Topic: Tips And Tricks

Welcome to the Tips and Tricks thread! The purpose of this thread is to allow brickfilmers to share helpful hints they have with Bricks in Motion community. This can be anything from masking to walk cycles to in-camera effects.

I hope you all enjoy this thread!

LEGOs, Soccer, Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream and other completely irrelevant things.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8048/8104309919_8e4b6257b7.jpg
YouTube Flickr

Re: Tips And Tricks

Ooh, I have one I just used last night.  I'm sure most of you have done something like this (like those of you that use a mobile device for a TV), but this was cool for me.  I got a paint app on my iPod touch and made a bunch of different colored backgrounds, green, blue, red, orange, yellow, light gray, black, white, and more.  I then turned the screen brightness all the way up, opened up the color I wanted, and placed it above the set.  It works really great and can give your movie very cool color FX withought having to do them in post.

Last edited by JonnDthunDer (February 5, 2013 (07:20pm))

I actually think that we have a few threads like this.

Jonn, that is a great idea! I will have to try that sometime!
Here's a tip: if you want to do lots of little LED sorts of lights, build a wall with these sorts of bricks, and then shine a LED flashlight behind it. I kind of blatantly stole that from Insomniac's film, and actually I am trying it out in my new music video.

topitmunkeydog wrote:

Here's a tip: if you want to do lots of little LED sorts of lights, build a wall with these sorts of bricks, and then shine a LED flashlight behind it. I kind of blatantly stole that from Insomniac's film, and actually I am trying it out in my new music video.

Sorry munkeydog, I was unaware of that, but I didn't see one. Anywho, those are both good suggestions

LEGOs, Soccer, Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream and other completely irrelevant things.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8048/8104309919_8e4b6257b7.jpg
YouTube Flickr

Lol, well it's not like anybody's found that thread. I can't even remember what it's called, or if it even existed! So until it rises from the deep we should use this one. mini/smile

A simple one, but one I forget about a lot. Make sure the "joints" of the minifigure you are animating are loose enough to move. It makes it a lot easier to animate smoothly, and helps to prevent set bumps.

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

And make sure the joints aren't too loose either so the minifigure doesn't move by itself between frames. (and yes they do move by themselves sometimes... mini/bigsmile )

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator

Watch the reflections.  All my films have the problem of when someone turns his head or the lean back the light makes a really obvious reflection if they're in a bad position (even with paper over them).  I'm not sure how to fix this...so beware. 
Keep an (old) toothbrush to clean the dust off sets if you take a day or two between using it.

Wear dark clothes, like black. This stops light from reflecting off your clothing.

You can make a neat cannonball by combining two sets of black hair. The resulting projectile will be semi-round and able to split apart. I think this technique works better than just using a black head or cylinder.

- Packrat Productions

For dialogue, time yourself saying the line, then multiply that number of seconds by the FPS rate (in most cases, 15, but for me it's 12), then while you're shooting, take that number of frames.

Attatch bluetack to a pencil, then attatch that to the minifigure then shake it around, creating motion blur. I use this for fast masking shots.

Here's my personal list which I add to every time I find something that works and don't want to forget it.  The file name is ""What I've Learned", and hopefully, someone else will find something in here helpful.

What I learned so far from working on the animation

1) Set the white balance and frame setting before shooting.

2) Find a place away from windows, so that the lighting doesn't change during different times of day.

3) Try to move more than one character/object at a time, so that the animation looks more fluid.  Unless they're marching, don't move them in unison.

4) When two or more characters are moving at about the same time, don't start and stop their motions at exactly the same time.

5) When animating girls with flowing hair, apply delayed secondary reaction technique on their hair, so that it looks more organic and free-flowing.  [delayed secondary reaction = let the hair continue to move after the head stops, then 'snap' back into position.]

6) Animating at 30 fps enables one to divide the animation into 15 fps or 10 fps evenly, depending on how smooth the animation needs to be.

7) Change camera views when starting a new session, to keep any inconsistencies less noticeable.

8. Likewise, shoot all cuts to completion whenever you can.

9) When animating stories that are heavy in dialogue, be sure to use physical movement whenever it doesn't interfere with the story.  This keeps the animation visually interesting.  Include minor physical gags, but not too frequently, as they may lose their appeal if overused.

10) Allow character to move in reverse before making a broad move, as the character anticipates making the motion.

11) When characters move their head, hands or arms, make the movements nearest the keyframes more subtle, and in the middle more pronounced.  This makes the motion “arc-like” and organic

.. . . .  .   .  . . . ..

