Topic: Picnic (A LEGO Valentine)

Directory Link

Picnic (A LEGO Valentine)

YouTube

Love: it always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (see 1 Corinthians 13:7)

Commentary: Just over a year ago today, I released my first Valentine inspired animation called "A Date with Julie". In the months following the release of that video, I began to develop the plot surrounding the characters of the film a bit more. A man from my church had seen the video and told me how he liked it. He then suggested I could have them go on a picnic. From here, the story took shape. I had the outline of Gary and Julie's love story nailed down on paper quite awhile ago, but, due to limited resources, I wasn't able to make this video into a reality until recently. I figured it would be appropriate to make the video in time for this year's Valentine's Day. Remember, this is what happens before my first film, but there is still more to Gary and Julie's story. Perhaps it will get told in the near future.

Re: Picnic (A LEGO Valentine)

I replayed the part with the picnic blanket a few dozen times.  The animation there, wow, oh man.

That was really sweet, and a bit sad. But it was really great.

There were a few little things that could have been improved, such as when Gary's car would stop, it didn't look very natural. Although when the car accelerated it looked great. The inside of the car looked really great, you pulled it off really well. Also when the blanket and picnic basket were laid down, the animation was pretty much perfect, it looked awesome. The frisbee throw and motion were a bit fast, but not horrible. The running sequence was nice and smooth, and the rain looked pretty realistic.

This is a great little love story/series, I hope we'll be seeing more of Gary and Julie sometime. mini/smile

oh man I am crying now mini/sad
That was so magnificently impeccable I don't even

You definitely made the car scene work well, though. Looked awesome.

I didn't really get the ending though, even after rewatching the original Date With Julie. Why is he holding a Bible? I guess I am not a big fan of works with religious themes but if that is what you were going for then you did a great job at that as well. It's not that I didn't like that part, it's just that it seemed kind of out of place in comparison to the rest of the film

Enough about that because really the whole film was superb and magnificent. I'm not going to say what everybody else is going to (about the animation and technicalities) and instead just congratulate you on making a very touching and sweet film. Good work! mini/cat

Loved every millisecond of it! The only thing that stuck out the most was the occasional light flicker, but other than that, awesome job!

Absolutely fantastic from start to finish. You have started a very nice story line here. I look forward to seeing where it go's to from here. 5/5.

Real good job, the picnic blanket animation was cool! The ending seemed to fall right in line with the original Date With Julie video.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

I'm glad I subscribed to you. I don't have very many favourtie Brickfilmers, but you are one of my favourtie.  10/5.

What can I say?

I think my expectations were set a bit too high after reading the other comments, because I'm not quite as impressed as I should be. It was great, absolutely no doubt about that. But for all the build-up, there didn't seem like there was that much pay-off.

Spoiler (click to read)

The two areas that I feel it felt like that were Julie's falling over, and the ending of this short. For the first, I was expecting something a bit more dramatic, like a car accident, for example. And while the "Unknown, but probably deadly illness" card could apply, it felt almost like you didn't know what to do, so you just had her fall over.

For the second, the ending felt cut-off. There was no bedside shot, there was no "Doctor coming out and putting his hand on the guy's shoulder" shot, there was just a flashback. Which would have been great with something else, but just couldn't quite work on it's own.

There were some great animation moments, (Picnic blanket, and the interior car scenes!) and some not so great moments. (Car stopping too quickly.)

And while I REALLY hate to be the one saying this, the inclusion of the Bible felt kinda forced. While it's fantastic that you had it in there, it felt off because there were no biblical elements introduced before this, and then all of a sudden, he is presented as a devout Christian. If he was a believer, then those elements should have been introduced earlier,  and a quick scene of him pulling out/picking up the Bible, (In effect, showing that he trusts in, and fully leans on GOD.) would have been nice. But if this event causes him be become a believer, then a short scene with somebody handing the Bible to him would have been needed.*

And I don't want to be nit-picky, especially since it's a great film, but if I were to pick one technical issue to say something about, it's the music at 1:17, it comes in a bit too suddenly, and is a bit over-powering. Turning it down a bit would help a lot.

I'm not quite sure what I don't like about it, sure it's got a few tiny story nit-picks that I don't like, but I can usually over-look them. Don't know what it is, but the great quality still shines through that, so I guess it doesn't matter.

I'm really sorry if this review disappoints you, and sure hope it doesn't. I still love the series, and the video was good, something just didn't click right. Sorry.

