Topic: INSIDE LOOK at 2013 Lego releases of the future

Okay, I get inside information on retail-level (non-specialty) Lego sets before they are released, and have just seen the book featuring the entire 2013 line.  In the near future, I'll be posting images of upcoming sets.  Some of the images I've seen are confidential, and I will not post them out of respect to the Lego Group (I'll type TLG for that from here on).  But some sets yet to be released are non-classified, and I'll give people a glimpse of those.  Here are a few observations on future Lego sets, from various series.  I'll present these in no particular order, but I'll start with my absolute favorite lego series first: LEGO FRIENDS

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

F
R
O
M

H
E
R
E

O
N

DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER UNLESS YOU WANT TO MAKE YOUSELF IMPATIENT FOR ANYTHING THAT FOLLOWS!

---

LEGO FRIENDS

Friends introduces new mini-doll characters, and finally, boys (Andrew, Matthew).  Shop owners are extra characters.  so is a teacher, Ms. Stevens.  We learn that the girls are in high school.  Animals are prominent, reinforcing a nurturing theme.

Animal mini package assortments 2 & 3  (May & Oct, respectively)

Series 2 features a hedgehog, poodle, & bunny.  Poodle has medium blue 4x4 round plates and other rare parts in this color.  Bows' colors are recycled colors from series 1.

Series 3 features a fawn, parrot & puppy.  Fawn features a novelty: dark purple cherry piece (I think officially called "Wild Berry" by TLG).  Parrot has 4x4 round bricks!  Images I saw for srs 3 are confidential & are shown with sketchy preliminary art.

August 2013:

Andrea's Bedroom.  Lots of accessrories in medium azure.  Buy quickly.  Andrea's Bunny House was released August Last year and was pulled by January.

Olivia's beach buggy.   Deep purple.  Olivia spends a lot of time on the beach.

Emma's Sports car.  Now she can drag race illegally with Stephanie.

Downtown bakery.  A corner shop (Like Grand Emporium is).  Lots of accessories!  New chaacter: Danielle (Brunette)

Heartlake High.  Woah!  An entire building made from blonde-wig-yellow bricks!  Features the male character Matthew, Stephanie, and Ms. Stevens.  The fact that they're just learning to identify the parts of the owl's body in high school is a testiment to the deterioration of the public school system.

Dolphin Cruiser, 612 pieces.  Awesome HUGE yacht.  Accessorized to the max!  Includes a boy, Andrew.  Also has a girl, Maya (new), and Mia.  This set comes with 2 differently colored dolphins, and is such a luxurious boat that non-friends fans may buy this anyway.

Advent calendar.  New character: Lily (black hair).

WON'T BE AROUND FOR LONG... GET WHILE THEY'RE AVAILABLE:  Mia's Bedroom & Stephanie's Cool Convertible.

TLG is not saying this to consumers, but there will be 2 Lgeo Friends DVDs and a Lego Friends "club" magazine.

--- 

CITY

The standout set is the Grand Prix truck, with a green scheme, available in August.  Lots of planes & cargo vehicles, and Coast Guard come out in the fall.  I'm partial to the Coast Guard sets.

Mining sets will be eliminated by the end of the spring.

---

SUPER HEROES

3 Iron man & 3 superman kits will be released.  91-418 pcs.  No further information is provided.  No images are provided.

---

MYSTERY MINIFIGURES

Series 10 features a gold minifigure.  Only 5000 produced.  No word if these 5000 have their own bump codes, or what he looks like.  I assume it's a male, since MMFs are disproportionately (and unfairly) male-dominated.

---

CASTLE

Castle is back, with 5 sets.  Tower raid looks cool.  Of course it comes with a princess who is imprisoned and  must be rescued, since girls are helpless and need a guy's help for everything.  A new dragon mold has been designed for this series.  A prominent character is the White King.  One set features a carraige, one a tower under seige by a red dragon, and one is a gray castle.

---

CREATOR

Treehouse, 356 pcs, Aviation Adventures, Family house (756 pcs).  Family house is an awesome modern beach-style home.  White with hodgepodge of red shades roof.  Recommended.  This is the first Creator set to include a female minifigure.  Aviation adventures is also very cool, with a vintage jet as the primary build, and features the same blonde/republic blue/regular blue color scheme seen in Heartlake High (See friends)

Apple Tree house will be discontinued at the end of spring.