The spacing of the dots is an  example of the technique.  The middle motion should be broadest, and the end motions should be most subtle, as the head or limb is accelerating and decelerating at the beginning and end of the motions.

12) Dust your sets frequently.  Otherwise, your interiors will collect dust at an unrealistically rapid rate!

13) The eye can be easily fooled by Lego animation.  A character can walk on a stud or jumper plate if the feet aren't being filmed, giving the mini figure more stability.  The viewer will not notice that the character is one stud higher because the walking makes the character's height seem correct.

14) This technique of fooling the eye can work in many situations, but another excellent example is when a character closes a door.  If the character's hand is not touching the door, but is on a point directly on the line segment between the camera lens and the door knob, it appears as if the character is holding the knob.

15) Clear bricks or plates adequately can make objects on them appear airborne without photo editing or special effects/masking.

16) It's better to re-shoot something that didn't turn out right than to try to use the original material.

17) Break a huge project up into small, manageable goals. Don't chart the goals from beginning to end, but set a few near-term goals, and add a new one with each accomplishment.

18) Record the final voices before animating, unless you want to go back and rework all the animation again!

19) Be subtle!  It's amazing how the camera picks up the slightest motion in the macro world of Lego.

20) I try to make a walking person take one step that takes longer or shorter than the others, especially if slightly turning.  This asymmetry takes the rhythm off balance but gives an organic feel to the movement.

21) If a character raises his arm, he'll lean back slightly. When he lowers his arm, he'll lean forward.

22) Plan (in your head or on paper) where you want the characters and props to end up at the end of a scene, for the next scene.  Do all of this BEFORE SHOOTING, so that you don't have to redo everything because something's in the wrong place.  Especially important when scenes are not animated chronologically.

23) Shoot all keyframes twice if you don't have manual focus; use the best of the two.  It stinks when keyframes are inconsistent with other frames.

24) For some reason, sound effects can sometimes seem out of sync unless they begin a frame ahead of the visual that accompanies it.

25) Photograph the scene before and after a session, as a reference in case your props get moved.

26) When animating with minifigures, select before any animating the positions of the arms, legs, hands and head that your minifigures can use as “first positions”, which any figure can return to when at rest.  Memorize the settings you have chosen.  You can always return your character to that position and re-animate a new sequence from it.  Also, decide a few “active” positions that a minifigure can return to.  Using standardized first and “active” positions, you can always bring your characters back to these positions and loop animation, or animate efficient interchangeable sequences, all without needing any references or notes.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Reading a few tips about avoiding minifigures with loose arms, I just thought of another idea.  If your minifigure suffers from loose arms but you really want to use that body part, shove some blue stick tacky stuff up inside the piece to stiffen it.

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

5) When animating girls with flowing hair, apply delayed secondary reaction technique on their hair, so that it looks more organic and free-flowing.  [delayed secondary reaction = let the hair continue to move after the head stops, then 'snap' back into position.]

Just a question, is this tip meant for lego? I can't quite imagine how this translates to minifigures, because their hair is rigid. However, that is a great tip that I will keep in mind next time I animate something with hair mini/smile

topitmunkeydog wrote:

It's important to have some sort of solid background behind the bricks. If you have a light shining through, it will peek through the cracks of the bricks. What I did in Houdini was cover all the cracks with black plasticine. It was a mess to clean up but it worked really well.

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

mini/jaw Didn't even think of that issue... Of course you could also probably get like a hole puncher on some black paper but that might be harder. It would be easier to clean up though.

topitmunkeydog wrote:
HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Just a question, is this tip meant for lego? I can't quite imagine how this translates to minifigures, because their hair is rigid. However, that is a great tip that I will keep in mind next time I animate something with hair mini/smile

Yes!  That tip is supposed to be for Lego.  I use it in my lego series for the character Melissa every time she turns her head.  You can see it on the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X3-_uUeFA4
Melissa does it three times between 0:38 and 0:49.  The second time is a little weird, because she was turning her head back and I meant to leave the delayed secondary reaction out.  This clip is at 10 FPS.  I'm animating episode 2 at 15 fps and it looks even better!

Another tip. If Blu-Tac, clay, and tape aren't working for you, head on down to your local drug store and pick up some dental wax. Yup, dental wax. It's the stuff you usually put on your braces. It's a pretty good adhesive; it's the same stuff I used to stick the tiny strip of paper on Tintin's head in this video.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

If your computer is right next to your set, turn its brightness down. This will decrease odd lights and possibly save battery if your not plugged in.

BISCUIT!
My website is in construction!