Topic: Looking for input on my story idea/update thread for unnamed brickfilm

Okay, so I've been messing around with this idea for a week or two now.  Remember, this is in the very first stages of preproduction so things will change!  I'm mostly posting this here so that hopefully, it will get a few people wanting to watch it.  I've been having trouble lately with actually finishing the movies I start, so with people knowing about it there will be a little incentive to finish it.  I have no idea when I would finish or how long it will be (yet).

I don't have much of a storyline yet.  There are a few certain scenes I know I want in it, but I don't know the main idea yet. 
It'll go something like this:
There's a large corporation/government that is tyrannical and evil, but the people can't do anything about it because the corporation/government is too powerful and they...let's say...get rid of anyone who opposes them.  I think the co./go. will be producing something that helps keep the people down.  Either some kind of drug to keep them oppressed, something like the Extremis 'virus' to give the baddies extra strength, or even just extremely oppressive treatment. 

So then there's this guy Insider-Ian who works pretty high up on the chain of evil people.  He's always tried to help the people behind the scenes but he can't do much in his position.  So he goes out on the street and meets with this guy Biker-Bob who has a small "team", Driver-Dan and Techie-Tim, that are very good at what they do.  They have to stop what's going on. 

It's set in modern-day times, I'm thinking, and the bad guys have plenty of underhanded soldiers/guards. 

A few of the scenes I know I want are: something where people are escaping on an airplane, a big shootout in the main location for the bad guys, a dramatic injury/death (?!), a scene where one of the good guys gets captured and betrayed even(?), and a few others.

So here's the characters (these are all temporary names)

Here's the good guys, from left to right:
Biker-Bob(main hero kinda, tough, he's a fighter, rides a motorcycle), Driver-Dan(main driver, he's the guy who can drive a van, car, fly a plane, pilot a boat, anything. He's also very strong), Techie-Tim(extremely computer savvy, he's a total techie), Insider-Ian.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8260/8707801977_c2f7028f12_z.jpg

Here's the leader/head/president of the main evil corporation/government, Evil Eric:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8553/8707800745_d7d9835be4_z.jpg

Here's some of the generic bad guys (sorry for the bad focus on this one)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8552/8708922478_d3d1f28332_z.jpg

So, yeah.  That's what I've got.  I plan on the genre being action/drama, I guess.  I'd like some intense action scenes, some dramatic scenes, and some scary scenes. 

Please let me know if there's anything you think might fit in to this story or that you just think would look really cool.
I'll be posting updates in this thread once I have more of a basis for a story.

I might be interested in having someone help with the screenplay if they've made a story kind of like this before.  Or if you've had experience with action brickfilm, whatever.   

Thanks for your time!
JonnDthunDer

EDIT: I gave the characters temporary names

Last edited by JonnDthunDer (May 5, 2013 (12:25pm))

Re: Looking for input on my story idea/update thread for unnamed brickfilm

I like the character designs, they look good.

Even if they are generic and temporary, try to give the guys names. It helps define their personality, and makes writing the script easier. Even something like "Driver-Dom" "Techie-Tom" and "Biker-Bill" would help. (It's also fun!)

The "Big scary government taken down by a small group of rebels" is done a lot, so you'll have to come up with some creative angle to give it it's own spin. Unnamed #1 going undercover to find them will help with this, but it needs a bit more.

Here's some quick suggestions:

Spoiler (click to read)

Kill the main hero, and make it a surprise. Movies hardly ever do this. Even better, have The Government guys capture a close relation of 4's, he then betrays 2 in, 2 gets killed, but because of that 4 repents and in the climax turns on the government guys even though it would mean the death of his relation.
Also, shootout on the plane. That would be cool. Nice and narrow, lots of cover, oh yeah. mini/wink
I'd say having the bigger guns, and lots of soldiers would be enough for the Government, and there's no need to complicate things with a super-soldier-serum. Also, the government could control all of the media, and keep people from finding out all the evil things they do.

Sounds interesting, and I hope some other, more experienced, story writers offer you some more helpful advice.