4.35/5

*By all means put Biblical themes in your brickfilms! That's great, and I kinda wish I did it more often. You may just want to work on a good balance and making sure they don't feel forced. And that doesn't mean leave them out, that just means to be sure to integrate them well. And just in case it's not clear enough, having a Bible or Christian themes in a film is always better than not having it. It's only from a strictly neutral filmmaking point of view that I say it was out-of-place and forced.

Edited to clarify meanings, and to add some more thoughts. mini/wink

Last edited by Pritchard Studios (February 14, 2013 (10:57pm))

An overall good Brickfilm, with some great aspects - specifically, the car's inside was pulled off magnificently, and the moving background outside was eye-candy, and just little things like the picnic blanket were great too. I didn't find the plot particularly appealing, it was sweet, but serious romance paired with religion is the type of thing I personally don't enjoy in a brickfilm.

Some little nitpicks of mine were; the walking animation appeared a little unnatural at the very start, but improved later on (in the running scene), the car coming to a stop could have benefited from the inclusion of a bit of compensation since it was previously travelling at a high speed, and the end seemed too soon.

I think the biggest issue I had with Picnic was the inclusion of religion - whilst I understand it's an important aspect of your way of life - it just didn't seem fitting and instead proved to be unnecessary. And to echo what Pritchard said, the placement of the Bible seemed quite forced, but I did like the heart rate effect on top. I gather you wanted to portray that maybe the only thing that could save her was faith (?), but it was too blatant and could have been tied in in a much more universally approachable way.

But my previous two paragraphs aside, it was still enjoyable, and something which you should be very proud of. mini/smile

3.9/5

Very nice mini/smile
I was kinda surprised

Spoiler (click to read)

when she just fell over, it almost felt a little random but also quite realistic; I mean people don't usually fall ill dramatically, so I liked it for that.

overall I really liked the film and the sad ending was definitely sad.

Before I dive into replying to individual people, I want to thank all of you for your kind words and your critiques. I'm very appreciative of both!

I see a lot of comments about the placing of the Bible and the general use of it. I admit that it may not have been the most "subtle" or natural place to use it. However, I never wanted it to be subtle or blend in. The themes and elements of the Julie & Gary series are about true love. Though there may not be any outright statements of faith or "religion" throughout any of the films, Biblical values and beliefs are instilled within the films themselves. When I set out to create this love story, I turned to a rather famous passage from the Bible concerning love (1 Corinthians 13). It speaks of qualities of true love and I tried to place some of these values into the characters. Things like enduring through hard times, purity, and friendship. Many of these things are overlooked in society today. I didn't want these films to be "in your face" religious messages, I wanted them to be a reflection of my beliefs and values based on the Bible. That's my take on the Bible use. I'm not trying to say that it couldn't have been done in a different or better way, I'm just explaining my use.

On the more technical side of things, you all pointed out some of the many things I noticed during the filming. The car stop could have been done a lot better. The last frisbee toss was also a bit rough. I'm glad some of you enjoyed the parallax scrolling effect used in the car shot, I absolutely loved how that turned out. It's also funny that some of you liked how the running shot turned out, because when I first filmed that, I really disliked it. Okay now onto some more personal replies to individuals:

@Carousel - Most of your comments were the things I discussed above, but I'll comment on what you said about the meaning of the video. I really like when a film is somewhat open-ended and open to interpretation. Those films can make people think and are really good at producing discussion. That is the way the first film in the series turned out and the same can be said somewhat for this one. I did not intend for the meaning to be that the only thing that could save her was faith, yet you saw that and I think that's great. I like to hear other's interpretations of my films. When making the film, I was thinking more focused on Gary's life and what a tragedy such as this would do to him. Perhaps having the next film more focused upon Julie would be a good idea. Thanks for your long post and your comments, I really enjoyed reading! mini/smile

@Pritchard - First off, thanks for your really in depth commentary on the film. You probably know by now that I love those. Anyways, regarding Julie's "illness". This is probably one of the most questioned parts of the series, even my family asks me what the deal with it is! Her medical condition is never said or told, even I don't know what it is. I don't want it to be said or known. A car wreck seems a little to cliche in my opinion. But, perhaps the falling could have been done differently or in a better way. I did plan it well in advance however, so it was very intentional not to be something specific. In regards to your comments on the Bible, I'm not disappointed at all by your review. mini/smile I appreciate another Christian's perspective on my implementation of things of this nature. I already addressed a lot of my thoughts on the Bible use above. Having him have a Bible though doesn't make him a "devout" believer though. As I said earlier, my incorporation of Biblical themes/messages were more subtle and I tried to instill the values in the characters. To someone that isn't looking for those things though, the Bible use may be very abrupt, so I agree that perhaps building up to its use would have been a bit better.

