Topic: Doctor Who - New Beginnings - 1

Directory Link

Doctor Who - New Beginnings - 1

YouTube

Part 1 of my LEGO Doctor Who series. I worked incredibly hard on this video and I learned so much while making it, but I know there is a lot of room for improvement. If you could give me some helpful feedback on how I can improve that would be fantastic. Thanks. mini/smile

Re: Doctor Who - New Beginnings - 1

"Wait, what? No way, I'm ginger!" mini/lol

I've seen a few Lego Doctor Who animations in my time, but none of them can quite compare to this.

Your animation is good, and while a few shots could you a little more easing-in/out it wasn't that noticeable.
Regarding the voice acting, you're a pretty good voice actor, and The Doctor is done pretty well.
But the alien with the Nute Gunray head could have had a better mic.

Set-wise, the Tardis is incredibly detailed. Everything from the green central column, to the clear SNOT floor is great.
And I'm sure that you had "fun" animating on that. The Alien ship is of about the same quality, but that kinda made the exterior set felt plain and boring in comparison. By the way, the Tardis defense blast was probably one of the weaker effects, but all the others were really good.

IMHO, Abby's name is a little too close to Amy. That would be fine, but since Amy's the second most recent companion at this time, that's probably a bit too similar of a name a bit too soon after she left. But I don't know much about Abby, so I'll save my opinion until the next part. She did manage utter one of the more awkward lines, (Doctor Who?) but generally she seemed OK. And I'm looking forward to seeing her interaction with The Doctor later on.

The intro raises a bunch of questions that I hope will be answered, but the bottom line is that I was very impressed.
Good job. Can't wait for Part 2. (When is that coming by the way?)

Thanks Pritchard.

The second part is over 18 minutes in length, so its been taking a while to make. I think I'm finally nearing the end though. Animation is almost all finished, just been focusing on the editing part lately. Hoping the second part will be out in the next few of months.

Wow, color me impressed. You've obviously put a lot of work into this - and it shows.

Pritchard is right about the need for better easing and I noticed that there were a few shots in the TARDIS that looked a little rushed, as the characters didn't move while speaking. Also, was the overexposed look on the planetside intentional? It was a little off-putting. The voice acting was alright. Mic quality aside, my biggest suggestion would be to put a little more feeling and spark into the Doctor's lines.

That said, I highly enjoyed this. Well done for creating one of the better Doctor Who brickfilms out there.

I was a bit annoyed by the post-production camera movement, and the Doctor having an American accent just felt really off. It probably would have been a good idea to find someone who can pull off an accent.

Nonetheless, I still found the overall execution rather entertaining and relatively well-made. There were some places there the lighting looked really cool, particularly on the alien ship.

The animation and effects were great. The doctor's voice was great but as squid pointed out it doesn't sound like doctor who. The scenes on earth were a bit to bright.

Visually this is all very nice made. Looking forward to see this series evolve.

Jargon wrote:

I noticed that there were a few shots in the TARDIS that looked a little rushed, as the characters didn't move while speaking.

Yeah I know what you mean. The Tardis set was not the easiest thing to animate on. I think I got better by Part 2 though.

Squid wrote:

It probably would have been a good idea to find someone who can pull off an accent.

I thought about it, but a friend of mine actually talked me into voicing the Doctor myself. There are many different versions of The Doctor, and this is my version. When he regenerates just about everything about him changes, why can't his accent?

END films wrote:

The scenes on earth were a bit to bright.

I agree. When editing the video it looked fine to me, but going back and watching it looks horrible. mini/confused

Appreciate the comments guys. mini/smile

Ok I'm going to be brutally honest here. I'm a Lego fan and a Dr Who fan and I have to say

AWESOME !

Nicely done, this is one of my favourite Dr Who Lego films to date. You know your Who stuff and there are lots of in jokes etc. You've worked really hard on this. Love the Tardis interior. Brill film all round. mini/bigsmile

Awesome man. loved it.

That was an amazing film. I'm glad that the doctor is A) American and B) GINGA!!! It switches up the doctor. I've just been waiting for a ginger!!! The only problem I had is that the person who plays Abby's microphone is kind of cheap.