Topic: Dark Eidolon

(DISCLAIMER: I apologise if this is in the wrong place. I've never really spent much time on the forums here, so I don't know what's what. Also, sorry about the image-size. If somebody could tell me how to resize them, that would be a real help!)

This topic is the place where I intend to keep you up to date on the progress of my latest, and thus far most ambitious, project, a film called Dark Eidolon. Before I delve too deeply into the contents of the film itself, let me explain: as an AS-Level Film student, I wanted a project in which to show off what I've learned in the lessons, something comparable to my films before this experience. As I've only ever really done brickfilms, I decided a brickfilm was the best way to go, and created the concept of Dark Eidolon. Also, apologies for the camera, but I haven't got the money to buy a new one right now, and I've always felt that 720p for a video is fine, so long as the actual contents of the video are engaging the audience.

Preview Frame 1

Anyway, I'm blabbing here. On to the story:

Two returning characters from my previous major work, Devil's Edge, find their way to a military base set up in the middle of a forest. They are unaware that the base is the next target for a contrary group of soldiers, and that they will end up facing a battle. However, that is the least of their problems. They are being observed by two mysterious watchers, who know their every move and seem to have a long-running plan of action.
Dark Eidolon takes these starting points and develops them to form the narrative. The script is a little over forty pages (A4, 12pt Courier New, in case you're interested) and I'm not certain but I reckon that works out at around forty to forty-five minutes when complete. I'm not nearly done filming right now, but I've done six scenes in just over a week, so I reckon I'm making some degree of progress.

THE CHARACTERS
(I'm not doing an open casting call, for the simple reason that my friend - who is responsible for the film's sound - wants the entire cast to record lines in one session, and it would be too much of a logistical hassle to arrange that unless I stuck with people I know personally)

SPITZER
Spitzer
Jocular and keen, but has a tendency to blame himself for things

SAM
Sam
Brave and strong, but not willing to enter a fight without reason

BALNISCO
Balnisco
Has plenty of knowledge of events, and assumes others are the same. He doesn't let personal feelings get in the way of duty

ARCENTIA
Arcentia
Enjoys her job, but doesn't like the idea of exploiting other people

CAPTAIN FETTERMAN
(image coming soon)
A real leader of men, he prefers to fight alongside his soldiers rather than guide them

MHYKOL
Mhykol
Happy to follow orders, but not above taking command himself when the need arises

GENERAL ROTHWELL
General Rothwell
Desperate to destroy Spitzer at all costs

ELSEN
Elsen
A periphery soldier

TECH OPERATOR McVEIGH
(image coming soon)
A technician

DRIVER
Driver
Rothwell's personal driver

FILMING PROGRESS
As of 19th November 2013, I've filmed eleven scenes, with fifty to go.

GENERAL NOTES
I'm hoping to enter post-production by February, with the aim to release the film in ten-minute parts starting in mid-November next year. The script and pre-production began in September, so you're looking at fourteen months from start to finish if all goes to plan. Is that average-length time for a forty-minute brickfilm?

Edit (8/11/13): added pictures for General Rothwell and Driver

Last edited by Halfbrick (November 19, 2013 (09:15am))

Coming soon: "Dark Eidolon"
One-third of ShiftyPotatoes

Re: Dark Eidolon

Liking how this idea looks mini/bigsmile Sounds like it'll piece together well mini/bigsmile I wish our AS coursework was as interesting as this! The A2 is just as bad this year -_- Looking forward to seeing how this turns out mini/bigsmile On a random note, one of you're characters really stands out to me...The character "Driver" is the same age as me, as well as sharing the same nickname mini/XD Haha! Anyways, looking forward to seeing updates from this mini/smile

Sounds and looks pretty neat! The story feels simple, but very effective. I'm sure it'll do the trick! Out of curiosity, are you going for a serious tone with some nice character development etc. or a half-comedy-half-action kind of film?

SurfSmurf778 wrote:

Sounds and looks pretty neat! The story feels simple, but very effective. I'm sure it'll do the trick! Out of curiosity, are you going for a serious tone with some nice character development etc. or a half-comedy-half-action kind of film?

At the moment I'm going for serious (but that might change if the filming goes terribly wrong!)

Halfbrick wrote:

At the moment I'm going for serious

The right selection of soundtrack can play a huge part in deciding the tone of the movie, even if the video looks almost comedic on it's own it can easily be turned sinister with the right sounds!

DriverFilmz wrote:

The right selection of soundtrack can play a huge part in deciding the tone of the movie, even if the video looks almost comedic on it's own it can easily be turned sinister with the right sounds!

I know, but the problem is I'm not doing the sound (apart from the voices, so I can do mouth animations if I decide I want to go down that route). When my friend watches through the version of the film he gets to do the soundtrack, if he takes it as a comedy, he'll make it a comedy.

If everything goes right, though, I won't have to worry about that. Having the cast together for the recording will be helpful as well. I can tell them how to pronounce the characters' names, for a start, and whether they're doing the right voice.