@Topit - Thanks for your kind words! My intention with the Bible was to show what Gary turned to in this time of tragedy. However, because of the way I did it, questions keep getting asked about why the Bible. I want questions to be raised by the things I put forth in these videos so I'm glad this has happened. You may already have your answer to your question by my previous comments, but I used the Bible because Gary turns to God at a time of great tragedy. Some people might reject or even blame God at a moment  like this. When hard times come in my life, I usually turn to God so this is a way of showing that.

Okay, I'll for now. I'm not trying to start an arguement or anything like that, so please don't take my comments as such. Questions were asked, so I'm answering them. mini/smile If you wish to discuss or "argue" any specific things concerning "religion" or faith, I'd be glad to talk, but I'd suggest we do it via e-mail or PM, as the forum probably isn't the best environment for it. Still, I felt that these questions should be answered here as they were asked several times in the thread.

Thanks for once again for all the comments. This film has been a very rewarding project for me. I've already been editing a Behind-the-Scenes video that has a lot of insight into how I make my films, so that should be coming soon I hope.

I'm really glad you added the Bible in the end. To me its like he is looking to God's word for comfort.

It's a really decent brickfilm. There are some flaws but I'm not gonna mention them again cause others already did. The Bible at the end (to me it seems) is a very natural thing to add, people (even the ones who don't really believe in God) end up with a Bible in their hands when their relatives or close friends are in a life or death situation. Old people also tend to convert to religion from atheism very often as they realize the inevitable is coming and it's better to choose faith over nothing.

The highlight for me was the interior car shots. I love the way you pulled them off. Were those arch pieces you used to help round off the windows?

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

I'm not Christian or anything, yet it didn't feel forced, to me, the inclusion of the bible. It felt like a natural thing to do in that situation. Though, I agree, just a bit of rain doesn't look like it would cause death.

Ok, this probably won't be a big review because others have already mentioned a lot of the things I would. Technically, it was all pretty good. Most of the lighting, image quality, and sets particularly where really nice as usual. Mostly, I can overlook everything that was subpar to the rest of the film very easily. I do have to say, them in the car was nice. Yes, I did notice the background, and thought it was done very well.

The animation sort of fluctuated in quality, but was mostly quite nice. Most of the post effects where done decently, though I have to say, and don't take this to personal rain is hard to do, but it looked pretty sorry. It looked basically like a layer of particle effects slapped over the footage. Again, rain is hard to do, whether in real life or in post, so I don't really mind, just thought I'd let you know what I think.

So yeah... that is sort of my broad feedback on the technical qualities.

The story. To be honest, your stories are the reason I like your stuff so much. Not many brickfilmers take on more serious, real life sort of stuff like you do (well... plenty "try", but that usually means a zombie apocalypse or something, and yeah... I think you get my point...). What is nice, is that you actually succeed for the most part.

As for this specific video, no, its story wasn't super original, but again, just that fact that your telling it anyway in a sweet way is what I like. I don't see anyone else around here doing that... I like this series.

Regarding the most discussed point, the Bible, I have to say I didn't mind it at all. I can think of plenty of ways that it could be way more forced and in-your-face. A six second shot of it in the background doesn't constitute 'forced' to me anyway... I personally liked it, or at least didn't mind it. I appreciate your willingness to not hide your beliefs. You're actually very inspirational to me in that regard. Having a fellow brickfilmer like you on here is nice. mini/smile

Now for the point I've been trying to get to... please, PLEASE be more careful in executing the ending to your films! What I mean is that here we are, just having gone though this sobering film, when... BOOM, suddenly we are assaulted by some normal credits accompanied by some sort of cheerful easy-listening type music, ended off with a rather garish looking slide advertising merchandise, songs, and some other videos, some of which have nothing to do with the mood of the film. Confusion ensued. Heart monitor was still there though. More confusion.
Anyway, maybe I'm taking a way to 'artsy' stance with the whole mood thing. Hehe, probably comes from me liking to sit through the credits on movies pondering what I just watched (ever sat through the extended Return of the King credits? Yeah, well I do, nearly twenty minutes of them... mini/smile ) And yes, I know this is YouTube we are talking about here, and that I'm the only one who has mentioned this. I just think it could be handled much more gracefully. Instead of basically chopping the music off, fade it out more. Leave it black a tiny bit longer. Choose correct music (by all means, if you have a really good reason for choosing that music, tell me. I would like to know). Music is like 70% of the experience after all. Designs the credits slide better possibly, and by all means, improve the ending slide. I'm not saying you have to remove everything and not advertise. But you can definitely make it look nicer. It is way to visually busy and stuff right now. If there was anything about the film that was forced, it was that last slide.