---

GALAXY SQUAD

4 new sets, one (Galactic Titan) over 1000 pcs!  only one under 400 pcs.  The 1000+ pc set is stellar!  All four of these are pleasing visually, and appear to have lots of special features built in.  New sets for Fall: Crater Creeper, Eradicator Mech (looks like it may tansform into a jet), Hive Crawler, Galactic Titan.

---

LONE RANGER

April

I thought this was a joke going around the forum.  But it's for real.  It's also a Disney movie for 2013.  Now I get it.  There is a nice republic green train set, a mine set, a set with teepee of what appears to be a cloth or vinyl part, and a stagecoach set.

Standout set: Colby City Showdown

---

STAR WARS

March: 3 new planets: Kamino, Coruscant & Asteroid Field (Ok, last one not a planet, but edgy design on part of TLG)

August planets: Hoth, Endor & Alderaan

Also in August:
     Tank Droid
     Mandalorian Speeder
     Spider Droid w/ Dwarf Spider Droid
     Geonosis Duel w/ Count Dooku, Yoda, Poggle the Lesser. 
     Jek-14's Starfighter
     AT-TE (ep II)
     return of the republic Gunship (1175 pcs)
     Jabba's Sail Barge.... With.... MAX REBO!!!!!!! (and Ree-Yees, a Weequay warrior, Leia, and Jabba, of course.)  The Gunship is much cooler than the clone wars version from a few years ago because it doesn't have minifigures with the "cartoony" eyes.  Gunship features Anakin, The Cute ep 2 Padme, Obi Wan Kenobi, clones & Separatist droids.

Recommended: Republic Gunship & Jabba's Sail Barge.  I love the fact that the last year or so are ep II and Ep 6 heavy in the Star wars models.  My favorite is ep 5, followed by 2, but I've been getting the ep 6 sets a lot, trying to collect all the sets from Return of the Jedi.

---

HOBBIT / LOTR

So many cool sets, but I recommend THE COUNCIL OF ELROND.  And every other set.
One of the sets features a whopping NINE minifigues!  These sets really have to be seen to appreciate.

---

MONSTER FIGHTERS

Lego will cease shipping all monster fighter sets by the end of the spring.  Buy them now if you are a materialistic fan.

---

CHIMA

A can not care less about Chima.

---

ACTION FIGURE (hero factory types)

Chima characters (August).  TLG is really has a lot invested in these things.  They even have a #$%^& LEGO GAME on the way!!!!!

Hero factory: Something about brain attacks.  August sees FROST BEAST, with a color that is one of my favorites, and extremely are, TEAL!  Goes well with white.  Stormer is a complimentary figure with teal/white, but teal where Frost Beast is white and vice versa.

August: Jet Rocka.  I'm not into hero fatory, but fans will surely love this one!

---

Well, I haven't gotten too descriptive in some of these, but lmk if you have qs.  I'll also post some images of the non-classified sets on Youtube, & let you know when I do mini/smile

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Re: INSIDE LOOK at 2013 Lego releases of the future

Lone Ranger sets look exactly like the Wild West sets that were on the market like a decade ago. Definitely getting those (couldn't care less about Lone Ranger though).

I used to watch the Lone Ranger on TV.  The Colby City set has a bunch of "republic Green" bricks.

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Emma's Sports car.  Now she can drag race illegally with Stephanie.

Not sure the designers originally had this in mind, but whatever floats your boat, I suppose. mini/tongue

CITY

The standout set is the Grand Prix truck, with a green scheme, available in August.  Lots of planes & cargo vehicles, and Coast Guard come out in the fall.  I'm partial to the Coast Guard sets.

The City lineup is pretty bland and medicocre.  I was quite excited when they released the SWAT/Elite Police sets this January, but now there's just more run-of-the-mill vehicles (what about buildings?  This is a CITY, after all...)  And that new cockpit is a travesty of a LEGO brick.

CASTLE

Castle is back, with 5 sets.  Tower raid looks cool.  Of course it comes with a princess who is imprisoned and  must be rescued, since girls are helpless and need a guy's help for everything.  A new dragon mold has been designed for this series.  A prominent character is the White King.  One set features a carraige, one a tower under seige by a red dragon, and one is a gray castle.

