Topic: Legends: Realm of the Ancients

Directory Link

Legends: Realm of the Ancients

YouTube

Part 2 coming soon!

Re: Legends: Realm of the Ancients

OK...It started off with two combatants being dropped off in an area, and ended with Gandalf escaping from an Ent. mini/dizzy That's a little too much change for a one minute short. Especially since there was no explanation, and known back-story.

The viewers have no idea what this place is, how it works, who these people are, and why there would be Rock Monsters, Ents, a wizard, and two humans all together. A simple premise like, "two guys are dropped in an area and have to fight to the death", can work in that short of a running time. But something more involved needs a lot more plot to work well. Also, there needs to be a good reason to pull in licensed characters like the Ents and Gandalf into a story like that. A little change of design and personality to be a new character would be more original, and better suited to your plot/story. And remember, it's always best to keep people like that in their own stories/themes.

The animation was generally smooth, but at times unrealistic. (There is a difference.) And there was also a lot light flicker, set bumps, and focus flicker. The set was good though, and the layers of different tan plates helped with the "ruined city" feel. 

I think that if the running time allowed more explanation, or you simplified the plot, it would be a lot better. I also recommend working on more realistic motions, and polishing up on your sound work.
I really think you can improve a lot with a little bit more time and effort. mini/wink

I see what you mean, but it's not Gandalf, and ents aren't licenced to my knowledge. This is just part 1 and I wanted it to bring the audience right into the action... When part 2 comes out this will make more sense. But thank you for taking the time to give me tips mini/bigsmile thanks!

Pritchard Studios wrote:

OK...It started off with two combatants being dropped off in an area, and ended with Gandalf escaping from an Ent. mini/dizzy That's a little too much change for a one minute short. Especially since there was no explanation, and known back-story.

The viewers have no idea what this place is, how it works, who these people are, and why there would be Rock Monsters, Ents, a wizard, and two humans all together. A simple premise like, "two guys are dropped in an area and have to fight to the death", can work in that short of a running time. But something more involved needs a lot more plot to work well. Also, there needs to be a good reason to pull in licensed characters like the Ents and Gandalf into a story like that. A little change of design and personality to be a new character would be more original, and better suited to your plot/story. And remember, it's always best to keep people like that in their own stories/themes.

The animation was generally smooth, but at times unrealistic. (There is a difference.) And there was also a lot light flicker, set bumps, and focus flicker. The set was good though, and the layers of different tan plates helped with the "ruined city" feel. 

I think that if the running time allowed more explanation, or you simplified the plot, it would be a lot better. I also recommend working on more realistic motions, and polishing up on your sound work.
I really think you can improve a lot with a little bit more time and effort. mini/wink

I like it very much. And I mostly agree with Pitchard, but why the resolution is so small. Like so much black bars etc.