Topic: LEGO: The Time Machine

Directory Link

LEGO: The Time Machine

Youtube

My first attempt at Brickfilming.  This video was made for a contest at a local youth festival (unfortunately, it didn't win).  The theme of the contest was "Back to the Future".  The film is a bit rushed, and looking at it now I see several places where I think I could have improved; but, all in all, considering the time I had to animate this (I made this in just over a month) and my inexperience with stop-motion animation at the time, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.  Let me know what you think!

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Re: LEGO: The Time Machine

Very nice! As I said on YouTube, I really like the set building, it's amazing! Also, the film harmonates with the music! Great job! mini/wink

Have a nice day!

-ParadiseBricks-

Born 2 be brickfilmer.

www.youtube.com/paradisebricks

This is very well done for a first brickfilm, your definitely starting better off than most. The sets were really really nice, they were definitely the best part; they were believable and very nicely detailed, I loved them. The idea was also clever and well executed; you included a nice variety of historical events, it was always easy to tell what was going on, there was some nice humor thrown in, and the pacing was good, it didn't feel rushed or drawn out.  I also liked the black and white minifig effect for the time travel, that was clever. You seem to have the creative side down pretty well. I noticed a few big things that can be improved on technically. The most obvious would be the frame rate; bump it up a little bit and the quality will jump. The focus also seemed off on a couple shots. I could be wrong, but it seemed like your camera may have been on auto focus, which is a cardinal sin in stop motion. Also, the absence of sound in the beginning was very off-putting, in almost every situation, especially at the very beginning of a film, there should always be some sort of audio; silence leaves the viewer wondering if there is something wrong with their computer. Some subtle machine noise would have fit the scene nicely. Keep practicing animation, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the future. mini/smile

Last edited by backyardlegos (April 5, 2013 (03:24pm))

@ParadiseBricks: Thanks! mini/smile

@backyardlegos:  Thanks!  I filmed it at 15 FPS; I guess it's more of a matter of me improving my animation skills rather than upping the frame rate.  There is sound at the beginning, it's a sort of ambient humming, but for some reason YouTube made it really quiet so you have to turn up the volume quite a bit to hear it.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

backyardlegos wrote:

(A very nice a thorough review)

^Ditto.

For a first brickfilm, this was really good. I agree completely with everything backyardlegos said. The storyline was fun and well executed, you had some really nice pacing, and the sets were great. You seem to have a solid grasp on those aspects of brickfilming. The only thing you need any work on is the technical side of animating. But I'm sure you'll become an expert with some practice. I can't wait to see what's next from you. If only I could use that time machine to see your future films mini/wink.

The animation was quite good, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I really liked all the scenes you had and also how well the music fit with it.  Good job!

What they all said, great job.

Really good.  I loved the sets.  I didn't get to hear it but I'll be able to listen tonight.  I loved the "Magic Portal" looking time machine and the in-camera man's regeneration effect.  In the original movie I always liked the scene where the mannequin's fashions changed.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Most awesome lego movie in the world.I love the filming and the buildings are very realistic. The animation is amazing and i loved the portal.

Real Love is Sacrifice, a choice to Love others more then yourself and to put their needs before yours.

This is probably my favorite "non-talkie" brickfilm... And, maybe there's a little nostalgia for using "Also Sprach Zarathustra," which was also Ric Flair's theme. mini/lol

Great film, keep making more! mini/smile

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Zarathrusta is not only Ric Flair's theme, but it's the theme song to 2001: A Space Odyssey.  Alex North actually wrote an entire score with his own, powerful opening theme in the same key as Strauss, but Director Kubrick ended up rejecting everything in favor of classical music.  After seeing it again, I love this BrickFIlm even more!  I loved the sets, especially the future one.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Yeah, I knew it was a sci-fi movie theme too, but, I couldn't remember the name of that film when I posted... 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of my favorite motion pictures. mini/smile Just as this is one of my favorite brickfilms.

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

I love the film it inspires me to make more.

Real Love is Sacrifice, a choice to Love others more then yourself and to put their needs before yours.

Wow! This is pretty good for a start! Despite the relatively slow animation and camera bumps, I really enjoyed the story and the historical events! Just add more audio to things, like some walking sounds.

Keep doin' whatcha doin!  mini/wink

backyardlegos wrote:

it seemed like your camera may have been on auto focus, which is a cardinal sin in stop motion.

I am guilty of that up until after How to Not Rob a Bank.
If you just absolutely CONNOT set your camera to manual like mine was, there are some things you can do to fix the focus change some, such as putting on object where you want to focus to be let it focus then remove the object in question before you snap the picture.

It also would be good to better practice easing in and out.  Make sure almost every movement starts with as tiny a move as you can muster, then move it a little bit more in the net frame, and keep going like that for a little while until it's actually going a considerable distance each frame, then you'll want to ease it off gradually until you complete the movement with one last tiny nudge.

Despite some lacking technical aspects, however, this film had some very remarkable sets, the like of which I would very much like to see more in brickfilming.
So please do continue and make some more films.