Topic: How can I achieve a holgraphic screen for a scene?

How can I create a holographic scene something exactly like a hologram, however just thinner and as a square so it looks like a screen, I want to use it for a SCI-FI based lego film, I am currently doing, I'd really appreciate some tips, and instructions if they can be also easy to understand that would be a bonus!

I have After effects CS4, and gimp if needed.

I am not very familiar with AE as I am more a sony vegas, user but I would still really appreciate the tips and helpful info, as I'd really like to create it, and use the help, I'll defiantly be sure to add the helper in the credits, if the film comes out well.

Thanks in advance,

With Kind regards,
Generalned

Moderator Notice: This user has been banned for mass vandalism of the Brikifilms wiki.]
"You don't know what you have till you lose it, but then when you realize it, it's probably to late.."
Working on a better community
Proverbs 26:21

Re: How can I achieve a holgraphic screen for a scene?

I've done something like this before. Are looking for a hologram effect kind of like this?

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag121/CavemanIncorporated/ScreenShot2013-05-17at64444AM_zps1185bed7.png

Also the video of that is here, but you don't need to wach the whole thing. I was not too good back then...

Anyway, that is what it looked like with poor compression. If you want help on how to make this, let me know mini/smile

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag121/CavemanIncorporated/BiM_Sig_Monkey_zpse6d51622.jpg

Yes that effect, is actually something very close to what I need, infact it would be great, I'd like to know how you did it, also how would I go for adjusting its height? I'd want it to be much smaller, so its as a small hologram something you pull out of a lego characters pocket or such.

Thanks, Caveman Incorporated

Kind regards,
Generalned

Moderator Notice: This user has been banned for mass vandalism of the Brikifilms wiki.]
"You don't know what you have till you lose it, but then when you realize it, it's probably to late.."

I made this in after effects, which you said you have however with little experience so I'll try and explain as well as I can.

If the minifigure pulls a brick out of his pocket with the hologram on it, film the minifigure pulling the brick out of his pocket and then film the hologram animation with a solid high contrast background (like green screening or blue screening). Then import those two clip into after effects and create a new composition. Take the footage of the hologram and in the search bar above the effects and presets tab on the right side of the after effects window, type in Keylight. Click and drag the keylight search result onto the video of the hologram footage with the colored background. Then, in the preset controls, click on the screen color in the keylight plugin and then click on the solid color background. That should result in a transparent hologram footage. Then search for noise. Put the noise onto the hologram animation. Then search in the same place you searched for keylight for hue/saturation. Drag that plugin onto the hologram footage. Then change the hue until it turns the desired color. Then animate and scale accordingly to fit the boundaries of the brick/canvas. Best of luck, and ask for clarification if you get stuck mini/smile

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag121/CavemanIncorporated/BiM_Sig_Monkey_zpse6d51622.jpg

Thanks so much Caveman you actually explained it suberbly well, I just finished an animation tonight, did a star trek remake of a scene which you can see in the WIP section the hologram is going to be for a project I'll hopefully work on tommour sometime, If I get a chance, if I don't manage to make it, it's cause of lack of experience, however I believe I should be able to do it, since it's explained quite clearly and thourghly thanks for that!
My only question is for the scaling part whats the best way to do this?
And do I need to import the green screen scene in the other scene?
For me the reason I don't really use AE is that I don't like how it does not have a timeline!
Its frustrating.

With kind regards,
Generalned

Once the green screened hologram scene is complete, then you can import the footage that you want to put it onto, and to scale something in after effects just click on the clip at the bottom of the screen beneath the video preview and press the "s" key. Just s. Two percents numbers should appear beneath the clip, one for vertical scale and one for horizontal scale. By default, they are linked so that if one is adjusted, the other is, too. Jus change the scale by clicking and dragging on the number to the proper size.

Common Hotkeys to use the same way as using scale:
L - Location of the video
M - View masks
MM - View mask properties
R - Rotation

Awesome thanks so much man, when I get a chance to buy something to create a green effect, I'll try it out, cheers mate! Great info!

Kind regards,
Generalned

Even if you have a green shirt, if it is flat it will work for teh size of legos, however a green screen would be a good investment. Good luck! mini/smile

Haha a green shirt, man good point, I guess I'll give it a shirt, iron board prepare for ironing! Lol.

Wait will dark green work? mini/blankexpression

And thanks mini/smile

Any color will work as long as the minifigure does not have that color on them anywhere, and it is highly contrsted from the colors of the figure, like a brighter green shirt on a dark colored minifigure.

Use key "T" to acces opacity. You can lower the opacity to make hologram more transparent(Which means that you'll be able to see through it). mini/wink

VerkkuUkkeliProductions hey thanks alot for that brief but helpful tip, appreciate it! mini/smile

kind regards,
Generalned

VerkkuUkkeliProductions - Yes! Thank you, I forgot to mention that.