Topic: Filming AFTER you have the audio?

I honestly wasn't sure if this went in audio, or production since its doing both.

Anyway, I heard and always have, but filming after you have the voice acting and audio etc. 

So it would be nice if these were answered.

1. Why is this better for one?

2. Do most people do it?

3. Is it easy to do or hard as it seems?

4. Is there a video showing how to do this right?

5. What benefits are of this?

6. A good software for this?

I honestly did my best to avoid this in films, but I figured I want to improve and usually my audio seems to just never be right. I would love to have these answered since I generally thought all this, I film at 15fps and did the audio after and matched it with the film.

Re: Filming AFTER you have the audio?

I'll answer some of this questions with how I feel it, meaning I might be totally wrong.

1. I find this better as you can sync your animation to your audio. To me, this makes animating dialogue a lot easier, as you have the audio and can use it to move your characters after it. Like, if you have a line with someone shouting, it is easier to animate the shout after it is recorded. I think I tried it once with recording audio after. My fig slightly moved his arms when he was shouting! mini/bigsmile
2. I think a lot of people do it, but I know some that doesn't. I think ANP records audio after? mini/tongue
3. I find this easier...
4. I haven't seen one
5. Syncing your movements to the audio you have recorded.
6. I think you can insert an audio file into Dragonframe, or so I heard, so you can better match the sound to animation. I just record my audio in Audacity, and then insert it into Sony Vegas Pro and then sync up audio and animation and continue shooting...

I hope these answers wasn't just complete rubbish mini/bigsmile

I need a new name! HELP

They were not thank you for responding, Hopefully other people will share there thoughts too.

Recording audio first is the accepted method in traditional animation studios. Animation is such a labour-intensive activity that studio execs want to see everything planned out in detail before animation starts. Making mistakes during production can be a very costly business. Plus, as Mjolnir points out, it's really the only sensible way to sync dialogue with action.

I want to try it but i dont really know how to go about it. I cant see myself being able to animate around audio.

I feel that this method works better for longer brickfilms (Or at least those with more lines), but recording after might be working for shorter ones with one or two lines, as this is easier to animate before recording.

I need a new name! HELP

Well mostly I want to do this, to make the character move during dialog, I rather it not be swinging arms around. But as always I must practice some more. No biggie.

It's a lot of work to reap the benefit of recording voices before you animate. In most cases recording voices before animation is essential because you need the exact lines for mouth animations; that's the biggest reason professional studios do it this way. However, LEGO minifigs don't have moving mouths, so this reason does not exist, so why do it? It comes down to final production value. In most of the very best brickfilms, you'll notice that animation will match up with the subtle inflections in the actors voice, which in turn makes the whole thing much more believable; the view is more likely to be really engaged in the film. You also have more control over the animation than an actors voice, so it's easier to plan out the animation than try to match a voice (although there are ways of cheating at this). In my opinion it's important to make sure all other aspects of production are up to a really good quality your happy with before you worry about syncing audio really precisely. For the most part it has to be done manually, because most programs are designed to sync mouth animations, not really the rest of it; these programs also tend to be quite expensive, not really easily accessible to the average brickfilmer. How I have done it in the past and plan on doing it for the nine minutes I have of audio for the film I'm working on is this: Based on how long the clip is, calculate the total number of frames for which the character will be talking. Then listening to the clip, decide which inflections I want to emphasis, and what type of movement to use, making sure I keep it varied. I then figure out how fast I want the movement to be, and from that how many frames it should take from the start to the end of the movement. I then calculate the number of none moving frames in between each movement, and compile an ordered list of movements and gaps from which I animate. It would look like this: 10 frames, arm up 7 frames, arm down 6 frames, 15 frames, turn head right slightly 4 frames, 8 frames, turn head straight 4 frames, 14 frames. I hope that wasn't to hard to understand. mini/smile

I always film before getting my voices. This is simply because I want to have the fastest turnover rate as far as getting my videos out on the internet. I also find this to just work better for me. It really depends on what you are trying to do. Usually I send out my lines to the voice actors and have time while I'm waiting for them that I can utilize by starting to film. If the film is going to have mouth animation (like my Doctor Who video), I film the shots and then once I have the voice acting I lip-sync. I don't think my videos have suffered at all from filming first. With LEGO, it's not that hard to make the arm movements and things match whatever is being said. If you have your script, just estimate what kind of arm movements and head turns would look good. If you want to see examples of this in action, just watch any of my videos with voice acting (I'm pretty sure I did them all first). Cause I filmed it before I added the voice acting.