I'm not too taken in with this new theme.  It looks like a bad mash-up of Knight's Kingdom II and Castle.  And as for the colour-schemes, they're just disappointing.  We've been treated to dark browns and greys, new colours like Olive Green, and now we're given... basic red and blue?  Really, LEGO, is that the best you could do?  The sets remind me of DUPLO.  The castle design is basic and blocky, with nary a cheese slope in sight.  I realize that many want the old Castle theme back, but to me this falls awkwardly between "too different to be a re-release" and "not different enough to be original".

Incidentally, who says the princess is being rescued?  What's stopping someone from having her rescuing the knight?  That's what I like about LEGO, you always have the option to build your own models and create your own stories.

CREATOR

Treehouse, 356 pcs, Aviation Adventures, Family house (756 pcs).  Family house is an awesome modern beach-style home.  White with hodgepodge of red shades roof.  Recommended.  This is the first Creator set to include a female minifigure.  Aviation adventures is also very cool, with a vintage jet as the primary build, and features the same blonde/republic blue/regular blue color scheme seen in Heartlake High (See friends)

Apple Tree house will be discontinued at the end of spring.

These look good, I like the Family House.

GALAXY SQUAD

4 new sets, one (Galactic Titan) over 1000 pcs!  only one under 400 pcs.  The 1000+ pc set is stellar!  All four of these are pleasing visually, and appear to have lots of special features built in.  New sets for Fall: Crater Creeper, Eradicator Mech (looks like it may tansform into a jet), Hive Crawler, Galactic Titan.

I'm surprised there are going to be more sets, I thought this was going to be a one-wave theme.  I really like the look of these, but I doubt they'll be sold in the UK..

LONE RANGER

April

I thought this was a joke going around the forum.  But it's for real.  It's also a Disney movie for 2013.  Now I get it.  There is a nice republic green train set, a mine set, a set with teepee of what appears to be a cloth or vinyl part, and a stagecoach set.

Not being much of a fan of Westerns, I'm not particularly interested.  Still, looks like it may have some interesting parts.  Not sold on the new revolver and hatchet design though.

STAR WARS

March: 3 new planets: Kamino, Coruscant & Asteroid Field (Ok, last one not a planet, but edgy design on part of TLG)

August planets: Hoth, Endor & Alderaan

Also in August:
     Tank Droid
     Mandalorian Speeder
     Spider Droid w/ Dwarf Spider Droid
     Geonosis Duel w/ Count Dooku, Yoda, Poggle the Lesser. 
     Jek-14's Starfighter
     AT-TE (ep II)
     return of the republic Gunship (1175 pcs)
     Jabba's Sail Barge.... With.... MAX REBO!!!!!!! (and Ree-Yees, a Weequay warrior, Leia, and Jabba, of course.)  The Gunship is much cooler than the clone wars version from a few years ago because it doesn't have minifigures with the "cartoony" eyes.  Gunship features Anakin, The Cute ep 2 Padme, Obi Wan Kenobi, clones & Separatist droids.

Recommended: Republic Gunship & Jabba's Sail Barge.  I love the fact that the last year or so are ep II and Ep 6 heavy in the Star wars models.  My favorite is ep 5, followed by 2, but I've been getting the ep 6 sets a lot, trying to collect all the sets from Return of the Jedi.

These sets really stand out to me.  Firstly, Jek-14's Starfighter. We're getting a TRANSPARENT ARM.  One step closer to finally getting a transparent minifig!  And a blue stormtrooper.  My initial reaction was "eh?" but I suppose we'll find out more.

And, at last, Jango Fett is back!  Along with Count Dooku and Episode II Yoda.  I don't like his olive green head, though, I think the sand green was more movie-accurate.  And I don't get why Jango Fett is the santa in the Advent Calendar--COunt Dooku would have made more sense in my opinion.

Finally, Clone Wars Darth Maul's legs feature a new hip brick that will no doubt skyrocket in popularity among builders.  Say what you will about the resurrection of Darth Maul, but you have to admit we're getting some ridiculously awesome bricks out of the deal.

