Topic: The Lego Star Wars Special (Unfinished)

Directory Link

The Lego Star Wars Special (Unfinished)

YouTube

I realize that this video isn't that good.  I'm just posting it here because I'd like some feedback on what I could fix for my next video.  mini/smile

Last edited by DaNumba1Ninja (October 16, 2012 (09:54pm))

Re: The Lego Star Wars Special (Unfinished)

Don't be so hard on yourself, it wasn't bad at all. mini/wink
First, I congratulate you on actually being able to make a Star Wars film that not only lacks the "crawling text" intro, but also has more video time than title time. That is unfortunately getting all too rare nowadays, so it's great to find those things missing here.

The biggest problem is the mouth animation, as is often said, unless it is extremely good, (Nick Durron's "Zombie" films, "Unrenewable" and "Foster the People - Houdini (in LEGO)") it's better to leave the mouth animation out. 

(I'm sending you more info on that subject in a PM to keep this review down to a decent size.)

While some of the jokes were overdone or so-so, the execution and timing was great.
And if you had slightly better (And original) material, you would have had an awesome script.

Spoiler (click to read)

That being said, "Band-aid," "Suicide corps" and "Lack of space" were good lines, and very funny.

The animation was choppy in most places, the figures looked like they were bumped several times, and there was some light flicker, but I think it was still pretty good. You've nailed one of the harder aspects, (Comedic timing) so just work on the animation, and getting away from overused memes, and you'll be quite the animator.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Don't be so hard on yourself, it wasn't bad at all. mini/wink
First, I congratulate you on actually being able to make a Star Wars film that not only lacks the "crawling text" intro, but also has more video time than title time. That is unfortunately getting all too rare nowadays, so it's great to find those things missing here.

The biggest problem is the mouth animation, as is often said, unless it is extremely good, (Nick Durron's "Zombie" films, "Unrenewable" and "Foster the People - Houdini (in LEGO)") it's better to leave the mouth animation out. 

(I'm sending you more info on that subject in a PM to keep this review down to a decent size.)

While some of the jokes were overdone or so-so, the execution and timing was great.
And if you had slightly better (And original) material, you would have had an awesome script.

Spoiler (click to read)

That being said, "Band-aid," "Suicide corps" and "Lack of space" were good lines, and very funny.

The animation was choppy in most places, the figures looked like they were bumped several times, and there was some light flicker, but I think it was still pretty good. You've nailed one of the harder aspects, (Comedic timing) so just work on the animation, and getting away from overused memes, and you'll be quite the animator.

Thanks!  I couldn't agree more on the mouth animations, and they are something I've been trying to get right for almost a year.

As for the "jokes" in the video, there were a few that weren't meant to be funny.  They were just flaws or interesting bits I noticed in the movies or Lego sets.  I had several more skits that I genuinely thought were hilarious, but, as the title of this video says, it's unfinished.  I had the photos from the animation sitting on my computer for months, and I had to force myself to edit and composite.

The animation is choppy.  As I said, the animation is a few months old, and I have improved greatly since I got a C910 and iStopMotion a few weeks ago.  Light flicker was a problem for me.  The figures were not only bumped; they were knocked over several times!  I don't like animating figures with capes.  <Any tips on this?

Thanks for your feedback!  It's much appreciated!

I actually thought that this was very well done. And I wouldn't put "unfinished" in the title, you may get less views. (And if you hadn't of told me, I wouldn't have know that this was unfinished.)

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm