Re: THAC 11 is on the way!

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Fantastic!!!!
Er, I mean, it has a lot to live up to, so make sure it's really good. mini/wink

I'm about to wrap on my Christmas in a Minute video, and as soon as that's done I'm off to cleaning my room and building sets for THAC. (Mostly the former...)

Looking forward to your films.
Also how's the progress on Steampunk? you said you wanted to finish it this year.

END films wrote:

Also how's the progress on Steampunk? you said you wanted to finish it this year.

I'm sure that Pritchard, like many brickfilmers, wants to finish their film by the end of the year, but that can be a little difficult.
I wanted to finish Pirates Rule in 2010, but it came out in 2011.  I wanted to finish Bank in 2011, but it came out in 2012.  I wanted to finish I am the Night this year, but I'll be lucky if I get it out in two years.

Not to get off topic, but it is done. I've been waiting for quite some time on my composer.
It was supposed to be done a month ago, but things popped up that delayed everything... mini/blankexpression

Still, I'm concentrating most of my energy right now on prepping for THAC. (AKA, cleaning room, organizing and gathering Lego, watching too much Doctor Who, Ect..) STEAMPUNK can wait a bit longer I think.

I'm animating a pre-THAC test montage right now.  It's looking pretty good so far.

Anyone have any ideas for random fun things to animate?  I'm taking suggesting.

A guy spinning on one foot getting faster and faster http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p84/UberSocks/65.gif also rapidly slicing something with two swords would be fun to see.

Walking on walls and ceilings.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

ForlornCreature wrote:

Prizes still haven't been distributed for the last THAC!
mini/blankexpression

Second time Forlorn's posted this with no response, could use addressing.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

By the time I'm done with my most recent brickfilm it will be THAC.

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

So I've never done a THAC before and this year I really want to do it (my coach had better let me take off from swimming for a day).  Unfortunately I'll have to be ready when the theme is announced at 3AM Saturday so I may die while filming.

Since I plan on entering, do any of you weathered veterans have any tips?

I don't think I'll use my DSLR, it requires a lot more work (for me, at least) and I have two battery packs but I'm not entirely sure they'll be enough.  I might set my DSLR up and document (talk to myself) while I film in case I want to release one of those fancy THACumentaries.
I am a little worried about the editing, iMovie (I know, I'm just that cool) has been REALLY laggy lately and if it freezes up when I'm trying to work I think I'll scream. 

Prebuilt sets would work best for me, but I'll probably end up procrastinating and then have to build during the 24 hours.  Oh well.

Amen to that JonnD. My first time too, I hope I'll be able to enter. I doubt I'll finish anyway mini/XD
I seriously need tips on how to prepare, and act during Thac.

"With those bricks we know and love, anything is a possibility!"-Smoky Air Studios

Same as I, if I even get to join.

Think I might try and enter this time.  I've never got around to entering THAC before, but I haven't animated since summer (as I've been away at University), and this would be a perfect opportunity to get back into it.  (This is the part where I discover all my Lego has disappeared and my camera no longer works).

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2889/8957456571_f23867aeec_o.jpg
PITCH Part 1 Out Now!
Part 2 Coming Soon

JonnDthunDer wrote:

Since I plan on entering, do any of you weathered veterans have any tips?

I've only entered one THAC,  but a really good idea that I had was to avoid walk-cycles.  A good walk can be sort of slow and take a gigantic chunk of time.
Instead, try going for a slightly more cartoony approach, such as having a character slide in and out of the scene in a delightfully ridiculous manner.  It's obviously not realistic, but a good slide is remarkably easy if you do the correct easing with it and can be done in just a few minutes whereas a walk cycle of the same distance could take much much longer, perhaps even an hour.

If you're having trouble with your editing software, you'll probably need to make sure to give it a whole lot of time.  I tried to finish animating around midnight last time which gave me 7 hours to edit render and upload.
Try to get a good estimate based upon how it's currently working.

Yeah! I setted an alarm clock and wrote the day and hour down in the calendar mini/bigsmile
PS Wow, I'm gonna have large amount of productions at Christmas holiday (I just uploaded a "Christmas in a Minute" entry) after the long, long, long break from brickfilming mini/sunnies
Good luck 4 every competitor mini/mrgreen

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8577/16193235411_c1cfb34b21_o.png
MY CHANNEL

I'm Loominarty confirmed.

Theoretical colour mod question:
Could the colour mod be something like red and red or blue and blue?

Also, would it still be legal if the colour mod were removed with effects if the animator provided proof that he/she originally animated the shot with the colour mod?
(This sort of thing could be useful if someone wanted to have a shot with a character who doesn't have the colour mod at an angle that doesn't show the colour mod, but they don't want to just leave these two random blue and red studs or random letter lying on the ground looking particularly weird and distracting, so they go ahead and animate it with the awkward colour mod there, then remove the awkward object with effects so that it doesn't distract from the shot)

Squid wrote:

Wouldn't it only be called just that color then? (Colour Mod: Red) mini/XD

GHB wrote:
Squid wrote:

Wouldn't it only be called just that color then? (Colour Mod: Red) mini/XD

Not at all.
Just having something like a man wearing a red hat would be unacceptable, but if he had a red shirt and red pants then it would be red connected to red.

I think technically that would work Squid, but in practice I think it would defeat the purpose of the two-colour mod - a red brick connected to a red brick or a blue brick connected to a blue brick are far more likely to exist in a pre-built set or prop than say, red and blue together.

On a side note I'm really hoping we get a hundred or so entries again this year!

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Squid, as long as you can prove the letter/color mod was in the original shot, it's fine.
One year, a guy had the letter mod in the top part of the screen for all of his shots and cropped it out in the released version. He just had to send a copy of the uncropped film to the judges as well.

I'm really sad that I'll be away when this happens.  Oh well, good luck to everyone who's entering! I look forward to what everyone comes up with.