Topic: Odoriferous

Directory Link

Odoriferous

YouTube

An adventure fairytale made for BRAWL about smell, unicorns, and perspective.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQxLI6mCQAAcNlL.jpg

I based this film on the idea that it would be cool to have a film called Odoriferous whilst trying to implement the BRAWL theme in multiple ways.

This film also features some of my best lighting setups to date.

Last edited by Squid (August 3, 2013 (06:09pm))

Re: Odoriferous

Beautiful as always, Squid. I fell in love with the reverse shot at 1:40.

And it's true; the lighting is the best.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

I loved the panning shots! You've got some of the best on-set lighting of any brickfilmer, and your animation is always perfect. Your films just have a really unique feel and theme (the custom music always helps).

So let me think...ummm....yep, you are my favorite brickfilmer.

Last edited by PushOverProductions (August 3, 2013 (06:24pm))

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

The animation, sets and camera work are all beautiful, another classic from you.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

I love it! Your animation is great, per usual, and the lighting and sound design is top-notch! Another classic!

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Wow! We use the same camera and mic! What a great film. Loved the lighting narration and editing!

http://bit.ly/aO91Hlhttp://bit.ly/cfXfsF  Check me out!  Please take a minute to watch my film! Lego Batman Joker Returns

Hmmm, well, it's just another ANP classic.
Amazing animation, interesting take on the theme, great sets, cool voice acting, funny dialog, and a lot of MLP references.

The in-set lighting looked great, as did just about everything else.

You had several very nice sets, and this didn't really feel rushed or like the production was done in a hurry.
No squid, and haven't found the ninja (Or the promised lens flare) yet, but it's very nice.
Perhaps not your best work yet, (Bank is nearly impossible to beat.) but still a very solid short.

I know BRAWL is hard on voice actors, but I would have at least tried to find some others.
Your voice is fine, but you seem to default to that a lot, and therefore it's really easy to recognize.
Sonjira is becoming your go-to narrator, and that's great. But it would be nice to hear somebody else every once in a while.

Very impressive Squid! Although where was Rigby to sit along side Mordecai? D;

You've really come a long way since Pirates RULE, which was also genius.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Thanks everyone!

Pritchard Studios wrote:

No squid, and haven't found the ninja (Or the promised lens flare)

They are there.  Munchy is in the ANP card at the very end.  That is where I put him if I cannot fit him into another part of the film.  The Ninja is here, and I've very happy with his position.  He's also relatively in focus.  The lens flare happens one frame before the flash of bright light.
I make it a point to include the ninja, munchy, a dustbin parrot, the archway, and the word gabatay in every film.

Perhaps not your best work yet, (Bank is nearly impossible to beat.) but still a very solid short.

It's getting annoying how hard it is to top that film.  Of course, I don't expect to do so in a contest like BRAWL.
However, I'm pretty sure that everyone will agree that I Am The Night and my secret production are much better once they finally come out.

I know BRAWL is hard on voice actors, but I would have at least tried to find some others.

Oh, I did.  I tried to get Smeagol, but he's really busy with Paradise.  I also tried to contact Guss Griswold to play Modecai and possibly narrate, but he didn't respond, and I also had an actress in mind for Elska, however, she also did not respond.  I guess they were all too busy.

Sonjira is becoming your go-to narrator, and that's great. But it would be nice to hear somebody else every once in a while.

I agree.  I've been really wanting to have a little bit a variety for my narrations, not replace Sonjira, really, just have a few films in between with some other people to make it more interesting.
The thing about Sonjira is that's he's quite good and really reliable.
He's also the narrator in Leprechauns in France, which is my first script, and is the story that started up my storybook style, however, that's still on hold until I can get an Irish actor.

where was Rigby to sit along side Mordecai?

Ah, yes, Mordecai is also the name of that bird from the Regular Show, isn't it?
I didn't use it in reference to that, only just because Mordecai is the coolest first name in existence.
If I ever have a son, I will name him Mordecai.

Last edited by Squid (August 4, 2013 (06:59am))

well................

Very good and very little light flicker. It wasn't as funny as some of yours. But really really good. mini/yes

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

That's not your best story... But it's your best lighting!

I really liked the sets and minifigures.

-Concept: 7.5/10
   -Story: 6/10
   -Cinematography: 8/10
   -Sound: 8/10
   -Voice acting: 8/10
   -Music: 6.5/10
   -Animation: 8/10
   -Sets: 9.5/10

→OVERALL: 7/10

Loïc F-B wrote:

That's not your best story... But it's your best lighting!

I really liked the sets and minifigures.

Thanks. mini/smile

I'm actually amazed with how much I was able to build in such a short time and still be able to animate a decent length film.

I did pre-build the rock face for the exterior scene, though

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5505/9379635706_0bd06ab9de_z.jpg

But I still did build the throne room, the odoriferous lair, the cave entrance, and the tavern all entirely within BRAWL.

It probably could've gone with a better story, though.  If this were a longer film I might've added a back story to Rainbow Sparkle showing how he got his messed up outlook of justice.

Overall this was an enjoyable short! The lighting was gorgeous and the animation was wonderful. Your best lighting yet, as many have already said. I liked the concept for the story, it just wasn't executed super well. The plot just seemed rather shallow and the ending wasn't very satisfying. All this being said though, I still really enjoyed it. It has your distinct style which I always love. The voice acting was funny and totally worked for what you were doing. Miles really liked the contrast of the two different guard voices.

I still can't find the Ninja... it's really bugging me.

Another wonderful short film from you! I honestly don't know what I can say about this one besides the fact that I loved it.

Oh wait, now I do! I can't find the ninja either. I guess I'll just have to keep looking.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

Repelling Spider wrote:

the ending wasn't very satisfying.

I'd agree, actually.

The last thing I animated was the end of the scene in the odoriferous Lair.  At that point, I was already behind on animation, and I just needed to finish up as quickly as possible, so I just had her cut off the horn and be done with it.  So I didn't really have many better options at that point.

Very nice film!  Impressive as always.  It fit the theme quite well, with different outlooks.  Also, "odoriferous" is an awesome word (I must add it to my list of interesting words right away).  I liked the idea of the antagonist having a different perspective and being not entirely heroic or villainous.  The name "Rainbow Sparkle" is a bit too over-the-top though, in my opinion.  Also, the film's ending seemed a bit rushed (though this being a BRAWL film, it's entirely understandable and the length as it is is impressive).  I should also mention the lighting was beautiful, especially the lava pit and stained-glass windows.

Oh yes, and the Ninja can be seen at 3:10!

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive