Topic: Bricks in Motion mobile version

mini/smile Hey guys! I have been thinking of a BiM app for ios and Android. mini/bigsmile It would be really convenient for brickfilmers if they could upload, post and vote right from their device. Sure you can just go on BiM on the web browser on the device, but the layout is small, slow and inconvenient for people. What if there was an app made for BiM that allowed users to browse this site conveniently from their device. Heck, even an online mobile version will do. I do have a few questions that you developers may be able to answer.
1. How much would an app cost?
2. Do we need the permission of the creators of BiM first?
3. Is it worth it?

26/06/2013 UPDATE: Ok, so apparently this has been discussed before, but forgotten about. This time, it will not be forgotten about. It's not a big task guys. If the community can create a stop motion program, then we can create a mobile version for this site. We just need a team.

03/07/2013 UPDATE: I just need to contact some admins as suggested by Blue Phoenix. I may or may not need some help doing this. Read the latest post for some questions I need answered before I contact the admins.

Last edited by Lavamation (August 1, 2013 (10:43pm))

Moderator note: please do not use signatures larger than 400x100px.

>okay...

Re: Bricks in Motion mobile version

Keesret made this thread last July: http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … obile-app/

I think we came to the conclusion a mobile website would be easier to implement then a full mobile app. I suggested a punBB extension for a mobile version of the forum but didn't really know what I was talking about and didn't get any feedback.

I think a mobile app/website would be great - especially on my phone which has a 3.2 inch screen!

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator

Well is it forgotten about or just scrapped?

>okay...

Forgotten. Nothing was planned to be scraped. People were just skeptical that anyone would develop and maintain it afterwards.

Boats Animator

No offense, but In my opinion, any serious brickfilmer would just use a computer.

BISCUIT!
My website is in construction!

thekingofbricks wrote:

No offense, but In my opinion, any serious brickfilmer would just use a computer.

Perhaps there are times when their computers are turned off or they are away and want to check BiM. Say there's a contest and you are on holiday when the results come out.

While Brickfilming itself its probably best done on a computer, I can see lots of occasions when having an optimized mobile version of BiM would be great. Infact I access this site from my phone most of time.

Boats Animator

BoatsAreRockable wrote:

Infact I access this site from my phone most of time.

Same here. mini/bigsmile

BoatsAreRockable wrote:

People were just skeptical that anyone would develop and maintain it afterwards.

True, but what about Biscut. It is a project even bigger than a mobile version of BiM, and it is still being maintained and developed. It is possible to keep this project maintained (me not being the one to do it) and it is possible to finish it. mini/yes
We just need people willing to work on it.

>okay...

Lavamation wrote:
BoatsAreRockable wrote:

Infact I access this site from my phone most of time.

Same here. mini/bigsmile

BoatsAreRockable wrote:

People were just skeptical that anyone would develop and maintain it afterwards.

True, but what about Biscut. It is a project even bigger than a mobile version of BiM, and it is still being maintained and developed. It is possible to keep this project maintained (me not being the one to do it) and it is possible to finish it. mini/yes
We just need people willing to work on it.

Wow. Didn't read that correctly. I though you wanted an image capture app for mobile. Sorry.

BISCUIT!

I don't know how to do it, but maybe I can research it and see what will need to be done.

>okay...

You could just try to convince the admins to do some redesigning and make it mobile friendly.

BISCUIT!

Ok, and how shall I do that. PM each of them? Email them? Which admin should I contact? I am a complete noob to this.

Last edited by Lavamation (July 3, 2013 (09:24pm))

>okay...

I would pm Sméagol.

How is this message
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bricks in Motion community has brought the topic of a mobile version of the site several times. (Specifically This Thread and This Thread) The community would find it convenient if this site had a mobile version. I got a suggestion to contact the admins of BiM, and specifically, you to see what you would say about it. This is not something mandatory, and it is smaller than for example Biscuit. It's just a small alteration to the site the community would like considering there are users who access the site through their mobile devices.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is what I want to send, but since it is a message from the community, I need some feedback and changes made to it.

>okay...

I am the admin.

I browse BricksInMotion on my phone pretty often and it always worked fine for me just in-browser. I guess a site designed specifically for mobile might make things a little easier to read without zooming in, or something? Of the things we could put a lot of work into on developing this site, I'm not sure a slightly more mobile-friendly reworking of it is the most worthy cause, but if there's a lot of demand I'd certainly be willing to discuss it.

From what I recall, the punBB plugin didn't work with the version of punBB we're running. And we cannot upgrade to the latest version of punBB because we've significantly re-engineered the forum's backend to accomodate site-wide integration of the forum accounts (and integration with the film directory). The programming on this site is sort of a quilt of code from six different programmers, not even including the punBB team, so it would likely be a challenge to adapt to a new mobile-styled redesign.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png