Well, that turned into a book. Sorry about that. Hope I didn't seem to negative. In all honesty, I did really like it. I just think there is stuff you could work on. And if I'm way off on some of the stuff tell me, though a lot of stuff like this does condense down to personal opinion.

@Walter - Thanks! That was one of my favorite parts, and the first scene that I filmed. Yes, those are black archway pieces! mini/smile

@MPFist0 - Who says she died? In fact, if you watch the video that takes place after this, "A Date with Julie", you'll see that she is in fact alive. mini/smile Whatever Julie's medical condition is, it was brought about by her running hard in the rain. Perhaps she has lung or heart issues that make doing these things not as easy or perhaps even risky? Something like sprinting in the rain for a distance could be really bad depending on underlying issues that she might have. Thanks for you comments by the way, I really like to get the perspective of those who aren't Christians! So thanks for telling me what you thought. mini/smile  Glad that you were able to enjoy the film.

@AnW - Oooo long post! I love these. Thanks for your comments, AnW. I really like to hear in-depth commentary and critique on my films, so thank you so much! I won't really comment further on the technical aspects mentioned first or the Bible, as I've already said most of what can be said regarding those issues. You bring up an interesting point about the credits however. I heartily agree with you and wish I had have thought about that before releasing the film. Definitely something to consider next time I'm making a more serious film. See, critique is great, because if you weren't willing to be honest about it, I would have probably never noticed that, so thank you. In regards to the music I selected, there was good reason. The song that is in the credits is the same song that you hear at the beginning of the film and while they are in the car, btw. Anyways, I used that music for several reasons. One, I know the artist very personally and he lets me use his music. Two, the original film in the series used one of his songs at the beginning. So, choosing another song by the same artist and music genre was sort of a way of showing Gary's musical tastes and be consistent in that. The song plays at the beginning when he looks at the ring, because it's on in the background on a radio or a sound system. The music plays in the car because they are listening to it on the car's sound system. If it hadn't have been this song, it would have been something else upbeat used in the exact same place. I think the song works well and fit with the series in the way that I said.

I don't have much to say about the advertisement slide at the end. I thought it looked good and provided the information that I wanted in a clear way. It did have a lot of elements on it, but this was even less than I would have preferred. I was wanting to have a subscribe button but opted for leaving it out. I don't find that this is a very relevant issue, as it really doesn't cause someone to want to watch my videos or something directly relating to my video content. It's simply a way of directing people to my other videos and sites. This being said, sure, it probably could have been better designed. But, it came down to the question of how much time was I willing to spend on this end card that only a fraction of viewers would see and care about. Not trying to bash your comments of course, because you are correct that it could have been much better. In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't worth the time and effort. Perhaps one of these days if I have enough time, I'll devote some of it to creating a better version. Thanks for being honest about that though, cause it's good that I get some input and feedback about even that. If you have some suggestions about how to make it more viewer friendly, I'd be happy to hear them. mini/smile

Repelling Spider wrote:

@MPFist0 - Who says she died? In fact, if you watch the video that takes place after this, "A Date with Julie", you'll see that she is in fact alive. mini/smile Whatever Julie's medical condition is, it was brought about by her running hard in the rain. Perhaps she has lung or heart issues that make doing these things not as easy or perhaps even risky? Something like sprinting in the rain for a distance could be really bad depending on underlying issues that she might have. Thanks for you comments by the way, I really like to get the perspective of those who aren't Christians! So thanks for telling me what you thought. mini/smile  Glad that you were able to enjoy the film.

Yeah, I know she isn't dead, I was in a  rush while writing it. What I meant was, it didn't look like it could be anything that serious. I have seen the other parts before.
Btw, I enjoy anything that's well done, and you're a very good filmmaker.

Mod edit: no thanks.