Topic: Do you use Onion-skinning?

I recently visited another stop-motion forum (not LEGO, though), and some of the people there are really good at animation, but apparently, a lot of the 'pros' don't use onion-skinning; instead they go back and forth between frames. Some of the people have been animating since the 80's and earlier. mini/eek

Personally, I find onion-skinning very helpful. Do you use onion-skinning?

Re: Do you use Onion-skinning?

I used it back when I had Anasazi as my frame-capture program, (Not that it helped my early films any. mini/eh ) but MonkeyJam doesn't have it. And to tell the truth, while it was useful, I don't miss it that much. Going back and forth between the frames works just as well.

I am still learning atm to do brick films and personally i find onion skinning very helpful, but at the moment i only have monkey jam but onion skinning is definitely recommended for people starting off.

Moderator Notice: This user has been banned for mass vandalism of the Brikifilms wiki.]
"You don't know what you have till you lose it, but then when you realize it, it's probably to late.."
Working on a better community
Proverbs 26:21

Sometimes i do mini/smile

I use onion-skinning. I like using it because it also shows me where the tiny bumps are.

I only use Onion-skinning when I bump things and need to put them back. Other then that I normally just go back and forth between frames and use Dragon's playback feature.

I don't because I can't.

No animation software for me!

It sounds ridiculously useful, though. But you can still make pretty great animations without it.

I don't use it. I just use the Epson capture software, which doesn't have that option. But... I don't really mind.

Huh, I was just talking about onionskinning in chat yesterday (I brought it up).

I use it, and I use it for:

1. Camera/Set/Prop/Character bump correction.
2. In my Double Rigging method; which is having an object that I want floating is held up by a rig from the bottom in one frame and held from the top by a different rig in the next (this makes masking easier and smoother). Onionskinning really helps me get the object in the same place in both frames.
3. Tracking shots. It helps me get the character or object I'm tracking in the same part of the frame in every frame.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

I use it, i have dragon stop motion it is very handy!!
-Jan687

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8422/7880149424_852a72ef8f.jpg

I don't know if I could live without my Onion-Skinning friend.
All those tiny bumps and tiny arm movements only really get noticed on Onion-Skin.

AnnoyingNoisesProductions wrote:

I don't because I can't.

No animation software for me!

It sounds ridiculously useful, though. But you can still make pretty great animations without it.

This. The capture program that I use is logitech software which comes with every webcam of theirs.

@Larry
What webcam do you have? I thought that all the logitech webcams work with helium frog, which happens to have onion-skinning. I use it. mini/yes

So yeah, I've been using onion-skinning ever since I got my c920 (about 4 months). It makes things SOOOOOOO much easier, and lets me see if the movements are good, if I need to change something, etc. It's helped improve my vids some.

http://bricksafe.com/files/Legoguy501/BiM%20Signature.png
2nd place Darkness and Light entry: The Tree
Behind the Scenes

I use it when I bump the camera or forget which stud the walk cycle is on. mini/tongue

legoguy501 wrote:

@Larry
What webcam do you have? I thought that all the logitech webcams work with helium frog, which happens to have onion-skinning. I use it. mini/yes

So yeah, I've been using onion-skinning ever since I got my c920 (about 4 months). It makes things SOOOOOOO much easier, and lets me see if the movements are good, if I need to change something, etc. It's helped improve my vids some.

I use Quickcam 9K mini/smile I know I could use Helium Frog with it but I'm just used to capturing the frames with the good old Logitech capture software mini/smile

Nope, I don't. It doesn't work, so I frame flip instead. I'm getting a new computer soon, though.

YouTube channel
N00bToob ebovv

I don't. I find it more challenging if I don't use it. I forces me to be more observative and not take frames so quickly. However, even if I wanted to use onion skinning, I couldn't because my camera can't stream onto my computer in a program such as DragonFrame or Helium Frog mini/tongue plus, DragonFrame and iStopmotion are like $500 mini/dizzy

LEGOs, Soccer, Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream and other completely irrelevant things.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8048/8104309919_8e4b6257b7.jpg
YouTube Flickr

I bought iStopMotion 3 when (so it seems) it was on sale for $20 (right now it's $50 on the Mac App Store). I use the onion skinning when I have a live preview, but in the unlikely event that I'm using my still frame camera, no.

When I was less experienced with Vegas studio, in-between frames were being interpolated automaticly in an onion skin type of way.  I actually hated it and it took me a long time to figure out what to do about it.

For a great look at animation done without onion skinning that looks like it uses it, watch frame-by-frame some of Daffy Duck's wild motions in "The Great Piggy Bank Robbery" and others that Bob Clampett directed.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."