Topic: Adding the "Cool" Moderators

I've noticed recently on BiM something about the moderators.

I was OK at first when it was just Night Owl, when it went to Smeagol too I wasn't so sure. And now loads of people are getting moderations because of their brickfilming skill.

Just look at:
Sloth Paladin (Skilled)
Dewfilms (Skilled)
0ldscratch (Skilled)
Nathan Wells (Skilled)
Shale (Skilled)

It seems that moderators are just being added judging on their skill, which I am annoyed by.

Moderators shouldn't be added by their skill, Night Owl was a great moderator because he was careful and kind. The other moderators have practically started a "Moderator cool club" where all the great brickfilmers hang out and show off they're moderators.

First off I'd like to know why they're moderators, I haven't seen any of them but Sloth Paladin actually working and contributing for the site. I'd also like to know if it's just Smeagol adding them as mods or others.

Can someone explain this to me? Am I missing something?

"Animation is about creating the illusion of life. And you can't create it if you don't have one." - Brad Bird

Re: Adding the "Cool" Moderators

the only thing I'm not getting is why shale is a mod all of a sudden. mini/confused

http://i.imgur.com/kmwjd.png
[10]]

Lots of skilled people also deserve to be moderators. Usually there's no skilled idiot.

You're completely looking at this from the wrong angle.

In the case of Sloth and myself, being moderators is a secondary effect.  Sloth gained powers because he has been breaking his back building the directory.  Likewise, my primary duty is Resources.

Also, I haven't made a brickfilm in many many months, and I doubt I will make another brickfilm for several years.

Being a moderator is not a "cool" job.  It, generally, is not fun.  Why?  Because we have to spend lots to time cleaning up bad posts...and then the rest of the time we have to deal with threads like this accusing us of being some sort of elitist club.

Please accept the fact that this website does not run on a democracy. A democracy is NOT an efficient way to run a website.

And where, exactly, have you seen moderators getting together into a "Moderator Cool Club"?

www.BIMModeratorCoolClub.com

I am pretty sure everyone on that list is either an adult or almost an adult. They are fairly mature people who know what is constructive and what is spam and know how to handle those situations. They are all members that have been around for a while, which has made them Skilled Animators, so they aren't moderators in a "cool club". But seriously go to www.BIMModeratorCoolClub.com
It's cool mini/mrgreen

NXTManiac

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

The reason they are moderators is because they are brickfilming veterans with lots of experience on these forums and are well respected.

They can also be trusted.

Yep, age was definitely a factor, not that younger people can't be mature but certainly adults who have been in the community for at least a few years tend to be more reliable.  I have been in the community longer than anybody still here (Unless you count Stefan and mrgraff, who do post occasionally), so I think that qualifies me as being fairly knowledgable and experienced with the community.

The bottom line is that moderators were chosen based on maturity, not brickfilming ability.  I personally can only recall one film that I've seen that was by dewfilms, it really wasn't a consideration but the fact that she's a mother with children and did a good job of moderating at Brickfilms.com in the past definitely was.  As for SlothPaladin, he's a programmer not a moderator.  The others you have listed are mature adults and as a result they're suitable to be moderators, because of their age and experience they tend to be some of the better filmmakers on the site as well.  (Not that I'm saying you're old or anything, Chris!)

And regarding not having seen these people do anything: a good moderator tends to be fairly invisible.  We try to just send warnings and deal with reports privately, rather than resorting to public humiliation.  Is that what you would prefer?

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Splash, they have became moderators because everyone here can trust them, they have experience on this site and some have experience in moderating.

There's a reason why each of them are moderators.

Night Owl was the first moderator here because he was the Minister of Discussion (which is basically "the head mod" on the old bf.com) and Dewfilms - She used to be a moderator on bf.com for a very long time in 2004 I believe.
Shale - He was/is a moderator on brickfilms.com.  He's been here a long time and he is trust-worthy.
0ldscratch - Another trust worthy veteran.  He is also a moderator on brickfilms.com
Sméagol - He's the site admin, so he's a moderator by default.
Nathan Wells - He had been a moderator on brickfilms.com for quite a while.  And also because he is working on the resources section, as he mentioned above.
SlothPaladin - Same goes for Nathan Wells, he's the site coder working on the directory, so he's an admin, which makes him a moderatpr by default.

So try not to over react unless you have a problem with the moderating team and how they are moderating.

-Steve

They picked the most mature.

-LBJ

AHH THE JET SET '60'S, THANKS NANCY!
Youtube | JM-Music | Facebook
"But 3D is cool as nipples, man. " - Jimmybob

^ What they said. It's about maturity and commitment to the site, not how good a brickfilmer they are. And if you're going to be around the site long enough to demonstrate those two qualities, you're bound to be pretty good. If it was all about skill, why isn't MindGame on the list?

And hey, would you want a cooking forum moderated by the acne-faced teenager working the fryer at McDonalds?

With all due respect Noodle, I don't want you here. - Ratboy Productions

http://blog.dreamhost.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/slap.gif

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/minifig77/banners/logo.png
click me for my YouTube!

MMproductions wrote:

http://blog.dreamhost.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/slap.gif

Why? I've seen you say "Please don't spam my thread." So that's pretty hypocritical.

OK, I understand now. Sorry if I made too much of a fuss about it.

"Animation is about creating the illusion of life. And you can't create it if you don't have one." - Brad Bird

It's spam, and hilarius xD

and dude... what did you expect ? they are not just making somebody a Mod. and it's definatly a party for them.

just show some respect for what they are doing for us.

-Darkman

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

NXTManiac wrote:

But seriously go to www.BIMModeratorCoolClub.com
It's cool mini/mrgreen

Is that really a url? [/reallystupidthingtoaskcuzIalreadyknowwhattheanswerwillbe]

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

It is, but it only works if you're a mod.

0ldScratch wrote:

It is, but it only works if you're a mod.

Nice

There, it's under 400 pixels wide, happy mods?
Nope, please don't use a signature image taller than 100 pixels.  Thanks.  (That time it was 150 pixels tall!)
http://www.youtube.com/TheTacoMen

So they DO have a cool club... mini/jaw

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

If you guys actually believe that, you're one sad bunch of kids.

-LBJ

AHH THE JET SET '60'S, THANKS NANCY!
Youtube | JM-Music | Facebook
"But 3D is cool as nipples, man. " - Jimmybob

The thing is though, they're not that far from the truth either. mini/tongue

If you get good at animation and lighting like me you will magically get good at PHP, SQL, JavaScript, and CSS. After that you might have a chance at being a cool kid.