Topic: One Film to Rule Them All, LEGO The Fellowship of the Ring update

For years I have dreamed of recreating a whole film in LEGO, and now it will begin. LEGO The Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring will be split up into about 25 parts each about 10-15 minutes long. Part 1 will hopefully come out later this summer. Stay tuned for more.

Update: production has been pushed back once more. I have just bought a new video editing program that will make it 3-D. Some scenes need to be reshot and some have not been shot.

Last edited by Galactic Films (September 2, 2013 (06:43am))

Re: One Film to Rule Them All, LEGO The Fellowship of the Ring update

Sound interesting! Just keep in mind that if you use the actual audio from LOTR, you might get some copyright troubles and what not.

Can't wait!

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

I will be using blender animation and stop motion animation and green screening the blender part to the background. like I said I have been planning this for years and I finally got my skills to the level I want them to be. It will be filmed at 15 fps.

I love how you have courage to start something this big. Good luck!!!http://www.bricksinmotion.com/images/cheer.gif

Last edited by VerkkuUkkeliProductions (July 11, 2013 (01:49am))

Quite an undertaking.  I'd love it, though.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Today I am beginning the stop motion of part 1: One Ring to Rule Them All.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but is it really going to be fulfilling to reshoot two hours of another director's film? I mean, we're talking many months or more likely years of work here. The idea of remaking a film in LEGO is appealing on the surface because it seems like an immediate accomplishment (having remade an entire professional work as an independent amateur). That said, what do you really get out of it? Ultimately you're offering something that has already been done very well with trivial changes; I can't think of any real advantage to filming LoTR with bricks, aside from the spectacle. As a viewer, I'd much rather see an original fantasy film than a remake of an existing one, no matter how well done it may be.

I don't mean to put you off ambition- if you decide to go through with this I'll likely watch at least some of the end result (though to be honest it would have to be incredibly well done to convince me to watch the whole thing). I just don't want to see you commit to a project only to suffer the agony of realizing after months of hard work that even if you do finish, the end project won't be something you can really feel personally invested in. I've done it before- it isn't fun. By all means, make your own decision, but I think you deserve fair warning that things might not work as smoothly as you hope.

Here is the way I look at it. Yes I will be remaking another person's film but the fact that it has never been done is reason enough for me. I wish I could be doing one of the STAR WARS films but that is to much work to animate the lightsabers and blasters where as with LotR all it is, is swords, axes and bows and arrows. This is one of my favorite stories and I would love to recreate this great world into the world of Lego.   mini/smile

I love your ambition, but I do agree with Squash that re-creating an entire film in Lego, as cool as it is, wouldn't be enjoyable enough for some people. Also, I really don't see how Star Wars would be much harder than Lotr, but it's once again it's your decision.

Well, as long as it's enjoyable to him, he should pursue it.

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Well, as long as it's enjoyable to him, he should pursue it.

I don't believe anything I said runs contrary to that. I'm merely suggesting the possibility that Galactic might find making his own films more enjoyable than remaking someone else's.

well Squash if you go to my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/tjcjmay you will see that most of my videos are remakes of other TV shows and Movies. So for me personally I like doing remakes. But thanks for watching out for me.

I think you should start with lotr and then twist it a bit to fit your film style, so that way you can avoid squashes point. I mean at some point we've all probably had ideas on how to make the film better right? Here's your chance to do just that.

BISCUIT!
My website is in construction!

mini/tongue mini/lol mini/smile mini/blankexpression mini/sad mini/bigsmile mini/eek mini/wink mini/confused mini/madhead mini/rolleyes mini/sunnies . just testing out the faces. I am new to the site.

I was, at one point, right where you are: working on a LEGO LOTR film. But, even after writing over 70 pages of screenplay, I thought to myself, "Wait, what? This is crazy. I'm crazy!" When I did a read-through of the screenplay, it timed in at about an hour and a half. I couldn't do this on my own! I kinda put it off, maybe for a few years.

You've got a great ambition, but trying to recreate a three-hour live-action fantasy-fiction blockbuster with LEGO bricks is insane. I'd agree with Squash over here. For a beginner brickfilmer like you, to do something like this is kind of outrageous. I'm also gonna kind of reiterrate what the King of Bricks said; try your hand at making a shorter LEGO LOTR adventure. Not some unfunny spoof of the movies, but just...something that isn't three hours long.

A three-hour brickfilm is something un-heard of. But, it's not something impossible. You can pursue this idea of yours if you want. But, even if you don't, a three-hour-long brickfilm is an ambition that somebody somewhere will achieve some day.

P.S. When you make this LEGO LOTR film, don't just accord to the film trilogy. The books are there too, and Tolkien has some stuff that might be useful when making a Lord of the Rings brickfilm. I would look through some of the notes and, overall, read the books. I mean, if I were to make a LEGO LOTR film--which I actually tried to do--I would base it on the books, not the films.

Good luck on this idea!

Last edited by Mickey (June 25, 2013 (06:01pm))

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Delving into what I did with no experience was similarly crazy.  But I managed.  Still, it may be best to try a hand at a few short animations to get some experience/practice and produce some complete works

I have been brick filming for years. And using Blender will move the project along faster. I love LEGOs I love The Lord of the Rings and to see these two great worlds collide, and for me to be a part of it, would be awesome. mini/sunnies

Yeah, it would be awesome.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Please Note: This film will be based on the THEACTTRACUL version of The Fellowship of the Ring NOT the Extended Edition. Which means this video will be about 2 hours and 56 minutes. mini/smile

7 more minuts to film.:)