Topic: Scripting: 10 quick tips on formatting & plot

Just sharing more of what I learned with the community.

–    Set paper to letter size, portrait orientation.  Type in Courier New 12-point font.  Use 2 1/2 inch margins on the left and right for dialogue.
–    Scene changes are written INT./EXT. LOCATION IN CAPS – DAY/NIGHT/DUSK/DAWN.  INT/EXT denotes interior or exterior shots, DAY/NIGHT/etc. indicate required lighting conditions for your scene.
–    Write only what can be seen.  ("Dana has a crush on Matthew"/ "Saul is an undercover cop" are two things that can't be seen.)
–    Never write (beat.) for a pause.  If you must, write (pause.)
–    Use ALL CAPS for every character's or prop's first appearace in every scene.
–    Center and USE ALL CAPS for your character's name above his dialogue.
–    If a character has an unusual trait or telent the plot depends on, make sure it's developed in the story before its use.  (Example: BLAST FROM THE PAST: Adam can dance and speak French; early in the movie, his parents teach him how as a child.)
–    Make sure your main character has more at stake than any other, and makes decisions that affect the outcome the greatest.
–    When creating story ideas, ask these questions about every action every character takes: What is the motive?  How does this action affect the acting character and the other characters?  The motive doesn't have to be shown explicitly, because people do things while keeping their true intent unseen in their minds.  It does have to be known by you, the writer, though, since they are your characters, and motives make up who they are.
–    When answering these questions or coming up with reasons for things in the setting as you develop your story's world, NEVER EVER settle on your first answer.  Your second answer shouldn't satisfy you, either.  Beyond that, you'll be digging deeper and thus finding richer, more complex, subtle, and realistic reasons for things.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Re: Scripting: 10 quick tips on formatting & plot

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

NEVER EVER settle on your first answer.

Sometimes, the first answer is the best.  The first answer is usually the most logical and sensible choice, therefore, it will often work very well.

Hey, thanks for the advice. Especially the part about only write what is seen.

The first idea is usually a cliche, the second one too.  It's better to go deeper, because 1) it's something your audience sees and says, "They always act that way in that situation," and 2) a deeper answer is really more intricate.  Her'san example provided by Orson Scott Card:

A magic king's power comes from his abstinance.  If he engages in intimacy, he loses all his power.  He has guards to protect him from escaping abstinance.  The first answer most people think of for a story is that he's trying to find some way to escape this and look for physical contact.  But no! Think deeper, and maybe he thinks he isn't restricted enough.  He reinforces his guards constantly out of fear of losing self-control.  It's a deeper answer, more insightful, makes his character more intricate, and is even more "real" and interesting than the type of king most would settle on.

Out of interest: why is it frowned upon to use (beat.) or (pause.) - less so, in screenplays

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator

Don't we already have this?

http://i.imgur.com/CSwoca1.png

Yeah but that's all about formatting. Hlding our own made an invaluable guide on every other aspect of writing a screenplay. Like theory stuff. That's important too, you know.

To be honest, I'm not sure why formatting is even a problem anymore; there's no dearth of software specifically made for scriptwriting. If you're an aspiring professional I guess I can see going beyond that, but I'd imagine the tools available would more than suffice for the majority of hobbyists.

As far as the actual plot tips are concerned, most of them seem alright. That said, I think a lot of the points are more general advice than the absolutes they're made out to be. For example,

Make sure your main character has more at stake than any other, and makes decisions that affect the outcome the greatest.

Disregarding that some stories don't even have one central character, there are many times when taking control away from the main character is more effective than presenting him with a clear decision. It's up to the author to decide if the character controls the world or if the world controls the character. Whether the main character should have more at stake than anyone else is similarly debatable. Some fine stories feature main characters that never really suffer any direct consequences, but deeply impact the people around them. It all comes down to what type of story you want to tell.

