Topic: Wondering and thinking

Wondering and thinking I should do less videos with words or have less words in them. Make my videos more simple. Would you guysss agree?

Re: Wondering and thinking

You mean dialog?

Yes, of course. Personally, I put in dialog only when it's necessary, such as jokes (not the "telling a joke" kind of joke) or  explaining something or expressing something not easily expressed by actions. If a film can be done without dialog, then I do it without.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

minifig051 wrote:

If a film can be done without dialog, then I do it without.

That's a kinda nice guideline, Though, I'd add the word "well" after done and before without.

Some times a film is very reliant about dialogue, but others, not so much.  I really liked the beginning of Wall-E and how there was so little talking, but it was all so great. Saying more without words can be very cool, if you can do it well.

Alright! Thanks guys!

The series I write is dialogue heavy.  Still, I carefully choose the words so that each one propels the story or has some point to it.  Whether or not you decide to use a lot of dialogue, make sure that anything that is said has a reason for it.  I like the Michael Hitchkox (if I spelled it right) films on YouTube.  The language is sparingly used, but always appropriate.

Also, watch a lot of Samurai Jack for inspiration.  It's a visual story with little dialogue, but when it is used, you know it is important to the plot.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

If a film needs dialogue then have it. There's no reason not to include dialogue, just for the sake of not having it. I've seen some amazing brickfilms that are basically all dialogue and i've seen many without as well. Do what the plot calls for.

Most stories can be told with little-to-no dialog, but which option is the most beneficial for your particular story can only be decided by you. As has already been said, do what the plot calls for.

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

Personally, I think dialogue is often used in Brickfilms has an "easy way out", if you will. What I mean by this is that often a film can be extremely heavy in relying on dialogue to accomplish mood, story, and content, instead of taking the time to make sure all of the other various film aspects are good as well. I often see dialogue in Brickfilms being used to even cut down on how much animation is used, with lots of still frames interjected. Telling a story without dialogue can be a challenge that might really push a filmmaker's skills to their limit. I've done numerous films that have absolutely no dialogue at all. A prime example would be my video "The Costume Contest" or "A Date with Julie". Both films have no voice acting, yet rely upon music, cinematography, sound effects, shot juxtaposition, and animation to convey what is happening.

All this being said, it's not like dialogue is a bad thing. Dialogue can do marvelous and amazing things, taking a film to the next level. Just don't use it as a crutch. mini/smile