Topic: Lost In Ice

I've decided to take my latest film idea into full production. I was torn about where to place this thread. The film is in pre-production as of right now, but It will hopefully move into production soon. I don't want to say very much about the film right now, but I want your input on certain things about the story. Lost In Ice is a Drama/Science Fiction film about an arctic hunter finding himself lost in a never ending ice desert. I have a complete summary and a more in depth summary written, but I haven't written the script yet. I'm excited to begin this film [mostly because I have yet to finish an actual Brickfilm].

Also, right now I plan to release it sometime in September of 2014.

Last edited by Legocloniac477 (November 7, 2013 (11:07am))

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

Re: Lost In Ice

This sounds like a very interesting concept! Looking forward to hearing and finding out more as you move along the production process mini/bigsmile Are you aiming for quite a serious tone with the video?

Woah dude, this sounds epic. When you say sci-fi, are there going to be monsters and aliens and stuff? Also, how do you plan on doing a desert of ice? I'm intrigued.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

jampot wrote:

Woah dude, this sounds epic. When you say sci-fi, are there going to be monsters and aliens and stuff? Also, how do you plan on doing a desert of ice? I'm intrigued.

DUUUUUUUUUDEEEEEEE

IDK, found on Google wrote:

a dry, barren area of land, esp. one covered with sand, that is characteristically desolate, waterless, and without vegetation.

AKA: A desert doesn't HAVE to be hot and stuff. A desert is just a place with nothing. Antarctica is the world's biggest (and coldest) desert.

DriverFilmz wrote:

Are you aiming for quite a serious tone with the video?

Yes.

jampot wrote:

When you say sci-fi, are there going to be monsters and aliens and stuff? Also, how do you plan on doing a desert of ice? I'm intrigued.

Well, there are no elements of Science Fiction in the story right now, but the backstory I'm kind of coming up with as I go is somewhat Science Fiction. And I don't know about the ice desert thing yet. I'm going to be using artistic license for sure.

Troodon wrote:

AKA: A desert doesn't HAVE to be hot and stuff. A desert is just a place with nothing. Antarctica is the world's biggest (and coldest) desert.

That's what I'm going for.

And I'm glad your interested guys!

Last edited by Legocloniac477 (November 5, 2013 (05:57pm))

-PushOverProductions

In your guy's opinions, what kind of moments make a film dramatic? Specifically in an extreme weather type situation? How can I make some of the scenes captivating? What would you enjoy seeing?

And I've started writing the screenplay.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5526/10750142115_817c07fa42_o.png

Last edited by Legocloniac477 (November 8, 2013 (05:24pm))

-PushOverProductions

In your guy's opinions, what kind of moments make a film dramatic? Specifically in an extreme weather type situation?

I'm assuming you want only ice/snow stuff right? Anyway, here's some.

It's a bit cliche, but he could be crossing some ice, (slipping around a bit of course, and breathing heavily in the middle of all the falling snow.) it starts to crack, (sounds only first) then the ice breaks away right in front of his feet. He steps back, pauses for a second, then turns to go around it. It's not that dramatic, but I dunno, I guess it could be if filmed right. It's more just a small slow scene that you could add.

Another scene could be his walking across a flat-ish plain when suddenly the ground beneath him falls away and he rolls down a small tunnel. He then comes out only to continue rolling down a steep-ish hill. He finally stops, gets up, and continues on.

He could be in an unusually think snowfall with it and the strong wind swirling around him. He struggles on, stops, turns around, and looks at the ground where some small piece of him gear is lying from the last time he passed by. Then, by having the camera spin quickly around him, him looking back and forth, and other cinematic tricks, give the illusion that he is very disoriented and confused. He then begins to walk forward, but stumbles, switches directions, and the goes on. He walks on for a bit, but misses the other piece of gear lying on the ground signifying that he has been that way before as well.

He could be walking in the snow, and then hear faint whispers from his family/friends/whatever, he looks up, sees a very faint and distant, but humanoid form, runs forward, and finds nothing. He then continues to hallucinate different scenes, and each time his efforts are in vain to find what ever he sees/hears.

That's pretty good, Pritch. I think he could yell really loudly once or twice, only to be angered by the fact that no one can hear him.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Really good ideas guys, thanks!

-PushOverProductions

As Pritchard also said, I'd love to see a scene, or two, where he imagines seeing things like people he knows etc. Another thing that could look pretty cool would be if he hears a low, rumbling sound coming closer and closer. After a while, a huge dark shape walks past him, too far away to actually make out what it is, yet still close enough so you can see the shape of it. Might be a little bit too much though, dunno.

An idea is to make the film very quiet--I find everything seems much quieter when it snows.  So add little to no ambient noise, and emphasize the silence by making every noise the protagonist makes seem loud, like footsteps, heavy breathing, grunting, etc.  Also, I think keeping the protagonist unnamed and having him say very little to nothing would greatly enhance the film too.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

FlyingMinifig wrote:

An idea is to make the film very quiet--I find everything seems much quieter when it snows.  So add little to no ambient noise, and emphasize the silence by making every noise the protagonist makes seem loud, like footsteps, heavy breathing, grunting, etc.  Also, I think keeping the protagonist unnamed and having him say very little to nothing would greatly enhance the film too.

Everything you just said is how I plan to make it. And there will (hopefully) be no dialogue.

-PushOverProductions

I made a logo too, I would like to know what you guys think.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5530/10765824743_d96fdaf2e8_b.jpg

-PushOverProductions

Okay, I have some progress to report. I finished the first draft of the script, and now I'm sending it around to some friends to get it checked. I'm afraid that I ended it a bit suddenly. So we'll see what people say about it, hopefully it's pretty close to what the final thing will be.

Also if you want to get and read the script you can email me.
[email protected]

-PushOverProductions

I like the font used in the logo, looks kinda icy, in an almost eery way! The kerning and weighting fits the subject matter which is a good thing mini/smile is the font custom or did you find it? Either way I think it works well mini/bigsmile

I love that logo; it's amazing!

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

/

Last edited by Legocloniac477 (April 30, 2021 (02:49pm))

-PushOverProductions

I really like the poster mini/smile

New logo=Even better. I like it.
I was looking forward to the simple one-man-wandering format, but if you truly think it'll make the script better to add extra outside conflict, then go ahead.

I have also decided to cut out the Sci-Fi element altogether, because adding an alien animal or two isn't really plot forwarding.

Good idea. Getting the plot down to the essentials, and then going from there is a good idea. If it makes sense, then add stuff. This kind of short works best when it isn't packed with things included just for the spectacle of having X show up, or X do this. So that was a smart choice.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

New logo=Even better. I like it.

END films wrote:

I really like the poster

Thanks guys!

I was looking forward to the simple one-man-wandering format, but if you truly think it'll make the script better to add extra outside conflict, then go ahead.

It's still just the one man wandering around (his name is Skiff), but he is making mysterious discoveries, and is being followed by animals.

Also in case anyone wondered what I mean by ice desert, this is what I want the film's main setting to look like:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQC4-jaHJpYJ_E0PcpBToYA53DlAeKfc11s_9xfozm2gM-j43Yd

Last edited by Legocloniac477 (November 28, 2013 (08:59pm))

-PushOverProductions