Topic: Font size: 1em plz?

I don't know how much this affects everyone else, but I have a hard time reading the text here at BiM.

I looked in the css and it says "font-size: 100%;".

I don't know how that is meant to work, presumably it is either part of xhtml or web2.0 framework. I'm used to having sites specify their text in either pixel size or em size. When it is in pixel size (getting rarer now) it can't be changed. When it is set as en em declaration then the browser will disiplay the font at a good size for me.

But when I look at BiM, it is pretty hard to read after a while.

My resolution is 1440 x 900.

Smile and say hello to people. It costs you nothing and can brighten their day.

Re: Font size: 1em plz?

Ctrl +,  zooms in to thw web page and increases the font size, but it zooms in on everything else.

Yeah, I was going to recommend ctrl + as well, at least if you're using FireFox.

I don't know a whole lot about the .css though so I should probably leave this to sloth.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Firefox is what I use, and I can specify what I want the default size to be, but if I make it bigger to read BiM, then it makes every other site that I look at bigger as well.

I'll have to look up the "100%" font declaration and see how it works.

For clarification: I believe that em is a unit that denotes the browser's default size as set by the user. It sounds like a good thing to implement, as long as there is not too much work involved.

Well I have not looked into the forums CSS much, but I do not believe that the main font size is 100%, it looks like it is

font: 75%/1.5em Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;

I did not make this style sheet and it is not the most strait forward thing ever created.  Just changed some stuff, it is now .8em (.75em seems to be the same as 75%/1.5em), 1em looks really huge on my 1920x1200 24" monitor, right now the font size seems to match other sites I use (Twitter, Gmail)

Ugh. You mind changing it back? The font's too large for my liking.

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.

Yeah, doesn't look too pretty to me.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Looks perfect for me.

EDIT: This is what it looks like when I posted this. I dunno about you guys, but it looks pretty great on my monitor.

EDIT 2: Hmm, this is what it looks like after the edit. It's a wee bit too big for my taste.

Last edited by BertL (March 25, 2009 (04:01pm))

OK, it is now set at .75em (may need to press F5 to get it to refresh) until someone with more authority makes the call.  I don't think we will have 1em font, it's just to big.  I could look into making a profile option to increase font size, but no promises.

Edit: Dr Neo Lao, you could try the No Squint pluggin for Firefox, it can remember zoom levels for sites

Firefox does remember the zoom level, doesn't it? I zoomed in here, then opened a tab with youtube and youtube appeared normally, opened the BiM tab again and it was still zoomed in. I'm not sure if it remembers it after each session, though.

Well at .75em it still seems small to me but if 1em is too big for everyone else then .75 should be the way to go.

I'll just put up with it.