Topic: The Costume Contest (Halloween Special)

Directory Link

The Costume Contest (Halloween Special)

YouTube

Zombies have feelings too.

Made in three days for the ReBrick Halloween Video Competition. I would greatly appreciate it if you would go to ReBrick, create an account really quick, and "like" my entry over there. This will help ensure that I am one of the semi-finalists that gets into the judging stage. Thanks! Here is the link to do so: http://rebrick.lego.com/en-US/bookmark/ … al-/jyn0om

Last edited by Repelling Spider (October 18, 2012 (04:30pm))

Re: The Costume Contest (Halloween Special)

It's private.... mini/confused

Mighty Wanderer wrote:

It's private.... mini/confused

I'm able to watch it. Try clicking the link again.

Anyways, that was pretty good, Spider! I think I liked the judging part best. But, I also liked the part where the zombie smiles as he's wearing the medal. The lightning seemed just about right, and the pace was great too. But, I don't think it would have hurt to have a little dialogue; I think it would have helped one to stay on track of things. There are lots of zombie brickfilms out there, and some of them aren't even worth watching. But, you sort of tweaked the idea just enough to make it more creative than the others. All in all, great job!

9.7/10

Last edited by Mickey (October 18, 2012 (05:21pm))

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Still private. Wierd....

I really liked this one spider, as I do all of 'em. the lighting was pretty good, the music as the sole sound was good. The disappearing I didn't get... maybe someone could help me out with that one. Great over all. I think I agree with mickey on the rating.

I was wrong about the sound.

Last edited by Legocloniac477 (October 18, 2012 (05:43pm))

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

Please make it public so we can see the video.

Hmmmm.... After it didn't work on youtube and went to rebrick. It didn't work the first time but it did the second. mini/what

You made this in 3 days? Impressive.

I loved the lighting mini/love

-Concept: 8/10
   -Story: 6/10
   -Cinematography: 9/10
   -Sound: 7/10
   -Music: 8/10
   -Animation: 8.5/10
   -Effects: 9/10
   -Sets: 8.5/10

→OVERALL: 7.7/10

*The Overall rating as nothing to do with the other categories... It's just my overall appreciation of your film.

Awesome video!  The zombie smile was great.  Poor Jar-jar mini/lol
Great work!

Very nice video. I especially liked the zombie walk cycle, that was really funny. Also, how did you do the motion blur on the judges arms when they hold up the signs that say 10 on them?
Overall, good job! You get a smiley: mini/smile

Very nice, spider! I loved the lighting of cemetery. And the idea was super awesome. mini/smile Very good job!
Effects were nicely done too. I liked the blur much. mini/wink Nice and smooth animation though.

Beautiful participation Repellingspider.

You're a good competitor level. (This is true I do not remporterai the contest.)

Technically, the picture quality is good. The lighting and atmosphere during the sequences of the cemetery are beautiful.

Bravo.

Loic-FB wrote:

"You made this in 3 days? Impressive."

Loic, i made my participation in 3 days too. But i dont have a same quality.:(

Sorry for my english... i'm French...

My BF available at:
http://www.youtube.com/user/GaudrioleProduction1

Thanks everyone for your great comments! My apologies for the confusion with the video's privacy and then the ReBrick link. YouTube messed up on me and wasn't wanting to shift the video to being public for some odd reason. On top of this, ReBrick has a screening process I think and the actual post couldn't be seen by non-ReBrick members until it was approved. So now everyone should be able to see both things. Thanks to those that have "liked" my video over, I really appreciate that. I still could use a few more votes though mini/wink

@topitmunkeydog - Thanks! I really loved how that motion blur came out. It was done by masking out the score signs frame by frame and applying motion blur to just them in After Effects. The other motion blur for the pan was much easier.

Ah, good. Now I can watch it. mini/smile

I really liked it, but I thought that the zombie fading onto/out from the grave was kind of wierd. I mean, fading zombies? mini/tongue
In the second shot (the full view of the graveyard) the zombie's grave has the glow-in-the-dark slopes, and in the next they're dark gray. mini/tongue
When the zombie (I'm going to stop calling him "zombie." From now on, he's Alex) sat up, the animation was a bit choppy, but it wasn't too bad. The only problem was the shot right after that, where Alex stood up was smooth, so it looked kind of awkward. And it looked even awkward-er when he started walking because his arms jerked a lot. mini/tongue

Pretty much everything from then on was quite good, though. Especially the judging. Oh, Jar-Jar. mini/sad

Nice job, and I did hit "Like." mini/bigsmile

Thanks Mighty Wanderer! I agree with a lot of your comments except for the one about his walking. He's a zombie, so his arms were supposed to jerk around a lot and be very abnormal. Perhaps they jerk more than what you've seen in other people's films, but I'd rather not have my zombies be the exact same as someone else's. I guess it's just a stylistic thing. Thanks again for liking the video, I really appreciate it! mini/smile

What I meant by jerking arms is the easing. It started easing out just fine, but then snapped up. Watching it again, I'm seeing that while Alex was walking it didn't jerk very much, I guess that it was more that his body was snapping around while he walked.

I did enjoy this nonetheless, and it is quite impressive for being made in only 3 days. mini/smile

Nobody but me likes Jar Jar. mini/blankexpression

That was some pretty great lighting, I enjoyed it, but I do feel that the sound design was rather lacking, mainly the Zombie.

This a great film Spider. The whole thing is really enjoyable. For me, like ANP said, the sound design seemed slightly lacking. I feel like there could be more sound in general, and some of the sound could be tweaked a bit. The owl sound  in the graveyard for example, probably could have benefited from being a bit more quiet or drowned in some reverb.
Otherwise, it all looks good, the animation, the camera work, and the lighting you get always looks really good and natural.

@Squid - I actually have nothing against Jar Jar. In fact, I quote him from time to time. I know there are a lot of Gungan haters out there, so I thought I'd throw that joke in there for them. Perhaps I should have paid more attention to the sound design of the film. I was a little weary about adding Zombie sound effects just because I didn't want it to take away at all from the plot of the film. Perhaps I thought it was a little too cliche too, I dunno. I'm happy with how the film came out though. Looking back, I do think I should have added some reverb to the owl hoot though like Olson said. Thanks for the feedback, guys!