Incidentally, why does everyone makes such a big deal of Max Rebo?  He barely makes an appearance, and looks like a nylon puppet in the film.  And with his sky-blue elephant appearance, he doesn't really fit in with the rest of the SW aliens.

HOBBIT / LOTR

So many cool sets, but I recommend THE COUNCIL OF ELROND.  And every other set.
One of the sets features a whopping NINE minifigues!  These sets really have to be seen to appreciate.

mini/jaw mini/dizzy Some of these sets are... incredible.

CHIMA

A can not care less about Chima.

Not exactly what I'd call comprehensive coverage, but I can't blame you.  Can't understand why LEGO is investing so much into this theme.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Quote: Incidentally, who says the princess is being rescued?  What's stopping someone from having her rescuing the knight?  That's what I like about LEGO, you always have the option to build your own models and create your own stories.

Reply:
The fact that she's imprisoned on the box art was the reason I said that!
mini/smile

QUOTE:
Incidentally, why does everyone makes such a big deal of Max Rebo?  He barely makes an appearance, and looks like a nylon puppet in the film.  And with his sky-blue elephant appearance, he doesn't really fit in with the rest of the SW aliens.

Reply:
I like Max Rebo because I play keyboards/ Synthesizers. mini/smile

Out of all the sets, THIS is the one that really stood out for me:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8392/8461995257_79e8bee173_z.jpg
I like it that there is an Umbar pirate in the set. Nice to see that LEGO is making two sets based on extended edition scenes (black ships and mouth of sauron).

Last edited by Troodon (March 1, 2013 (05:14pm))

The Lord of the Rings is truly a standout series this year.  And the Lego Friends.

Lol, you are the onyl person I know, male or female, who actually likes those mini/cat
Although if you like them, good for you. I just don't like them because the designs are too simple and I don't like the new minifig designs, but if you can make something good out of it then that's good.

The owner of the toy store where I work decided last year that he won't carry Friends.  But we get muliple requests daily for them.  But check out the cruise boat that will be released this fall.  You may like that.

Woo! I'm stoked about most of these sets!! Especially the Creator sets. I wasn't always a fan of that line of sets, but a LEGO Treehouse? Yes, please! Also really excited about the Council of Elrond set, but I figure it's probably gonna be a pain to put together (I can infer from the number of minifigures; they probably wouldn't put that many in one set if it's a small set).

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Council looks stellar!  Is treehouse a fall release?  I have to check.  My mind's in a blender right now.  I an't remember if it's been released.  The new modular bldg is the PALACE THEATRE.  REcommended.  10x better than Town Hall.

Mickey wrote:

Woo! I'm stoked about most of these sets!! Especially the Creator sets. I wasn't always a fan of that line of sets, but a LEGO Treehouse? Yes, please! Also really excited about the Council of Elrond set, but I figure it's probably gonna be a pain to put together (I can infer from the number of minifigures; they probably wouldn't put that many in one set if it's a small set).

Actually, the council doesn't look wonderful. But hey, a new leaf color!
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSW7naoLNinm3pB2g7_q4TyjJ5zhPSAHJx9sVYPIq-fTadNwhnLpQ
Why is Gimli getting thrown anyway?

http://cdn.thebrickblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/10232-LEGO-Palace-Cinema.jpg
oh that's lovely.
It's a bit too much 20's glam for me, but it really is a lovely building.

What's wrong with the 20's? mini/tongue

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Troodon wrote:

Why is Gimli getting thrown anyway?

I think it's supposed to be when Gimli tries to destroy the ring with his axe.

Nothing wrong w/ the 20s, but each has their own architecturial tastes.

Oh, by the way, in the original post, I said in the Hero Fatory section that teal is an ARE color.  I meant to say RARE.  My older son has autism, and he pulled a few keys off my laptop, so they don't always come out right when I press them.  The letters ae C, R, V, and Z.  If one of those are eve missing from a post, please forgive it.

I've also seen the inside of the Palace THeatre.  Also awesome.

The Palace Theater set is definitely one of my favorites for this year.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

What's wrong with the 20's? mini/tongue

Lol nothing is wrong with the 20's, it's not my favorite though. Actually that's not true. It's a beautiful building but it's a tad over-the-top

I Love those movie posters on the Theatre!

Minnie figure.  I get it.