Thank you

Some animators say its easier, and probably more efficient to record the lines before animation, this shows that you know a rough estimate of how many frames you need. So most people would animate along with the audio, and they can also add in extra movements to the character, now that they know what sort of style or mood he/she is talking in.

When I go to animate a dialogue scene, I usually animate a lot of different variations of hand gestures, movements, tilts, head turns, body changes, etc. Then, when I go to add voice acting, I simply sync the various types of movements to wherever they are needed best in the voice acting. Also, if you film a series of movements you can try to reverse the shot and you'll get a slightly different combo.

silents429 wrote:

1. Why is this better for one?

2. Do most people do it?

3. Is it easy to do or hard as it seems?

4. Is there a video showing how to do this right?

5. What benefits are of this?

6. A good software for this?

1) IT's better because you can sync the animation w/ the audio, the reverse being much more difficult.
2) In traditional animation, almost always.  I think here, too.
3) It's not hard, but like all skills, is easier w/ pracctice.
4) Someone else has that answer.
5) See #1.
6) I use Vegas Studio by Sony.  It is great for this because if you're animation is not lining up properly, frames can be adjusted in many ways.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I am one of the people who has done both.

I have extensive experience in post voicing.
How to Not Rob a Bank, Pirates Rule!, Mailbox of Doom!, and many other films of mine were done like that.
The advantage is if you want to change something right on the spot, you can just animate it differently to have that line you've thought up.

I got to be very good at timing lines as so they would fit what I wanted to record later, and I could remember the plots of entire films without scripts.
The disadvantage is that post voicing takes much more time, because you have to make sure it fits correctly, it's kinda hard.

And ever since Sharks and Clowns, I've been actually scripting my films and voicing beforehand.  I've found that this is actually faster, and I can animate the movements nicely to fit the words.

Still, both work.

For I Am The Night, I'm actually doing a mix of the two.  I'm trying to keep it mostly per-production voicing though.

Thank yall for these responses. The tutorial on this on brickfilms.com helped out with this too being something
[ fps x time = frames ]  which helped more then i thought it would. mini/smile

Squid, I've gotten very good with the timing, and knowing how much animation is rquired to speak... and as I animate, I'm hearing the syllable being spoken at the time.  And by the time I'm animating, I have every word memorized.  Most of episode 1 of my series was done in "reverse", with the dialogue recorded afterwards, and even then I used a temp dialogue track (the episode with the alt dialogue is on HOLDING OUR OWN THE COMPLETE FIRST EPISODE DVD, which can be ordered from me), but having used both methods I can say that it's MUCH EASIER to record dialogue first and animate after, unless it's a story light on dialogue.

Alright. I tried so many times. To do this. All ends with utter failure and me more frustrated.

I understand the need for this when it involves characters talking, but it is far from needed in order to look good, I was told to plan out audio first by many, and almost everyone. I did that last night, I was getting utterly frustrated trying to think about matching my animation to the audio, and while this is easily laughable from the perspective of some of you who are good at this, this has to be the worst thing i have ever had to do.

At this point I refuse to do audio before animation, as I can't honestly tell the difference in a lot of animations that do both, and since its only useful during talking, anything else can easily be done. At least for me.

This is a less painstaking process if I do animation before the audio. And I have found doing it the way I have always to feel right to me.

For those who can do the audio layout first and match it with your animation, kudos to you, but I want nothing to do with it. consider this the only thing I will never do in my animations again.  mini/madhead

I'm going to say, do what you feel comfortable with.

I record audio after filming too. I don't know which one is the better way.

Again, filming audio 1st is the normal way to do things, and I have had no experience with animating with Lego 1 yr ago.  I have had experience w/ traditional animation, even having one of my hand-animated cartoons screened at a state film festival.  I just adapted the audio first technique to my novice brickfilming.  But if you are more adept filming the animation first and matching the audio to that, more power to you!  You're charting your own path and getting results!

Last edited by HoldingOurOwn (March 9, 2013 (08:55am))