I'd also be weary of diving too deep when it comes to world building, at least before you have the main structure of your film built. There's certainly merit in putting a lot of consideration into the finer points of a story, but it's fairly easy to get wrapped up in the details without realizing that the meat of what you've created is boring or not engaging. I've seen a lot of people spending time building back-stories and characters without putting any thought into the types of stories they want to tell with them (or for that matter, learning how to tell them). It generally doesn't end well.

I don't think the advice as presented is bad, necessarily... I guess I feel like more interesting work has come out of subverting established rules than following them. At present, few brickfilms have anything more than a rudimentary plot. I feel like we should be more concerned with getting people to care about telling their own stories than getting them to follow our preferred storytelling techniques. It's wonderful that you're interested in getting people to consider these things; I just want to opine that there's more to writing a great story than following conventions to the letter. Writing any story would be a good start.

Well of course whenever there are rules someone's bound to break them, and that's where art comes from.

But if you are just like forget this I ain't listenin to nobody then your work is going to suck. So you have to learn those rules before you break them. You learn the rules because the rules have a purpose. Once you are good enough at achieving the purpose with the rules you can progress to doing so without them. This is applicable to everything. For music, listen to Erik Satie, or even modern experimental artists like Ratatat or Daedalus. Art, look at any modern movement, from neoplasticism to pop art. And movies, look for new ideas expressed in innovative ways. Like Stanley Kubrick.

But if you are just like forget this I ain't listenin to nobody then your work is going to suck.

Is it, though? I'm not saying people should disregard criticism, but I don't believe following these general rules is really pivotal to creating interesting stories. I honestly don't think following this sort of advice is going to substantially improve someone's writing- but it can convince them to constrain themselves to tropes. I'd argue that following high-level rules without a low-level understanding of why they exist is more harmful than initially doing your own thing, even if the former may produce less obviously terrible work. At least if someone fails a few times they might develop a sense of why these rules exist- something they might not get creating mediocre but difficult to criticize work with the write by numbers approach. I realize what I'm saying here goes against conventional wisdom; I guess what I'm getting at is that I'd rather see someone say 'forget the rules' and learn about writing from the ground up than give themselves the false impression that there are unwavering rules of writing that they should never challenge.

Anyway, I don't claim to really know anything about writing, so by all means do whatever you think works.

Somebody at Pixar has a rule about how random coincidences are great for getting people into trouble, but should be avoided for getting them out.

I've seen a lot of people post about that, and it seems like a really good guideline.
However, the Hobbit goes almost completely against it.  It's basically about a fellow who gets into very sticky situations, then gets out of him because he was really lucky the whole time.

So many certain rules can be ignored and yet still give you good stories.  They should usually be taken more as guidelines.

Instead of using whatever isn't the first idea, think of several answers and choose that one that is best regardless of if it's first or not.  Though, I usually find that my first idea is best.

THe (beat.) is something that you should avoid if you're planning to write professionally.  When a screenplay is submitted to a studio, those who read the screenplays judge the format as well as the content.  When they see (beat.), they recognize the screenplay as amateur, even if it is well-written and has a compelling story otherwise.  The word (pause.) gives the actor the freedom to decide what an appropriate length to pause should be.

Squid, all that I write in the creative department are guidelines.  Guidelines aren't set in stone.  But looking for a deeper reason engages the mind.  I've rarely settled on the first answer.  The first answer usually is what the audience would expect.  Hopefully, that comes through in the characteriations. 

Disregarding that some stories don't even have one central character, there are many times when taking control away from the main character is more effective than presenting him with a clear decision. It's up to the author to decide if the character controls the world or if the world controls the character. Whether the main character should have more at stake than anyone else is similarly debatable. Some fine stories feature main characters that never really suffer any direct consequences, but deeply impact the people around them. It all comes down to what type of story you want to tell.