The agancy should be a government agency; corporate agencies are a tired cliche and govt can have more power, since they can impose laws on those they wish to, including corporations, where corps can't do the same to gov't.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Thanks for the help so far, Pritchard and HoldingOurOwn!  I just changed the original post to include temporary names, I'm still working on the nature of the main bad...group.  Whatever it ends up being.
Pritchard, you gave me some great ideas!  I don't know about exactly using anything you said, but it did give me inspiration!  And I really like your idea about the main hero, I was already pondering that but sort of decided against it. 
Thanks again!

Anyone else have ideas?

Last edited by JonnDthunDer (May 6, 2013 (12:10pm))

So I don't usually like it when people write a story as an outlet for like stuff they want to do like effects or special minifigures. I think the story should be the main focus but you could probably make this good. Like make it unique though. What if it was told from the bad guys point of view?? But not in the pixar-ish cliche where the bad guy eventually turns good.. let them be bad! Indulge a whole bunch in their evilness!!
I'll give more suggestions a bit later because I gtg now. I do have a bit more to say but I don't have time sorry and also sorry if all that came out a bit muddled I'll probably say it in a more coherent way so probably just disregard it idk I am so distracted right now sorry mini/smile

The bad group should sell some sort of "Performance-Enhancing" drug. The drug should have major side-effects that cause bad symptoms and illusions and memory loss. This could take an oppressive role as most of the people will take it as a government ordinance and go loopy! Then most won't have the power to do anything to stop it. The government should get money off of this too because the people get the first time free then the next they have to pay. And they continue to because they need a fix. One of the main 4 should become really addicted if you want a cool betrayal scene.

Okay! I'll shut up! I don't want to write this for you! Just some suggestions. Hope you like 'em!

π Cherry π Banana Cream π Pumpkin π Lemon-Lemon π Black Berry π Quiche π

OK now I have no idea what I was going to say about your story I know there was something else that I was going to say but I totally lost it... So i'll just say this looks good

topitmunkeydog wrote:

I think the story should be the main focus but you could probably make this good. Like make it unique though. What if it was told from the bad guys point of view?? But not in the pixar-ish cliche where the bad guy eventually turns good.. let them be bad! Indulge a whole bunch in their evilness!!

Yeah, I think that that was the pov they used in "Jericho: Promise Fulfuilled"

@topitmunkeydog
I understand what you're saying about the story, but I usually have difficulty coming up with a good story just by itself.  I think I do better if I start with a certain character that I like or scene I want to make, and then things start falling in place (again, for me at least).  I think I'm not going to tell it from the POV of the bad guy, it will most likely be from the view of the hero (or might he be an anti-hero mini/eh ); though that's not carved in stone.
@PrestigiousPieProductions
Thanks for the suggestions!  I was thinking of some kind of drug they released into the water supply, but that's really, really unoriginal.  Whatever the (I'll call it government for now) government does, I want to not need too much of a backstory or a very long explanation.  I'm working on some stuff and I'll certainly keep your suggestion in mind!

Thanks again for the help, guys!  Just so you all know, I'm not going to have access to my computer from Thursday until the 25th.  So if anyone leaves any suggestions or ideas after Wednesday and I don't answer, don't worry, I'm not ignoring you mini/tongue

What ever you decide, make sure you kill THE main or one of the main characters. Movies or Books that kill one of the main characters are kind of good.

Not always.  Luke Skywalker and Jack Bauer weren't killed.

Instead of some drug being released into the water you could say there was an air born toxin that was released and for the exception of a small hand few the rest of the population has been affected by it.
This group go's about trying to bring down the Goverment while trying to find a cure to release people from the drug that has affected them.
This is a very cool idea and has many directions it can go in.
Ultimately you have the final say in what will happen, but I must say it is a very good idea that you have to film now.
Thanks you have just turned up my creative juices LOL,
Keep us posted bud, really want to see where this story go's.

Jack Bauer was going to be killed. Keifer Sutherland wanted to kill him off, but obviously he didn't.

The 24 writers never know what they're going to do next.  But they were planning a 24 movie.

I'm waiting for this movie. Hope they make it. But JohnDthunder, give the film a good cliff hanger