Topic: Looking for the General Production Technique

Hey guys, so I'm in the production stage of a film I'm making, but I'd like to know something about the general production process most of you guys have. Do you guys have all the sets built before you even start shooting? If so, then I presume you finish all the shooting first before doing voice-overs or any post-production for any scene.

My dilemma is that while i do have a large amount of lego, I do not have many baseplates, so I cannot build all of the sets beforehand. Do you recommend I just demolish one scene after I finish filming it to build another scene, or finish post production on that scene before replacing it with another scene, or just plain invest in more baseplates?

Your input will be much appreciated mini/smile

sigelrelster
Scripting: 100% Animation: 3% Post-Production: 0%

Re: Looking for the General Production Technique

First off, most people prefer recording the voices before filming, because it's easier to match the animation to voices than it is to match voices to animation. As far as sets, I'd imagine this is what most people will say: there's no need to build every set before you film. Especially when people big larger, more elaborate sets, it's not possible or practical to build all the sets beforehand. Personally, I'd say build a set, finish filming absolutely everything you could ever want to do with that set, then take it apart and use the pieces/baseplates for another set. Obviously, the problem with this is that you have to make sure that you will never need to use that set ever again, another reason why getting the voices beforehand is so important. I don't know about necessarily finishing all post-pro with the scene before destroying the set, but just make sure that you don't need to film anything else with that set. Always better to film too much, than not enough.

kcirb-- its brick backwards.
Youtube

The way I do it is to build sets as and when I need them, it is also recommended that you film all the scenes that take place on one set, then move onto all the scenes that take place on the next set and so on.   I also record all voices before I start animating so I can get timings right (It also means I don't have to pause the frame, and can have a lot more movement during talking scenes.

Hope that helps mini/tongue

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2889/8957456571_f23867aeec_o.jpg
PITCH Part 1 Out Now!
Part 2 Coming Soon

Hmmm, I see. Well, that's good then because now I don't have to pressure myself into buying new baseplates. Thanks mini/XD guys! Especially with the fast responses. mini/XD

sigelrelster
Scripting: 100% Animation: 3% Post-Production: 0%