Topic: Crowd Animations

I don't think that we have a thread for this, so here is a thread upon which to discuss various strategies for crowd animation.

My one question that I will start out with is, what is the best way to go about animating a concert crowd? The best example of what I am trying to achieve is like 0ldscratch's Brick It video. He gave me some advice on youtube but I didn't really understand it too well... Does anybody else have any tips or suggestions on how to execute this effect?
Thanks!

Re: Crowd Animations

Well, there's this thing you can do for animating lots of stuff. Once, Wilson used it for the vikings running into the Bank from How to Not Rob a Bank.  What you do, is you make a list of sorts with check marks for moving these certain things.
Obviously, managing a list would make it more time consuming, but you would probably be able to actually move them correctly at least.

Also, if you can, having an assistant to help with this list would be optimal.

I would do it with grid paper, on the top row have a symbol for each object, and on the side row have numbers for each frame, and each time you move someone, you check off the square for that parson and frame, then move on to the next row once the frame is completed.

I'd say animate the minifigs and focus on one at a time from left to right and take your time.

BISCUIT!
My website is in construction!

I've done quite a lot of crowd animations in my latest film, and I find the best thing to do is to work out what each figure is doing, then animate systematically (left/right or up/down).  You really just need patience more than anything else.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2889/8957456571_f23867aeec_o.jpg
PITCH Part 1 Out Now!
Part 2 Coming Soon

What I would do for moving two or more things at the same time that aren't cycles or is animate each part indiviually to find out what looks best (I often find myself taking too many frames and deleting a few). Then, I would write down how many frames each movement takes and the frames of stillness inbetween moving. When I do the shot combining the movements, I would refer to the notes to make sure I'm doing it right.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

I once tried animating a shot where about 15/20 minifigs appeared on screen at the same time: what I did was to divide the set in groups of people and studied their walk cycles, so that I knew that if minifig n° 1 was in position 3, then minifig n° 2 had to be two positions ahead of that.
It came out ok, I guess.

I had to do a couple of crowd animations a little bit ago. I ended up going from left to right, top to bottom, like's already been said, and moving each minifigure. I have also used the technique of listing the movements, and checking them off. The only problem was that it took too long, and I would often miss checking something of, so I'd get off in my animation.

http://bricksafe.com/files/Legoguy501/BiM%20Signature.png
2nd place Darkness and Light entry: The Tree
Behind the Scenes

Thank you for the suggestions everybody! mini/smile They are very helpful!