Topic: LEGO FABULAND - The Riddle of Empty Compartment

Directory Link

LEGO FABULAND - The Riddle of Empty Compartment

youtube

Who robbed Hannah the Hippopotamus in the train corridor and how did Ed the Elephant catch out the criminal?

Re: LEGO FABULAND - The Riddle of Empty Compartment

Quite an interesting little film. While it is weird for a brickfilm to be in a format like this, it is original. Now, the animation was pretty good, and the sets- for what little there was- was great as well. My only problem was that the lighting in several shots wasn't the best, as there were several spots of pure darkness, which was distracting.

Looking forward to the solution!

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Great job! its nice to see the fabuland line in an animation. mini/bigsmile Aside from set bumps and light flicker, this doesn't need much improvement. The set was just great, the editing was fine, and the animation is smooth....TOO smooth.  It seemed like you took a lot of frames, but didn't play them back at a fast enough rate.

Finally, can I suggest that you don't pressure people into reviewing your film, its really kind of annoying. mini/wink

Oh, and by the way, I figured out the detail:

Spoiler (click to read)

The book was sitting on the baggage hold when the man arrived, he didn't bring it from home.

Last edited by PushOverProductions (September 11, 2013 (04:40pm))

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

A suggestion if you really want people to review your film, instead of copying and pasting the request to review your film in the post, put it in your signature. That way people won't get mad at you for adding that.

I liked it! The music was just perfectly matching the atmosphere, and the animation and set design were spot on. The whole idea of the film is very unique, which is great.

A ty jsi Čech? Je super tady taky vidět ostatní Čechy čas od času. Skvělej filmeček! mini/bigsmile

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

Willco66 wrote:

A suggestion if you really want people to review your film, instead of copying and pasting the request to review your film in the post, put it in your signature. That way people won't get mad at you for adding that.

This is an excellent suggestion. Please put the link in your signature if you want feedback instead of mentioning it in every review.

Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Sméagol wrote:
Willco66 wrote:

This is an excellent suggestion. Please put the link in your signature if you want feedback instead of mentioning it in every review.

Thanks!

thank you guys for actually not screaming at me for doing this - I assume - forum newbie's mistake, and letting me know in a nice, polite way. I deleted all those requests. When I registered way back I was looking for some FAQ at this website/forum, but I just found the first sticky thread - maybe it would be worth mentioning some guidelines for newbies how to 'behave' in this forum. I assume everyone here appreciates feedback that would help them make better stuff - and I see I clearly crossed the line a bit how to ask about it with this. I apologize. Maybe it would be worth to include your suggestion (do not ask people to review your stuff in your posts, include the movie in your signature, instead) in the sticky thread to provide some guideline for newbies. I assume not everyone reads the sticky thread first, but people should get a chance at least.
I do not frequent Internet forums that much, but at other places it is actually possible to turn the sigs off - I was not aware you can't do it here.

Sonjira wrote:

Quite an interesting little film. While it is weird for a brickfilm to be in a format like this, it is original. Now, the animation was pretty good, and the sets- for what little there was- was great as well. My only problem was that the lighting in several shots wasn't the best, as there were several spots of pure darkness, which was distracting.

Looking forward to the solution!

yes, I am still struggling with lighting. I just have these small IKEA JANSO lamps, I have to put them really close to the set to get enough light - at the same time this limits the space for my hands to move things in the scene. Would you say the general ideal in lego brickfilming is to have as little shadows/evenly lit scene as much as possible?

Last edited by ThaukaFilms (September 11, 2013 (10:56pm))

Tobias wrote:

I liked it! The music was just perfectly matching the atmosphere, and the animation and set design were spot on. The whole idea of the film is very unique, which is great.

