Topic: The Sherlock Discussion Thread

With Series 3 underway, I thought this might be a good time to post this thread.

In case anyone isn't familiar with it (though I'm guessing most here have at least heard of it), Sherlock is a British TV show based on the adventures of Sherlock Holmes but set modern-day London.  I'd highly recommend it--the writing is excellent and does a great job of balancing humour, action, and character development as well as updating the classic stories to the 21st century.

I expect this thread will go dormant from time to time, seeing as there are only 3 episodes in a series and there is often a long space of time between the series.

Anyway, for those of us who are familiar with the show, we can now discuss the latest episode (The Sign of Three).  It was definitely on the more light-hearted side, but I liked the way it interwove seemingly unrelated stories which came together in the end.  There were quite a few funny moments, especially with Sherlock and the ring-bearer kid (can't remember his name).  Also, this.

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014-01/enhanced/webdr02/6/17/anigif_enhanced-buzz-25467-1389049131-2.gif

The trailer for the last episode (which is airing tonight) has also been released, and this promises to be very interesting.  The villain certainly wins the Creepy Award, which is somewhat surprising, as Charles Augustus Magnusson is clearly based off Charles Augustus Milverton from the books.  (In the original novels, he is described as being jolly-looking and plump, "not unlike Mr. Pickwick".)

So, if you enjoy the show or just like Sherlock Holmes, feel free to discuss away!

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Re: The Sherlock Discussion Thread

Strangely enough, I just started watching Series One of Sherlock for the first time. I had fairly high expectations, but I was still amazed by how good it was.

Now I suppose I ought to leave this thread before I see any spoilers...

I love Sherlock Holmes and I love Sherlock.

The cast is good and I find the cinematography or camera work very creative and enjoyable.
The whole third season is definitely on the light-hearted side, which isn't necessarily bad. I really enjoyed the most recent episode, and I can't wait for the next one tomorrow.

Who wants to bet a hugely significant character will die in tonight's episode?

So how much content is taken from the books? I haven't seen the show, but lately I've been making my way through some of Doyle's original mysteries. In the first post, you mentioned a character from the books, and also the episode title, "Sign of Three." One of the first mysteries Holmes and Watson go on together is titled "The Sign of Four." I wonder if that was intentional.... mini/tongue

@Lucas: Given that it's Moffat, it isn't unlikely, but I'm not sure that there are any characters that can die.

Spoiler (click to read)

Moriarty is dead (apparently), Sherlock already faked his death, Watson and Lestrade can't be killed off as they're core characters central to any Sherlock Holmes story.  Same goes for Mycroft and Mrs. Hudson.  Mary I think has been around too little to warrant a death--besides, killing her straight after Sherlock's deduction at the finale of last week's episode would be far too quick and abrupt.  Donovan and Anderson are possibilities but they're not really hugely significant.  I suppose that leaves Molly as a possible victim but we haven't really seen her around much in Series 3...

I think the episode might end with a cliffhanger where Sherlock and Watson are in danger/a standoff with Magnusson (not unlike the end of Series 1).

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college

Mighty Wanderer wrote:

So how much content is taken from the books? I haven't seen the show, but lately I've been making my way through some of Doyle's original mysteries. In the first post, you mentioned a character from the books, and also the episode title, "Sign of Three." One of the first mysteries Holmes and Watson go on together is titled "The Sign of Four." I wonder if that was intentional.... mini/tongue

Well, the episodes are often quite loosely based off the original stories but there is usually a unique twist to the story.  For instance, The Reichenbach Fall, which is the Series 2 finale, is--as in the original story--the final stand-off between Moriarty and Sherlock.  However, it doesn't actually take place over a waterfall, like in the original, but rather the name is a reference to a valuable painting that Sherlock recovers, a case which makes him famous and puts him in the public spotlight.  Probably the cleverest reference or twist is in The Hound of the Baskervilles --though I won't spoil it.

The names of the episodes are usually puns or references to the stories they are based off, such as, A Study in Pink (A Study in Scarlet), A Scandal in Belgravia (A Scandal in Bohemia), The Empty Hearse (The Adventure of the Empty House), and of course The Sign of Three as you mentioned.

In the show itself, Watson (who writes a blog) makes reference to other cases that he and Holmes have solved, such as "the speckled blonde" or "the geek interpreters".

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (January 12, 2014 (09:30am))

FlyingMinifig wrote:

@Lucas: Given that it's Moffat, it isn't unlikely, but I'm not sure that there are any characters that can die.

Spoiler (click to read)

Moriarty is dead (apparently), Sherlock already faked his death, Watson and Lestrade can't be killed off as they're core characters central to any Sherlock Holmes story.  Same goes for Mycroft and Mrs. Hudson.  Mary I think has been around too little to warrant a death--besides, killing her straight after Sherlock's deduction at the finale of last week's episode would be far too quick and abrupt.  Donovan and Anderson are possibilities but they're not really hugely significant.  I suppose that leaves Molly as a possible victim but we haven't really seen her around much in Series 3...

I think the episode might end with a cliffhanger where Sherlock and Watson are in danger/a standoff with Magnusson (not unlike the end of Series 1).

Spoiler (click to read)

Well they have been teasing redbeard. Mark Gatiss even said "Redbeard." on Twitter a couple of days ago. Infact he also said "sometimes, someone must die" or something to that effect so it's not entirely impossible that Mycroft could die.

I love this show.

I'm not going to spoil it for anyone, but we just had episode 3 over here in England.

Seriously

Legen

dary.

I'm not even kidding.

Watch until the very end of the credits.

You will

not

be

disappointed.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Moffat - why do you suck so much when you write Doctor Who, but are so awesome when you write Sherlock?

Although, Moffat has a habit of continuously bringing back characters from the dead when its so obvious that there going to come back from the dead and he shouldn't have bothered 'killing' them in the first place. Sherlock and The Doctor at some point went to the same masterclass Aslan, Gandalf, and Jesus did (can anyone give me a flyer?)

YouTube
Max, She/They

Plot twist: Aslan and Jesus ARE THE SAME PERSON mini/eek mini/eek mini/eek mini/eek mini/eek mini/eek mini/eek

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein