Topic: Picture Quality Help

Ok, sorry so many posts, but I think I have a bit of a problem. I use a c910 cam to film now, and the quality is great up until the point where I upload it to Youtube. Then the quality goes way down. Does anybody have any suggestions for me on what to do? Does this have to do with the aspect ratio?

Re: Picture Quality Help

What about the quality degrades? The resolution? The playback? What format do you upload the file(s) in? You'll need to provide a bit more information for us to help out.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Sean wrote:

What about the quality degrades? The resolution? The playback? What format do you upload the file(s) in? You'll need to provide a bit more information for us to help out.

It's the resolution/frame qualityI'm having problems with. The quality is nice and clear while I'm editing, but when I upload it, the pictures get much more blurry. There's no degraded video playback. What exactly do you mean by format?

Youtube lists its preferred format here, on a page I found after one google search.

• MOV

• MPEG4

• AVI

• WMV

• MPEGPS

• FLV

• 3GPP

• WebM

I render my videos for upload as .mp4 files, with a H.264 encoding format.

You need to offer up some information if you expect help in getting to the bottom of this. Walk us through your process, perhaps. What software do you use for capture? for editing? what settings do you save the file with?

Oh, I use .mov. For capture software, I use a program called SAM Animation. It's pretty nice, I paid $30 bucks for it. What  I do is animate a clip of the film, then I export it. I then import it into iMovie,(repeated until done.) Then I edit all of the clips, and upload it to YouTube from iMovie.

Last edited by GHB (January 9, 2013 (06:31am))

I haven't tried uploading to Youtube directly from iMovie but that would be my first stop in trying to remedy this. Try outputting your film to a separate file on your computer, then uploading to Youtube manually.

I actually upload my videos directly from iMovie as well and they come out in HD. When you are exporting it, are you selecting the HD option in the upload screen (when you type in the Title and Description of the video)? It should be under "Size to publish" and the other options are Mobile, Medium, Large, HD 720p, and HD 1080p. I always select the HD 1080p option.

MouseDroid wrote:

I actually upload my videos directly from iMovie as well and they come out in HD. When you are exporting it, are you selecting the HD option in the upload screen (when you type in the Title and Description of the video)? It should be under "Size to publish" and the other options are Mobile, Medium, Large, HD 720p, and HD 1080p. I always select the HD 1080p option.

Yes, that's exactly how I do it. I usually do 720p though.

That's odd. In that case, I would try doing what Sean recommended. Export using the highest quality setting, and then upload it manually to YouTube from a browser.