Topic: Editing Processes

I've been thinking about the process I go through in editing a video and was wondering how other people do theirs. . .Allow me to explain.

Usually when I make a film I tend to take all the pictures needed before recording any voices and doing the editing together, after doing this for a while i've decided that this may not be the best way to go about doing things as after a while you forget what you had originally intended some of the pictures to be, and you may forget which frame a minifigure is talking in.

I was wondering if you guys edit as you go, for example one shot at a time, or all at the end in a huge bundle like I used to, which method do you think is best?

Thanks mini/smile
DriverFilmz

Re: Editing Processes

The standard way to make a stop motion film is to:
1. Write the script
2. Record Voices
3. Animate to the voices
4. Edit all the footage together
5. Sound effects (Unless you're Aardman or Laika, this probably means getting some off the internet, although making sound effects is fun, I suggest at least trying it if you have time)
6. Music (again, probably getting it off the internet)

I've never heard of editing together as you shoot, especially since most people don't shoot scenes in order. I suggest recording voices first, it makes it all much easier, because it allows actors to add lib a little bit, there isn't a super set in stone script.

As far as editing goes, after I'm done shooting, I tend to edit each shot together, just the animation, no sound, and then edit those clips together; it makes the final clip much more manageable. mini/smile

i do the same thing as backyardlegos and it works pretty well

http://majhost.com/gallery/thebattledroid/BIM/brawl2012v2sigversion.jpg
check out meh yootube channel {thecam9722} http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCam9722

1. Formulate idea
2. Write script
3. Draw story-board
4. Record voices
5. Animate
6. Render the animation
7. Import the clip into Vegas
8. Edit the film (sound, music. You get my drift)
9. Watch for mistakes
10. Upload it and look for mistakes

That's about it really.

If you're not doing lip-syncing, it's not necessary to record voices before animation. In that case, you can go either way:

A: Figure out how many frames are needed for a line (or parts of a line) and animate it to match the audio. This method takes a lot of time and math.
or
B: Animate a movement for about every sentence or part of a sentence (usually divided on commas or "and"s). The movement should match up with a word or a small group of words (2-3). Add in pauses between the movements so the movements match the dialog. It helps to say the line out loud to make sure it's synced. The line will be approximately synced. Then, in editing, you put the actor's line to where it fits the best with the animation. The less movements the character makes, the more synced the line will appear.

I do the second method. It works for me.

Last edited by minifig051 (August 29, 2012 (01:22pm))

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

Thanks for the feedback, will have to try some of these methods, all sound much less hap-hazard and random than what I'm going now mini/tongue

My workflow is this:

1. Come up with an idea
2. Write the script
4. Record lines with Adobe Audition
5. Animate with Dragon
6. Export frames to external hard drive
7. Import frames into Adobe Premiere
8. Create rough edit
9. Add effects with Adobe After Effects
10. Color Correct and Color Grade
11. Render and Upload

DriverFilmz wrote:

I've been thinking about the process I go through in editing a video and was wondering how other people do theirs. . .Allow me to explain.

Usually when I make a film I tend to take all the pictures needed before recording any voices and doing the editing together, after doing this for a while i've decided that this may not be the best way to go about doing things as after a while you forget what you had originally intended some of the pictures to be, and you may forget which frame a minifigure is talking in.

I was wondering if you guys edit as you go, for example one shot at a time, or all at the end in a huge bundle like I used to, which method do you think is best?

Thanks mini/smile
DriverFilmz

I usually do it the exact same way as you, I know its not the best, but it has worked so far. I am currently making the Avengers trailer (24 fps!  Yeah!), and I see how much easier it is if you already have the voices recorded.  This post has been useful for me to read!