Topic: How to talk a minifigure?

After i saw the trailer of "The Lego Movie", I was intrigued , I said to myself "
How they did it? 
http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab90/federicodenni/images2_zps7198160c.jpeg

Last edited by Squirrels Armed Studios (January 5, 2014 (05:38am))

-  Don't trust of the squirrels   -

Re: How to talk a minifigure?

Since it is CGI, I would suppose they animated it using some form of CGI, although, the film looks like real Lego.

The film is a mix of CGI and traditional stop motion, though it's primarily the former. The animated faces are all CGI.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Do you know any software?

I'm not sure I understand your question. If you are wondering about how a minifigure can speak, it's simple. You can use animation software, such as Gimp--or even MS Paint mini/lol --to add mouth animation to a minifigure. Have you ever tried that?

And then you asked another question:

Do you know any software?

Once again, I don't understand. mini/confused Are you asking about what kind of software the "filmmakers" used to make the CGI in that film, I would probably infer that it's a software similar to one a real brickfilmer would use to make his/her films. I'm not sure, though.

As for this upcoming feature-length project that includes LEGO, I highly doubt that any real stop-motion was used to make the film. It all looks like CGI, and no real stop-motion. I could be wrong though, but that's my guess considering this Wikipedia article clearly states that it is computer-animated.

I hope your questions have been answered. mini/smile

Last edited by Mickey (January 5, 2014 (11:30am))

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

I saw this thread's title and thought it was about how to talk to minifigures mini/sad

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator

Sorry me,but my brothers distracted and I wrote wrong.
Know you some software to talk the minifigure?

I don't animate mouths, but if I did, I'd use my favorite photoshop type program to put n open mouth on a green background, then chroma key it in on Vegas Studio (or favorite video editor with chroma-key).  The Lego Movie, as others have said, is all CGI so they used rendering software for everything.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Try Papagayo. Lots of tutorials on the net.

Sean wrote:

The film is a mix of CGI and traditional stop motion, though it's primarily the former. The animated faces are all CGI.

In the preview description: "CGI film" there is no stop motion.

The CGI animation is meant to give the look and feel of real Lego, as if to show it is done using stop-motion.

Sean wrote:

Thats what the director said I read it on the set bump.

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

After Effects is one of the better ways to impose facial animation over stop motion footage. If you were doing in 3D, you'd animate the head's texture with the appropriate facial animation.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

osomstudios wrote:
Sean wrote:

Thats what the director said I read it on the set bump.

But all we've seen so far has been CGI.

I've found that with After Effects, there is an effect called cc cylinder, I believe. You make the mouth animation in one layer (using reference images of the minifig's face), then you can map it onto a cylinder and line it up with the minifig's face (allowing you to turn and move the head in the animation). One example of a similar technique can be found here, created by InsomniacAnimations.

http://bricksafe.com/files/Legoguy501/BiM%20Signature.png
2nd place Darkness and Light entry: The Tree
Behind the Scenes

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

I don't animate mouths, but if I did, I'd use my favorite photoshop type program to put n open mouth on a green background, then chroma key it in on Vegas Studio (or favorite video editor with chroma-key)

But why to make a green background, if you are using a photoshop type program you can just export it with transparent background. mini/confused

See this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XER5jtg0o2A
There's a Aquamorph 's tutorial  and it helped me.

Mickey wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your question. If you are wondering about how a minifigure can speak, it's simple. You can use animation software, such as Gimp--or even MS Paint mini/lol --to add mouth animation to a minifigure. Have you ever tried that?

I have already tried to be talked a minifigure with Paint or Gimp, but the result did not satisfy me.

BoatsAreRockable wrote:

I saw this thread's title and thought it was about how to talk to minifigures mini/sad

I think that sites in these posts will help you.
I thanks jahnocli  mini/smile , for this post.
Papagayo is a lip-syncing program designed to help you line up phonemes (mouth shapes) with the actual recorded sound of actors speaking. Papagayo makes it easy to lip sync animated characters by making the process very simple - just type in the words being spoken (or copy/paste them from the animation's script), then drag the words on top of the sound's waveform until they line up with the proper sounds and I recommend using it.

The Lego Movie is a CGI and stopmotion films , I have a cousin who works there. (He 's a animator of a pirate mini/confused  ).
However, I know that you can also animate with Maya 3d.

VerkkuUkkeliProductions wrote:
HoldingOurOwn wrote:

I don't animate mouths, but if I did, I'd use my favorite photoshop type program to put n open mouth on a green background, then chroma key it in on Vegas Studio (or favorite video editor with chroma-key)

But why to make a green background, if you are using a photoshop type program you can just export it with transparent background. mini/confused

I guess you could!  I don't know how I missed that!  I also would put a bit of transparency to the layer, not making it completely opaque, so that it's not completely black black, and there is a bit of texture to it from the Lego layer.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."