Re: Brickflickers

I wouldn't trust any computer program with your life, Lucas.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Lucas wrote:

Not sure what spelling mistake you are talking about, but we will be looking for "content reviewers" later on who will review every article and edit them if he/she finds any spelling mistake or awkward wording (which should not happen, I TRUST MICROSOFT WORD WITH MY LIFE!

Well, an example would be "wont" instead of "won't" in the review of The Meek and the Bold; also, there were some missing commas in the Indiana Scones review.  I also seem to recall seeing a few typos/mistakes in Squid's interview, although I'm not sure if it was Squid or Hal (or someone else) who actually typed it up.

Of course, my mere mortal observations pale in the face of the power of Microsoft Word!  It is the answer to everything!  One day it will cure cancer and end world poverty!  It is more just a simple document-typing program... IT IS THE SOLUTION TO LIFE ITSELF!      ...     *cricket noises*

mini/shifty

Seriously, it doesn't even recognise "phosphodiesterase" as a word.  What sort of a self-respecting computer program does that?!

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

ah, most of those were onions articles so I don't have to defend myself, keep complaining!

FlyingMinifig wrote:

I also seem to recall seeing a few typos/mistakes in Squid's interview, although I'm not sure if it was Squid or Hal (or someone else) who actually typed it up.

That's my bad.  I was typing it on Skype, which has no spell check.  Without it I am lost.
I suggest in the future doing the interviews in E-mail of through a BiM message, that way we can type with spellcheck or just run it through a spellcheck to see if the person messed anything up.

Hal wrote:

Very refreshing to see Filmyguy do a none superhero film, and...

Just caught that while reading the latest article. I don't want to come off as a grammer/spelling nazi but I figure I'd point it out since I was going to post anyway.

Speaking of posts, I'm enjoying them so far! I also am really liking the analysis of brickfilms. I would enjoy reading more about what you didn't like about specific brickfilms - not negative criticism mind you, but how it could be improved. Granted that could get overly subjective, but I'm interesting in seeing how you can use the blog to help people improve with their brickfilms. I love the idea of helping people learn and revise, and if you could do that somehow it would be pretty neat.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

I was actually thinking of doing a constructive review of your latest film tomorrow or something. Should probably get that started.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

Oh gosh, me and my big mouth. mini/mrgreen

Walter Benson wrote:
Hal wrote:

Very refreshing to see Filmyguy do a none superhero film, and...

Just caught that while reading the latest article. I don't want to come off as a grammer/spelling nazi but I figure I'd point it out since I was going to post anyway.

No, no, it's not a mistake.

It's a none superhero film because there are none super heroes in it.  Just like how there are none rhinos in my house right now, or how there are none hats on my head right now.  I am a none hat man.
Seriously, Walter, get with the picture.

Squid.... what...

Anyways, a few of us have short little bios on the site right now, not exactly exciting news, but just something to get to know us a little better and such.

Squid wrote:

No, no, it's not a mistake.

It's a none superhero film because there are none super heroes in it.  Just like how there are none rhinos in my house right now, or how there are none hats on my head right now.  I am a none hat man.
Seriously, Walter, get with the picture.

Pfft, you ain't seen nothin' yet.  I'm a none hat man, yet I like wearing hats, so I am none none hat man.  Except I'm not actually wearing a hat right now, so that really makes me a none none none hat man right now.  But my current avatar is in fact wearing a hat so I could conceivably be a none none none none hat man...

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I think Brickflickers is off to a good start, and I look forward to its growth, but I have some suggestions. In the following, "you" refers to the collective "you" of the Brickflickers writing staff.

I want to see longer, in-depth reviews. Don't be afraid to be critical! A review full of praise is ego-boosting, but doesn't help the filmmaker improved. In your review of The Meek and the Bold, you state:

The story however; not quite the best. The script, for what it is, is nicely written, but the finished film seems somewhat lacking. I can't put my finger on, but I feel like the story line could have been developed a bit more.

You're writing a review, you SHOULD force yourself to "put your finger on it." Give me specifics. Cite examples. Expand upon your opinion. You need to back up your statements with explanations and examples.

Vary your sentence length; paragraphs should flow rhythmically. Be wary of run-on sentences. Spell check!

Be firm in your sentiments! Most of what I have read so far makes me feel like you're afraid of offending. Some people will take offense, even at the smallest and most well-meaning critiques. But that's their problem, not yours. Most people will value an opinion as long as is backed up with thought-out arguments backed by examples and suggestions. Stop tiptoeing and run!

