Re: CON [THAC 11]

CarrollFilms wrote:

The world isn't going to live off of video quality mini/rolleyes

Everyone knows that 144p is what all of the cool kids are doing: http://youtu.be/yasEDoTeaRI

Loïc F-B wrote:
CarrollFilms wrote:
Loïc F-B wrote:

Maybe, but if the cinematography is good I don't really care about that.

And the world isn't going to live off of animation... mini/wink

People tend to enjoy smooth animation over video quality. Sure the little FX in this are nice but when all of that is stripped from it, you have VA'ing and animation. SO when it comes to the barebones you can either have nice smooth animation and nice VA'ing, or you can take nice visuals over mediocre animation.

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Squid wrote:
CarrollFilms wrote:

Everyone knows that 144p is what all of the cool kids are doing: http://youtu.be/yasEDoTeaRI

Next year everyone will use 144p mini/lol

CarrollFilms wrote:
Loïc F-B wrote:
CarrollFilms wrote:

And the world isn't going to live off of animation... mini/wink

People tend to enjoy smooth animation over video quality. Sure the little FX in this are nice but when all of that is stripped from it, you have VA'ing and animation. SO when it comes to the barebones you can either have nice smooth animation and nice VA'ing, or you can take nice visuals over mediocre animation.

I personally think that if the story is good, people tend to enjoy cinematography over smooth animation.

And I'm not talking about Video quality, I'm talking about Cinematography. The lighting is very important.

CarrollFilms wrote:

People tend to enjoy smooth animation over video quality. Sure the little FX in this are nice but when all of that is stripped from it, you have VA'ing and animation.

What are you talking about? There are literally no visual effects in this film other than the small fade at the end, which I don't think really counts.

i think what makes a film good has nothing to do with animation or cinematography or anything!! it has to do with the content and how it's executed!! which i think this film does a very good job of doing - the point was clear and interesting and executed it's idea very well. i like this entry a lot!!

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

I have received a good number of questions about how the lighting was done in this film. For the general lighting I used the normal desk lamps with paper on them to diffuse the light. An umbrella light without the umbrella was also used as a fill light. The stylized lighting was done with a strand of multi-colored LED lights. I bought them here http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers-Co … lmf_tit_14 The LED lights can be changed to practically any color but I have found the some colors cause flickering. The entire film was shot with a low depth of field so when the lights are placed on the background it makes pretty bokeh. I had the lens a between f2.8 and f4 for the entire film for maximum bokeh. The shutter speed was fast to make the frames dark to make it look like night. Here is a picture of the set up for the opening scene.

http://i.imgur.com/LxfkWI1.jpg

That's great!

AquaMorph wrote:

The shutter speed was fast to make the frames dark to make it look like night.

Fast exposures are not very good if you want to avoid flickering.

Loïc F-B wrote:

That's great!

AquaMorph wrote:

Well, I use pretty long exposures and look where that gets me.
I watched it without blinking, and there's only one shot with flickering, so it did turn out pretty well.

(And when I did that I noticed the hidden frame.  I missed that before)

It seems like a good idea to have bright lighting, though.  There seems to be a bunch of light still coming through that window.

Loïc F-B wrote:

That's great!

AquaMorph wrote:

Most shots were done at a shutter speed of 1/60. I'm not sure if that is considered fast for a brickfilming, but you should not have any major flicker problems at that speed in video or timelapse photography.

Wow, this film is great. I especially love that lighting (could we get behind the scenes please?).  The narration is great, too.

I'm not sure I understood the final twist, though since you've explained it now it makes more sense.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

FilmmakersGuide wrote:
Loïc F-B wrote:

That's great!

AquaMorph wrote:

Most shots were done at a shutter speed of 1/60. I'm not sure if that is considered fast for a brickfilming, but you should not have any major flicker problems at that speed in video or timelapse photography.

1/60 is pretty good.

I do most of mine around 1/5 or 1/8.