Topic: Let's Talk About 2013!

I was going to wait until tomorrow. But, what the heck, I'll go ahead and post it now. And I would post it in the Community forum, but I can't get in there. So, here goes.

I have an idea for a thread we should do every year. It's simple; we can just talk about all the exciting forum-related happenings that went on this past year. And with 2014 on the way, what better time to discuss the old year than at the beginning of the new one? So, I wanna hear what you guys thought were some of your favourite moments of this past year. Here, I'll go ahead and start.

One of my best memories of 2013 would have to be BRAWL. It was so exciting and pleasing for me to see all the positive feedback that my entry received, and--in the months to follow--watch my entry grow to become somewhat of a "cult film".

And Happy New Year, everyone!

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Re: Let's Talk About 2013!

Brawl was amazing.

That's....yes.

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

PushOverProductions wrote:

My Brawl film was amazing.

Fixed. mini/wink

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

What a good thread idea! mini/yes

I really had fun this year with brickfilming, especially in the later year. I'm proud of myself for entering more contests, and trying my hardest to improve. I'm stunned by all the great comments/critiques I've been getting. I hope to release a showreel to show all my progress. I've had a great year, and I'm glad I spent it here! mini/delirium

Happy New Years!

P.S. I also learned onion rings have layers.

BRAWL was probably my favorite part of the year. I really hope to do a LOT more brickfilming next year, since I really didn't do much this year. mini/tongue

I really enjoyed making Love in Black and White because I was working a summer job while animating it. Most everyday I had off I would animate. I never thought I could work a job and make a brickfilm like that, but I was able to! I was very happy.

Also I'm really glad I got to meet so many brickfilmers. So many fascinating people.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

Mickey wrote:
PushOverProductions wrote:

My Brawl film was amazing.

Fixed. mini/wink

It took me a couple minutes to figure out what happened there.

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

Kony 2012!!!

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Pony 2012!!!

2013 hasn't really been a very good year for me so far as brickfilms are concerned.  I moved and lost a lot of a lot of time I could have been filming.  The only films I have released were made for THAC and BRAWL.  I'm sad to not be releasing a super-project this year like Pirates or Bank.  I probably won't have any super-projects out until 2014 when I'll have two.

But, on the bright side, I do have a much better studio, and and I'm in a really good mood for filming, and I've made a load of progress on several scripts, so I should be making a bunch of stuff next year and I should be filming very often.

But the best part was probably BRAWL, which was a lot of fun, and not too stressful.  After having already done well in THAC it felt a lot better, even though I hadn't very properly animated something from a film in a long while.

Also, THAC was really great this year.  My favourite part is how people have been saying that I got on skype and went crazy even though I do not remember me having done that.

I remember being really busy at work during the week of BRAWL so I think that's why I didn't enter. I loved everyone's entries though.

Also Squid, I suggest you don't wait to long in starting back up on brickfilming. It took me roughly 5 months after the last THAC until I started animating anything. It was like I fell into this brickfilming slump or something. I'm worried that'll happen again this new year unless I do something soon! mini/eek

For me, 2013 was the most uneventful year for brickfilming. My old camera got messed up many times, computer didn'nt work (still doesn't) and no real motivation or spark happened for me to make a film. However, 2014 should hopefully change that, as over the holidays I've written two WIP scripts, and hopefully I can start animation when I get a new program and get used to my current camera. Fingers crossed

Walter Benson wrote:

Also Squid, I suggest you don't wait to long in starting back up on brickfilming. It took me roughly 5 months after the last THAC until I started animating anything. It was like I fell into this brickfilming slump or something. I'm worried that'll happen again this new year unless I do something soon! mini/eek

For 2013 I made my first and only new year's resolution ever to animate at least once every month, even if it was just a test.  Since doing this practice, I've stayed relatively in the spirit even in the year where I didn't make as much as I should have.

I want to start Leprechauns in France right away, but I need Onion's lines.

I'm not exactly an integral part of the community, and I haven't been on the forums for very long, so I can't say much about what has happened. I have big plans for the coming year -I've made it one of my resolutions to release at least five five-minute films before 2015.

Have a very happy new year!

Wow, 2013 has been a big year for me, brickfilming-wise; it's the year I finally started!  I had been wanting to make films for several years, but for some reason I never got round to it till then.  I started out from having just joined this site and having next to no experience filming, to making and releasing two films.  I even got second place in the Contrast contest, which I suppose isn't bad for someone who's only ever made two films. 

Nevertheless, I had nowhere near the amount of time I wanted to dedicate to brickfilming.  I had been hoping to release at least one more film this year, but ever since Monochrome I have barely had time to do a few animation tests, let alone a film, and I had been stuck in something of a creative rut for some time.  Plus, I'll be rather busy in the near future and probably have very little time to brickfilm over the coming months--though I'm really looking forward to the summer, in which I'll have loads of time to film.

However, things have been recently looking up for me--I've had several new ideas and have even started writing a script, something which will probably be my biggest film to date and certainly is radically different from anything I've ever attempted.  In fact, I'm confident enough to say that you can expect a casting call quite soon...ish. 

A big thanks is also due to the community here on Bricks in Motion, for being supportive and giving me feedback for my stuff.

So, in short, I'm ready and waiting for 2014!

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (December 31, 2013 (10:18am))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

For me 2013 was outstanding brickfilm-wise. Although I didn't make too many films, I believe I've produced some of my best work in my opinion. I got a new camera new editing software, and also I've actually learned to analyze and break down movies rather than watch them at face-value.

2013 wasn't the best though for me when it comes to my personal life. A lot of crap happened that's taught me a lot about life and the nature of people. I won't go into it for obvious reasons.

Well, 2013 was the year I was sitting my room one day in October when a thought popped into my head: "I want to return to brickfilming."

I only managed to release Derricking Ball this year, but I have Alex and Derrick: Five Years Later plus my delayed THAC film in the works, and I already have ideas for many new films.

So that's kind of a big deal for me.

ANOTHER POSITIVE THREAD, YOU GUYS ARE GREAT.

For me this has been a great year on so many levels, including animation-wise! I've finally rekindled my love for the art form and the wonderful people in the community. I've done something I've never done before and release 3 brickfilms in a month! I've also completed my first proper THAC and my 2nd BRAWL with two films I'm really proud of.

As far as others go, I've seen the blossoming of many brickfilmers such as Chris W, Walter Benson, Pushover, Funsucker, Jstuidos, and many more! As well as the continual progression of others, including those returning to the community.

I have high hopes for 2014 and I think we have many, many reasons to be hopeful for an even more talented community this time next year. Happy new year, guys!

(Obscured Outlooks has been our greatest success)

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

I've released 7 brickfilms this year... That's pretty good.

What is unfortunate is my inactivity on Bricks in Motion for weeks, but that's normal because I'm an administrator on another filmmaking community.

I really liked BRAWL and THAC, but I can't stand my short videos anymore. I need to get working on a big project now, something like I Am The Night.

Loïc F-B wrote:

I need to get working on a big project now, something like I Am The Night.

I wish more people would work on gigantic projects.  They are extremely fun to release, and you learn a lot while making them.

Though, I don't think that I Am The Night will ever live up to the hype.  I feel like some people may have become a little too excited for it.