Topic: Police Show Commercial

Directory Link

Police Show Commercial

YouTube
Downloadable version

"Police Show" is a show about police. This is a commercial for "Police Show."

As usual I have put way too much time into constructing sets and characters which appear on screen for only a few seconds. I also spent a lot of time animating background characters in large crowd scenes. I like to tell myself that this makes my animation much more rewatchable as there is more to discover on repeat viewings, but maybe I'm just over-complicating things.

Excited to hear what y'all think!

Re: Police Show Commercial

All of the animation an the detain in this just makes me feel like my films are lacking.
This is really great, and I love it.

So many random fun characters, all doing ridiculous stuff which just doesn't make any sense.
It's just like how it is in my head.

Squid wrote:

So many random fun characters, all doing ridiculous stuff which just doesn't make any sense.
It's just like how it is in my head.

Thanks! mini/bigsmile  I am particularly proud of the lady doing a backwards crab walk around 0:50

"My name is K-0-P-3-R.  I am skilled in over six million forms of torture." mini/lol

Anyway, great film.  Lots of very detailed sets, and the animation was superb, with great moments like the smashing window, and the most creative use of those Batman batarang bricks (not that I've really seen any other uses of that brick, but that's beside the point).  The only thing that I disliked was that the "Police Show! Police Show!" song got somewhat annoying after a while, but I enjoyed everything else. 

I was slightly disappointed that this was only about two minutes long, but I definitely think that detailed sets and background animation give this film a massive improvement, really makes it stand out, and adds a lot of  "re-watch quality".  It certainly makes up for the short length. mini/smile

Am I right in guessing Rob-O-Phelia and K0P3R will be teaming up at some point in the future?

Oh yes, and how did you animate the window smash?  Were there any special techniques you used, or was it just a matter of using a lot of rigs?

Random coincidence: When I watched this film, the youtube banner advertisement on the bottom of the video screen (the one that always pops up ten seconds after you've started the clip) had an ad that said "avoid paying green taxes!" and was something about renewable energy.  It occurred to me that this might actually secretly be an ad from Orange in order to dissuade viewers from donating money to the Green cause while the Orange-Green war rages on... mini/tongue  Only joking, of course, but I thought it was a funny coincidence. mini/XD

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (January 26, 2013 (04:18pm))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

This blew me away, just how much detail you manage to get into this. Animating all the crowds so flawlessly is just so impressive. I loved the way the minifigures were transformed into blue as well that looked really smooth. My only minor criticism is the graphics for the Police Show could of been better, however this may be minor but as a Graphic Designer I notice this kind of things lol mini/smile but other than that I am really impressed with your work.

The greatest of these is Love ... Love never fails.

Well worth the wait, Dave! I must agree with everyone here, I liked how detailed everything was. Even though the film itself was about 1 minute and 45 seconds long (excluding the credits and the part after the video). Really great work!

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

FlyingMinifig wrote:

"My name is K-0-P-3-R.  I am skilled in over six million forms of torture." mini/lol
Am I right in guessing Rob-O-Phelia and K0P3R will be teaming up at some point in the future?

Well, within the NNNverse, K0P-3R is a character in a fictional show while ROBOphelia is a real-life robot. But the resemblance is intentional and is the beginning of a story arc I have planned spanning many future chapters. Suffice it to say that I hope to one day animate a scene in which ROBOphelia interviews the robot-actor who plays K0P-3R mini/smile Though, at the rate I make these, it might be decades before I get that far along in the story. mini/confused 

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Oh yes, and how did you animate the window smash?  Were there any special techniques you used, or was it just a matter of using a lot of rigs?

I uploaded the raw pictures to flickr so you can see the window break frame by frame. I just used putty to attach the bricks to the building. I try to avoid rigs and masking at all costs. I think the only thing I masked in this animation was a few frames where the robotic horse jumping at K0P-3R.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Random coincidence: When I watched this film, the youtube banner advertisement on the bottom of the video screen (the one that always pops up ten seconds after you've started the clip) had an ad that said "avoid paying green taxes!" and was something about renewable energy.  It occurred to me that this might actually secretly be an ad from Orange in order to dissuade viewers from donating money to the Green cause while the Orange-Green war rages on... mini/tongue  Only joking, of course, but I thought it was a funny coincidence. mini/XD

On YouTube there are no coincidences mini/tongue

JoshWaFX wrote:

This blew me away, just how much detail you manage to get into this. Animating all the crowds so flawlessly is just so impressive. I loved the way the minifigures were transformed into blue as well that looked really smooth. My only minor criticism is the graphics for the Police Show could of been better, however this may be minor but as a Graphic Designer I notice this kind of things lol mini/smile but other than that I am really impressed with your work.

I am definitely a beginner when it comes to motion graphics. I'd love to pay some one to do this for me, but NNN isn't making enough money for that, yet...

That's cool man. If I have time in the future I may be able to help you out. Just let me know.

The greatest of these is Love ... Love never fails.

Gosh, animation at its finest

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

One of the female officers looks remarkable like Agent Astrid Farnsworth from Fringe.

Squid wrote:

One of the female officers looks remarkable like Agent Astrid Farnsworth from Fringe.

I wasn't consciously thinking of her, but I think I was subconsciously influenced mini/smile I haven't seen a lot of Fringe, but I've seen enough to know that Astrid is awesome

That was great!  The attention to detail, the sets, the animation, it was all great.  I especially loved the way you animated K0P3R, that was just astounding.  If I have one gripe, it's the occasional light flicker and the set bumps.  It's a minor complaint espicially considering the sheer size of your sets and how jam-packed with action each shot is.  However, when an entire building moves it's a little distracting.
Nevertheless.  Fantastic work!  Can't wait to see what you have planned for the future!

Walrus wrote:

However, when an entire building moves it's a little distracting.

In my mind i justify that by imagining that the building themselves are alive mini/tongue  But yes, that was a particularly bad set bump. If I was doing this in any sort of professional manner I would have gone back and redone the offending frames. But my motto is to keep moving forward and learn from my mistakes for the next time.

A lot of the set bumps and light flicker happened in the tan office where I was animating with a roof above the characters. That was a mistake. I will need to plan a lot better the next time I have a set with a roof

I loved this. Great work.