Two things: 1) Many stories have an ensemble cast.  M*A*S*H, for instance.  Like the pack comedy, the relationships between characters becomes the focus, rather than a main cnaracter that stands out.  Still, like Ted in "how I met Your Mother" and Pierce in M*A*S*H, a central character emerges.  Also, what I mentioned above doesn't necesarily mean that the main character has the most freedom to act.  In the original Star Wars Trilogy, Luke was the main character, but most of the decisions of Luke & the rebels were in reaction to Vader, who had the most freedom to act.  But Luke's decision to not give in to hate led partly to Vader's decision to overthrow the Emperor.  Even a little bit of ability to act can change the outcome.

I'd also be weary of diving too deep when it comes to world building, at least before you have the main structure of your film built. There's certainly merit in putting a lot of consideration into the finer points of a story, but it's fairly easy to get wrapped up in the details without realizing that the meat of what you've created is boring or not engaging. I've seen a lot of people spending time building back-stories and characters without putting any thought into the types of stories they want to tell with them (or for that matter, learning how to tell them). It generally doesn't end well.

At least having rules for a sci-fi or fantasy world is important.  If speed-of-light travel is not possible, colonists of a new planet would think twice about a return trip, and be more likely to rough things out.  Just decding that "Holding Our Own" takes place in a German community helped me flesh out the characteres' traits.  Story is paramount, but a well-developed world opens possibilities for your characters.

I just posted this because lately, there have been people asking for help in story ideas and scripting/ formatting.  BIM has been good to me, so I wanted to help those people get a creative start.

The guidlines are not set in stone, they are not there to restrict, and are not formulas, either.  Without the rules of Grammar, we couldn't communicate effectively.  uTy jjid? 7jiv  EwhhhRismc !cjih t edeDD

Last edited by HoldingOurOwn (April 24, 2013 (06:47am))

But if you are just like forget this I ain't listenin to nobody then your work is going to suck.

Lol sorry I was unclear here. By this I meant disregarding the rules before you have learned them. I didn't mean to say anything about criticism.

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Never write (beat.) for a pause.  If you must, write (pause.)

I don't think that's entirely true, I've read a number of professional screenplays that have used the term "beat" to identify a break in a scene. Besides, "beat" and "pause" are basically the same thing.

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Use ALL CAPS for every character's or prop's first appearace in every scene.

Incorrect. Use ALL CAPS to introduce a character, i.e. the character's first appearance in the script, but not again after that. The only other time to use all caps is to denote a specific SOUND heard in a scene.

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Make sure your main character has more at stake than any other, and makes decisions that affect the outcome the greatest.

Again, not entirely true. I'll echo Squash when there comes times in a particular film or screenplay where control or "stakes" are taken away from the principal character to a more supporting player, perhaps as a means to either increase the plight of the main character in some way or to expand the scope of the story as a whole. I think it would be hard to argue, for example, that Jake Gittes in Chinatown has more "at stake" to lose than Evelyn Mulwray, despite him being the "lead" character.

I agree that you should only write what is seen, though. The true sign of an amateur screenplay is when the writer attempts to include his own "direction" into the script, whether it be explicitly stating specific thoughts a character has or identifying how a particular line should be read using parentheticals. This is especially true when it comes to working in live-action; actors will immediately disregard lines like those, since part of their job is to take what's written and interpret it on their own (with some help from the director) rather than have them told how it's supposed to be.

Last edited by MindGame (April 24, 2013 (05:23pm))

For professional screenplays, yeah you should do what Mind Game says. But if you're the only person who will read it (besides people to give criticism) make the screenplay as clear as possible to you. If you want to emphasize certain lines, you should do that so you will remember how you want it. Because you're the director there. And in this situation the only reason to professionally format a screenplay is for practice. So maybe you should do it, but worry less.

That's the reason for capitalizing the first time any person or prop appears in the scene.  It's easy to locate, and to know what needs to be present in the scene.  Since I'm a behavioralist and not a freudian, and since these were quick tips, I didn't write the WHY for anything here, but if anyone has questions (like the guy who asked about the (beat.)), just let me know.  Again, these are all just guidelines that can help someone stuck, but the formatting tips are so you get into the format habit, in case you are someone who may be considering writing professionally one day.