Topic: Reflecting Lego Bricks

Hey guys. Whenever I film a shot with new bricks (which is a large portion of my collection) I can see my minifigures reflection and looks very amateur. I use a canon t4i with 2-4 regular florescent lamps. Any advice is much appreciated mini/smile

-Muffin

Re: Reflecting Lego Bricks

If it's the minifigure's reflection, it's not a big deal. That's normal.
Now, if it's something that will change frame-to-frame or break the fourth wall, then you've got a problem.
(Be it the computer screen, you, the camera, something else.)

But if it's only reflecting the minifigs or other walls and things, you're fine. And there's not much you can do about it.
Perhaps reducing the amount of light, and then turning up the exposure to compensate? I don't know.

I kinda like contained reflections, as it seems like a more real world, and if it's reflecting the set, it feels less two-walled set-like and more real complete room/location like. So I've never tried to get rid of them.

Ok thanks. It's not too much of a problem it's just that I don't see it in many other brickfilms.

I actually like the reflections on LEGO minifigures and the walls.  That's what LEGO does, so it looks nice.

The only problem with it is when it reflects you.
To deal with this, I just duck down every time I take a frame so that I will never appear in the reflections and thus shall not look inconsistent from frame to frame.

I put my lego set at an angle so that it doesn't reflect to me or my camera.

I agree with Squid.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

If you don't like the reflections, I suggest dabbing modeling clay or some other pudding that's sticky all over the wall. The clay will fog up the bricks and won't make them reflective.

You have to be careful doing what tenny suggested, though, it can leave an ugly smeary look on the bricks.

Thanks guys. Yeah I don't know if I'll do what tenny said because I dont want to damage or ruin my bricks.