A ty jsi Čech? Je super tady taky vidět ostatní Čechy čas od času. Skvělej filmeček! mini/bigsmile

Ahoj - dik. Ty Otazniky detektiva Stiky jsou skvely material/inspirace pro animace, vrele doporucuji. V tech komiksech uz je vsechno rozkouskovane do jednotlivych scen, zapletka tam je take, jedine co to v podstate potrebuje je to trochu rozpohybovat. Ten komiks byl docela uspesny - Kalousek ho delal snad nekolik dekad - tak to asi nebude uplne blbe. Ceske pohadky jsou taky dobre (moji prvni animace je Hadanka od Erbena, na youtube to mam ale jenom v anglictine a estonstine - predpokladal jsem, ze Cesi pohadku znaji, anebo mohou text snaze vyhledat nez Estonci a anglicky mluvici lide).
Podivam se na Tvoje vytvory a napisi. Mej se.

PushOverProductions wrote:

Great job! its nice to see the fabuland line in an animation. mini/bigsmile Aside from set bumps and light flicker, this doesn't need much improvement. The set was just great, the editing was fine, and the animation is smooth....TOO smooth.  It seemed like you took a lot of frames, but didn't play them back at a fast enough rate.

Finally, can I suggest that you don't pressure people into reviewing your film, its really kind of annoying. mini/wink

Oh, and by the way, I figured out the detail:

Spoiler (click to read)

The book was sitting on the baggage hold when the man arrived, he didn't bring it from home.

Yes, I take a lot of frames, but the output (lower) speed is intentional. I am striving for this slow-down effect. People should explore the whole set, and I thought slowing things down would create an impression of giving them more time/space to do that - that their attention is not fully occupied by the movement of the figures. or is the movement actually already too slow that you find it boring,would prefer to speed it up?

Was the solution too easy? Did you have to think a bit about it/replay it more than once? The story is not original, it comes from a comic strip in a magazine that for school children. I mean it should not be too difficult, at the same time it would be great if people actually would have to put a bit of thinking into it - to replay it at least once more.

ThaukaFilms wrote:
Tobias wrote:

Ahoj - dik. Ty Otazniky detektiva Stiky jsou skvely material/inspirace pro animace, vrele doporucuji. V tech komiksech uz je vsechno rozkouskovane do jednotlivych scen, zapletka tam je take, jedine co to v podstate potrebuje je to trochu rozpohybovat. Ten komiks byl docela uspesny - Kalousek ho delal snad nekolik dekad - tak to asi nebude uplne blbe. Ceske pohadky jsou taky dobre (moji prvni animace je Hadanka od Erbena, na youtube to mam ale jenom v anglictine a estonstine - predpokladal jsem, ze Cesi pohadku znaji, anebo mohou text snaze vyhledat nez Estonci a anglicky mluvici lide).
Podivam se na Tvoje vytvory a napisi. Mej se.

ThaukaFilms wrote:

Was the solution too easy?

It was pretty easy. I only had to replay it once to find it.

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

I saw it immediately the second time I watched it; still a good idea for the film, I think it could be really interesting if it was made more difficult, or if the viewer had to make multiple observations to figure out the mystery. Anyway, pretty good job. mini/smile

ThaukaFilms wrote:

thank you guys for actually not screaming at me for doing this - I assume - forum newbie's mistake, and letting me know in a nice, polite way. I deleted all those requests...

No worries. We've had people do this sort of thing before but usually they're not writing insightful reviews -- you were clearly putting effort into your reviews and not just using it as an excuse to self-promote!

Not where to post advice against such a thing. The only introductory guide we have is this [guide], but it is admittedly outdated and I don't think people see it. If we could write up good forum-specific guidelines for the releases forum about reviewing and posting films, I could definitely see that being worthwhile.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I liked what I saw.  I'm glad that I could follow everything without hearing it, as I can not watch videos with sound.  I figured out the solution, too.  Cool to see Fabuland figures in the story.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

It began like a dream... The music, the light, the set. It was all pointing towards a surrealistic film. Although I was disappointed a little bit as I saw a realistic detective puzzle, contrary to what I felt at the beginning, I enjoyed what I saw.
As mentioned in the above posts, animation was reaallly smoooth... And feeling of slowness was and calm was great. As I said earlier that I was disappointed with the realistic ending, I still liked the idea of including the viewer into the puzzle, and the way you present it.

Overall, great atmosphere, personal disappointment, but still a very good ending.