other minifig torsos couldn't.

EDIT: I am wording things extremely poorly today. mini/blankexpression

no more brickfilming *sad face*.