Topic: Sherlock Holmes Update Thread

I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes nerd, I've read all the stories, and almost two years ago I began pre-production on an original Sherlock Holmes brickfilm; I figured it would be the best media for me to tell my own Sherlock Holmes story. Just recently I've finally begun production. The film will be 10-15 minutes long, and will take me quite a long time to make. I'll post updates here as I make progress on the film. Because multiple sets appear in more than one scene, I'll report animation progress by sets, rather than scenes. There are four main sets on which most of the film takes place, and roughly eight or more minor sets that will appear from a few seconds to about 30 seconds each. The film will most likely take a long time to animate, as chances are that I will not be able to animate while away at college, although I'm hoping to change that. As of right now, most of the voices for the film have been recorded, and I'm almost done animating on one of the main sets. Here's a frame:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2853/9318568332_2828d02269.jpg

The set is only for one scene, which is all dialogue, so the animation is going quickly. I'm also undecided on a title, and probably will be for awhile. I'm really excited to finally be working on this project, and hopefully I can get some of you guys excited to see it. mini/smile

Re: Sherlock Holmes Update Thread

This looks spectacular.

I can safely say that I am very excited for this. However, I'm not just excited for the brickfilm itself, I'm excited about the fact that you are undertaking an ambitious project. I really do enjoy lengthy brickfilms.

I'm sure the final film will be remarkable.

-WT

Yes, please finish this, it sounds cool.
Will you be having a public casting call? 'Cuz I'd like to be a part of this.

Anyway, I've love to see a cleverly written, complex brickfilm, and Mr. Holmes is the perfect source material for that.
Will you be trying to imitate the original tone/setting of the books, one of the many media adaptations, or shaping things to your own ideas? And what about the deerstalker? mini/tongue

For some reason, there aren't that many Sherlock brickfilms. And not that many mysteries either, so you've certainly got a chance to make something very memorable. Can't wait to see more on this!

I followed the plot structure common in the original books, and I definitely tried to capture the same mood, although it's not narrated by Watson like the books. As far as the characters of Holmes and Watson, I followed the characterizations of the books. mini/smile

Sounds good! I've always liked watching "mystery" type brickfilms. The only problem is that most of the ones out there are only about 2 minutes long each mini/confused

Anyway, the frame looks good, and I have a feeling that the final product will be amazing! mini/smile

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Yes, please finish this, it sounds cool.
Will you be having a public casting call? 'Cuz I'd like to be a part of this.

^I second that.

Anyway, this sounds really interesting.  Sherlock Holmes is a great idea for a brickfilm, and I'm excited that you've decided to write an original mystery.  Though in general I'd say that basing it on the original source material (i.e. the books) is best, I think it would be great if you also looked at the BBC TV show Sherlock (that show is brilliant by the way, I'd definitely recommend checking it out if you haven't already).

Looking forward to seeing more!

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Update

I've been really busy with work and life recently, but I now have all of the voice lines recorded as the script is currently written, although a change to the first scene is almost inevitable. I have also finished filming on the first set.

Nice, looking forward to this.

It's looking good, I'm excited! Lovely set you got there, is that the "first set" you were talking about?

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

This looks great! I really like that set design.

Good luck with your project, Backyardlegos. mini/bigsmile

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

Awesome! I love SHerlock holmes (both the stories and the TV show! mini/bigsmile)!!!! Ahh it's Christmas.

Just a thingy though, you said that some scenes contain multiple locations but a scene is "in a single location and continuous time." So you can't have a scene that takes place across more than one location, you have to call it a sequence or something.

@Tobias: Yes, that is the first set.

@topitmunkeydog: There's a scene that contains a fairly long monologue which switches back and forth between present time and flashbacks. It takes place in one location, the room where the flashback story is being told, but has many sets because of the flashback shots. (That's where a lot of the minor sets appear)

I'm glad people are looking forward to this. mini/smile

Nooooo it's still not a scene because scenes have to be continuous

Also your set is super cool so far

Neat!  I'm very excited!

Update

I've animated three of the minor sets, putting the completed animation to a little over a minute and a half. Here's a frame:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7309/9737675655_9f08352924.jpg

I also used practical light for the first time to make a campfire glow, which I'm pretty excited about, but I'm keeping those frames to myself. mini/smile

I've gone back to college, so work on the film will be very limited for the next few months. I'm a biochemistry major, and if you don't know anything about biochemistry, that means I'm extremely busy. I'm also living in an on campus apartment, which is very small, so I don't even have any of my LEGO with me because there's just no room. I will continue to work on planning out shots to the audio, but that's about all I can do at the moment; animation will continue when I go home for Christmas break. I'm also living about 5 minutes from a LEGO store mini/delirium , so I'll be picking up some stuff for sets. Please bear with my insane career choice, I promise I'm still working on the film.

One year bump.

I've abandoned the project. I've done so for a variety of reasons, including being unhappy with both the script and the animation I've filmed so far. You can see the animation shot for the film, as well as get more details on why I've canceled the project here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWchsSRZD_g

I want to thank all the voice actors who worked on the project, especially Brick7 and Pritchard (the only BiM members in the cast, beside myself) for offering their talents. I didn't take this decision lightly; I spent a lot of time thinking about it, and concluded that it would be best for my film-making if I just dropped it and moved on.