Well it sounds like it should all turn out well mini/smile Hope you get a good grade for the coursework! Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out mini/smile

Thanks. I'm hoping it comes out well myself!

Hmm, I find the idea of recording all the cast together interesting, so let me know how that turns out.
Not to be nit-picky, but the sets look fairly basic, the frames are grainy, and the whites are over-exposed some. I suggest getting more lamps, or moving yours closer, and then lowering the exposure. That will help even out the lighting and make the image quality shoot up.

The idea could be good, but the video quality (animation, lighting and sets) will really affect the final outcome so I highly suggest getting those concepts nailed down well before embarking on such an ambitious project. That being said, a larger project is one of the best ways to learn, so it's up to you. I wish you the best of luck.

The sets are basic and the camera grainy out of necessity. I don't have the money to buy a better camera or the additional parts needed for more complicated sets. As for the exposure, I'm planning on using some sort of chroma key filter to add a background, and I don't have a green-screen. But I see what you mean, and hopefully I'll be able to afford some better equipment in the new year.

I don't know what the policy is here regarding double-posts, so apologies if I'm breaching it, but I've done a great deal more filming, I've tackled just about the longest scene in the film and I've updated the first post with images of a few more characters.

You're fine. It's been over a week and you've got something worth adding. mini/wink
I would have put the pictures in the new post, since it's nice to see the progress move on as I scroll through update threads, but that's just a personal preference.

I'm still not keen on the grainy-ness, but I did notice something that you can easily fix. When filming stop-motion, the goal is to make it somewhat life-like, right? If you watch a lot of live-action films, you'll find that most of the time the camera is down at face level looking straight on, not looking down from above. Elevating the camera that little bit takes the viewers out of the action, removes them from the world just a bit, and looses a lot of the 'dynamic'/'dramatic' factor that a face-level angle has.

Sometimes this necessitates elevating your set and leaving the camera on the table, but the results are worth it.
I suggest you do some filming down on the minifigure's level and see the difference. Now, there are some times when you should have the camera like that. (That first frame, for example) But you don't want it normally.
For another example, compare BALNISCO's picture to many of the others. See the much better framing and angle? That's what I'm talking about.

And have you tried the chroma-key yet? With the background being white, and all the other white, or very reflective surfaces, I'm not sure how well that will turn out. If you want to do some chroma effects, go to the nearest dollar store and grab some colored posterboard. You will thank yourself for it.

Thanks for the feedback. I have had a go at the chroma, and it's looking alright. In fact, the only real problem was that I messed up the angle on the background frame, so I've reshot that and it should be a bit better. And yes, I agree with your comments about the camera height, but I think the key problem here is the sample frames I've done. Most of the shots I've filmed so far are on minifig level, but they tend to be two-shots or long shots, and I wanted the best frames of each character to show them off.

Hopefully when I've finished with the awkward-angle forest scenes, I'll be able to get even more eye-level shots too. In any case, experience is the best way to learn! mini/lol

I've taken a break from filming, but I decided to return for the new year! Anyway, here are some update photos:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BmNddyXbc7g/UsmTdICeonI/AAAAAAAAAH4/F5xKR-YUJEo/w795-h596-no/Picture+3445.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ucXU98_3rWY/UsmTiCF8O6I/AAAAAAAAAIA/hmyIyz46D_o/w795-h596-no/Picture+3664.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Ryiw70l5p9Q/UsmTzwGK29I/AAAAAAAAAIQ/26t9jlV3V8M/w795-h596-no/Picture+3386.jpg

Again, sorry about the grain. I haven't got the money to buy a new camera right now, and even if I did get one I wouldn't use it on this production, not after the amount of filming I've done. It would look worse if the camera quality jumped about from scene to scene than if it was all in a slightly lower quality.

Hey there! It's been a while, but I've got a Production Update. The lines for the film were recorded in small groups between February and March, and I have to say this worked far better than I expected. There are probably three main benefits as far as I can see over my usual method of emailing the cast their lines and getting them to record them in their own time. The first of these is that I can make sure they pronounce every word right (and believe me, I've written some very strange words in the script from time to time), by flagging them up when they get something wrong. The second is that as everybody's lines are recorded on the same high-quality microphone and mastered by a genius sound guy friend of mine, so they are consistent in quality and without any annoying hiss. The third is that the actors can interact realistically with one another. It definitely helps them get in character! Of course, having a good cast definitely helps!

On the production front, I've been a bit quiet - I kind of lost motivation in February and March and barely got any done - and now I've got exams coming so not much more to be done any time soon, but I'm ploughing on and by my reckoning I've got about two scenes to go. A frame from further filming can be seen below:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-WVtqbOrUUFc/Ut1k-2BPs3I/AAAAAAAAAaE/hz4AQUm_WzQ/w796-h597-no/Picture+5060.jpg

I'll try to keep you posted on further developments in the film! It's gonna be a long one, but I reckon it'll be worth it when I'm done. If nothing else, I've learned stuff from this.