Topic: Steven Universe Appreciation Thread

you guys need to watch this sick show ok

it's created by rebecca sugar (storyboardist/musician on adventure time, made this amazing animated short)

it's very important that you guys watch this show as it's the first cartoon by cartoon network to be created by a woman. it's a very creative and entertaining cartoon that i suggest everyone watch, and the more interest in this cartoon the more cartoon network will be willing to get original and creative shows by women on the air.

it's a very VERY entertaining and well done cartoon, as you would expect from the people behind it, who are some of the most creative and hilarious people currently working in animation. the visual direction is fantastic, and it's animated traditionally on paper. i suggest either watching it on TV or buying a season pass on amazon, that way you can support the show.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/5f7ded0950a5b40c28ea3cb4958ad569/tumblr_mhh47hMFbk1qhjcclo1_1280.jpg

believe in steven

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Re: Steven Universe Appreciation Thread

I've been watching it from the beginning.  Since you seemed to be looking forward to it I gave it a shot, and then kept watching.

For the most part I like it, but there is something about the character design that seems a little bit off.  They seem close to right, but feel somewhat off.  Like Pearl's outfit is just crazy strange, but I like her hair and conical nose, though.

The animation is crazy cool.  It kinda reminds my of Ponyo.  Garnet's voices is perfect, however, Steven's feels just slightly off.

I'm also rather annoyed that it didn't start us out with an introductory episode explaining the basics for what exactly a crystal gem is, and why they seem to constantly be at threat from dark forces.  I would really like to have an episode that goes into the crystal gem lore and history sometime at least.

the pilot was really good and kind of explained what was going on, you can watch it here. i like the designs/animation in the pilot better, but whatever.

I love this show, I think it is very creative and funny, I knew that Rebecca Sugar made this, but I did not know that it was the first Cartoon Network show created by a woman, that's really cool.

Watched the pilot. I don't like Adventure Time (sue me), but this looks promising.

It's got great gags and brilliant comedic timing--almost like I was watching one of those "pre-Cartoon Network's downfall" Cartoon Network cartoons.

No, I'm serious. This will sure give females some good publicity. I believe that girls can be good filmmakers/animators--I mean, have you seen some of EmmaExecute's stuff?

And you're right, JK. Maybe this could be the first of a whole line of new creative, fun shows for the Cartoon Network.

Last edited by Mickey (November 20, 2013 (04:51pm))

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Mickey wrote:

It's got great gags and brilliant comedic timing--almost like I was watching one of those "pre-Cartoon Network's downfall" Cartoon Network cartoons.

most of the shows on cartoon network are really good right now. i'm not sure if you've actually stuck around for the newer seasons of adventure time, but it's one of the most creative and brilliant cartoons i've ever seen (there's a lot).

Mickey wrote:

No, I'm serious. This will sure give females some good publicity. I believe that girls can be good filmmakers/animators--I mean, have you seen some of EmmaExecute's stuff?

most of my extremely talented animation friends are females. all of them more talented animators than anybody on this site (and most of the internet) tbh

Mickey wrote:

And you're right, JK. Maybe this could be the first of a whole line of new creative, fun shows for the Cartoon Network.

cartoon network already has a ton of creative and fun shows so. if they get even more that's really awesome

I watched the pilot episode, and I have to say it's not that bad. The animation was really well done and the humor was really well-timed. I'm not thrilled by it, but I'll probably watch a few more episodes.