Topic: Lego Abduction

Directory Link

Lego Abduction

YouTube

My first proper brickfilm. I hope you guys enjoy this. I know there is lots of things that need improving but I hope it is still enjoyable.

The greatest of these is Love ... Love never fails.

Re: Lego Abduction

A brickfilm with tiny flaws here and there (like little bumps while moving the camera) but overall it's really good, buddy! It's was gross and funny mini/smile also I didn't like the aliens chaotically reappearing everywhere but please don't take this the wrong way, I enjoyed it a lot, great cinematography, nice lens flares, good animation and pretty nice plot for a short film mini/smile

Wow thanks man, I am really glad you liked it. Yeah small things that could of been prevented but hey, could of been worse. I know what you mean about that but I was going to put an effect on it but didn't want to overdo it on the effects side. Wasn't sure how else I could do it. mini/smile

Very impressive for a first brickfilm!
All of the technical values are well done, and you did a great job.

The main problem is that the film couldn't decide if it was a comedy, or a drama.
It started out as a great drama, but then was then ruined by the ending.

I don't have the time now, but don't worry, I'll explain more this afternoon. mini/wink

(Oh, and the title has already been taken.)

I was gonna say the same thing mini/bigsmile (about the title). Jonathan seems like a cool guy (as much as I know him which is not a lot). I doubt he'll be mad about this mini/wink

Last edited by Leo's World (February 8, 2013 (08:52am))

Hey, Pritchard thanks for the compliments. As far as the plot of it, it was always intentional for it to be a bit of trolol film.  I didn't really want it to develop to much as I didn't want to make anything to long for my first film. But I can see where you are coming from especially if you were looking to get that from this short.

Larry, was that meant to be to me? As my name is Joshua not Jonathan mini/smile lol

I was talking about Jonathan Vaughan aka Nick Durron on youtube mini/smile he has these brickfilm series "Abduction" that's what Pritchard was referring to (when talking about the title).

Oh I didn't see that part sorry, I was reading it on my phone at the time. I hadn't realised that it had been taken. But I doubt it really matters it's a pretty generic title lol.

A very enjoyable film; there were no distracting flaws, the lighting was nice, and I thought that the dramatic build up to a stupidly silly joke at the end was quite funny. You also did a good job converting a LEGO set into a usable set for a brickfilm, that's something that is frequently done very poorly. Overall, I liked it, and am looking forward to see what you come up with in the future. mini/smile

Thanks man, much appreciated mini/smile

OK, I'm back. mini/wink

The build up is excellent, with the possible exception of the crazy dog. But having said that, the dog's antics could be a result of whatever creepy thing is hiding out there. So those are excusable.

There's a slight focus shift around 0:34, that doesn't really serve any purpose. The guys would still have been in focus, and because of it's being at the very end of a shot, it didn't really help any. Trying to keep things in focus is great, but when it's for only a half-second or so, it's better to not change the settings. People will notice a focus shift more than an out-of-focus mini-fig.

The alien appearing was a bit odd. He popped up out of nowhere, with no movement, and no effects. He then vanished and re-appeared closer to the guy, again without moving. I don't know if you where trying to imitate the Weeping Angel attack method, or what, but either way, it just didn't work that well.

LOVE the frozen guy in the air. It's a sweet, simple effect that is executed perfectly.
I felt like the alien speech was underwhelming, and it needed to sound more....Alien. It sounds almost like somebody cracking their knuckles, and that truthfully doesn't make that great of a "speech" type of sound.
There was a tiny bit of camera bumping in the last scene, but it's barely noticeable.

As I said earlier, I don't care for the dramatic build-up to a (IMHO) not funny joke. I'd much rather see the tone stay the same throughout the film, especially considering how well you pulled it off at the beginning.

And don't worry about the title, I was simply commenting on how similar the two films are, and that they have the same tile. I just didn't quite make that clear.

Great job, keep up the good work. mini/yes

Ok, wow I appreciate the long and in depth feedback, where I do agree with some and would disagree with others.
I would of animated the alien appearing and disappearing differently. I had in mind to add an effect original to have the alien appear, but just didn't want to over do it in post. I always wanted there to be a goofy undertone to the film hence the dog. As for the dialect of the aliens, that's the way I had the sound in mind, I don't think that there is any set way for Aliens to speak as there aren't any real evidence of what they should sound like.

Thanks for all the tips, I do agree with most of them, and I am sorry you didn't find it funny. I suppose it's down to a different sense of humour.

Cool Animation, relatively smooth movement and nice artificial lighting effects with the gun. Good Job!