Take The Meek and the Bold for example. Is the story lacking because in the end it's just two characters talking? Was the climax weak? Would better voice acting or sound design improve it? Was the dialog convoluted or unrealistic? Did the story feel rushed? Was the story just not interesting compared to the rest of the film?

Here's something I put together:

"While The Meek and the Bold excels at set design and cinematography, I feel its story falls a little short. The premise - a retelling of Saint Nick as a sort of mob boss who threatens and intimidates ne'er-do-wells with immolation - is fun, but we don't get to see enough of this character. The start of the story is too abrupt, and without context and backstory to support the characters the audience may find themselves struggling to keep up. Perhaps The Meek and the Bold would benefit from at longer running time, where the motivations of Nikolai Klaus can be explored."

That's just an example. It presents a critique, examines why you feel that way, and offers a solution.

To sum up: Good start, but don't be afraid to take risks and get messy! Present your opinion, and present it proudly! And some in-depth constructive critique is always helpful.

Last edited by Nathan Wells (January 21, 2014 (01:33pm))

Nathan Wells wrote:

Some people will take offense, even at the smallest and most well-meaning critiques. But that's your problem, not yours.

So whose problem is it?

...Sorry couldn't resist mini/tongue

Have a nice day! mini/smile

YouTube

Whoops, typo. Obviously I meant "it's their problem, not yours."

Nathan Wells wrote:

Whoops, typo. Obviously I meant "it's their problem, not yours."

No prob.  Just had to do it. - mention it I mean

Anyway, I agree with what you say.  There is a lack of argument and criticism, which, as you say, can help the brickfilmer improve.

Have a nice day! mini/smile

YouTube

Atm (for my reviews at least), I've chosen brickfilms that I feel deserve more attention so that's why mine have been fairly positive ("The Motel" and "Indiana Scones", I didn't write the other reviews.) but once I'm done with that I'm gonna go more for the brickfilms that should be reviewed closer and more in-depth.

For my "The Motel" review I brought up some negative aspects but then explained why they weren't a problem for me and instead enhanced the viewing experience. Indiana Scones is pretty much flawless in my eyes but I still brought up some negative aspects.

Nathan Wells wrote:

I want to see longer, in-depth reviews. Don't be afraid to be critical! A review full of praise is ego-boosting, but doesn't help the filmmaker improved.

I feel particularly guilty about this, seeing as I was going to write a critical review today, but got bogged down with other stuff I had to do so I had no free time at home, hopefully I'll do it tomorrow.

Dubbly-bubbly post

As promised, here is my pretty critical review of Walter Benson's THAC film, Fitz and Flubblewalf. Sorry if it sounds a bit too negative, especially considering it's a THAC film, but I'd like to judge films on their own merits so that people can learn from the mistakes made. I didn't think it was a terrible film by any means, I just wanted to stress the importance of some of the annoyances I had with it.

Yet despite it's flaws Fitz and Flubblewalf is my favorite of the THAC 11 entries.

Woah, that's some wall of text and negative criticism. Can't you cut a guy some slack? mini/tongue

Seriously though, I enjoyed the analysis. Most of the problems you pointed out were things I agreed with from the time I finished the film. I really don't feel the need to defend myself on this. It's a THAC entry for Pete's sake.

I would like to suggest maybe cutting down on so much text in the review posts. That might be kind of hard to do, but like Fitz and Flubberwalf it can start to feel drawn out and boring. Multiple paragraphs about critical analysis start to lose their appeal if they're too long or contain too many extra words. I suppose you could say it's cute at first but coupled with the repetitive analysis of the film it starts to drag quite a lot.

(Okay okay, don't take that the wrong way. I'm half-kidding.)

Mainly I'm just saying that if you can cut it down to mean the same thing in a shorter amount of time, it'll be more likely that people will take the time out to read it and it'll be better overall.

With that said, I'd like to propose something else as well.

I challenge you guys at Brickflickers to take the THAC entries that you loved (and rightly so!), and critically analyse them. Maybe not all of them, but just one or two. I shouldn't be the only THAC contestant who gets that honor!

Keep up the good work! I want to see you guys continue improving. mini/smile

New review is up. It's a blast from the past!!!

Nostalgic Brickfilms

Last edited by CarrollFilms (January 26, 2014 (11:46am))

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?