Topic: The First Monday of Summer

Directory Link

The First Monday of Summer

YouTube

A teenage boy wakes up one Monday morning thinking he is late for school, unaware that it is the first day of Summer vacation. Foolishly, he gets out of bed, hops on his bike, and starts the long trek to his abandoned high school, only to realize he had forgotten one thing...

Credits:

Voices, edited, written, and directed by John Chigas

Sound FX from the Free Sound Project (freesounds.org)

Music by Kevin MacLeod and David Orr

Songs:

"Faster Does It" - Kevin MacLeod

"Mechanolith" - Kevin MacLeod

"Ambler" - Kevin MacLeod

"Epic Battle Sequence 1" - David Orr

Check out my YouTube and my Twitter mini/smile

Re: The First Monday of Summer

Hmm... This was pretty good. Animation was well done with something "non-so-usual-animation", like different moves than walking, running and normal stuff. Great job with it. Sets were cool too. It has a little bit light flicking and much camera bumping, so I hope you try to fix them. Because this was great and with more professional stuff they will be much better! Okay not so much but at least better! mini/smile

:S Productions wrote:

Hmm... This was pretty good. Animation was well done with something "non-so-usual-animation", like different moves than walking, running and normal stuff. Great job with it. Sets were cool too. It has a little bit light flicking and much camera bumping, so I hope you try to fix them. Because this was great and with more professional stuff they will be much better! Okay not so much but at least better! mini/smile

Thank you for your response! Unfortunately, yes, most of my equipment is very "amateur" and because of this, light flicker and camera shaking is an unavoidable problem.

The animation was good. There were some good parts, but light flicker was a small problem there. And if school really was out for the summer, why does the bell ring at 1:40, in the background?

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Mickey wrote:

The animation was good. There were some good parts, but light flicker was a small problem there. And if school really was out for the summer, why does the bell ring at 1:40, in the background?

Yes, I am well aware of light flicker and that is a problem that is really difficult to avoid considering the status my equipment. I don't know what you think the sound that occurs at 1:40 means, but it is just a sound effect to coincide with his apparent realization that he is still (but not really) late for school. I think you might have thought the sound was the dismissal bell from the school or something but that's not what it was. Thank you for the feedback.

That's OK. I get a lot of light flicker in my films too. It's not too easy to get rid of.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

the light flicker should be only a question of practice and equipment, and you are clearly aware of it. I don't think it takes that much from your 'story'. I liked it - you take fairly obvious 'plot' (being too late for school/work etc.), but the animation was done in interesting way. It was good idea to show your set ups at the end as well - I think these are always interesting to see (how he has done/set-up this one?)
I also liked the dude helped the older guy mini/wink. I thought making use of that nickel will be part of the story as well.
What's on your equipment wish-list?

ThaukaFilms wrote:

the light flicker should be only a question of practice and equipment, and you are clearly aware of it. I don't think it takes that much from your 'story'. I liked it - you take fairly obvious 'plot' (being too late for school/work etc.), but the animation was done in interesting way. It was good idea to show your set ups at the end as well - I think these are always interesting to see (how he has done/set-up this one?)
I also liked the dude helped the older guy mini/wink. I thought making use of that nickel will be part of the story as well.
What's on your equipment wish-list?

Thanks for the input. As far as equipment goes:

A DSLR (Canon t3i or 60D) (I currently use a Nikkon L120)
Remote shutter (To remove shakiness and light flicker)
Laptop (MacBook Pro?)
More LEGO...obviously...

As for software:
DragonFrame
Adobe CC (I used a trial to edit this one mini/tongue)

Most of this stuff is out of my current price range (~$2500) but ya gotta start small right?