Re: Organization & Sorting - Discussion Thread

rioforce wrote:

Do you mind if I bump this 2 year old topic?

I'm looking for storage organization drawers. I have the Stack-on 39 drawer hardware organizer ( http://www.amazon.com/Stack-On-DS-39-Dr … B000HJBA1W ), and it's great, but only for small parts. All of my basic bricks are still in plastic bags which usually live on the floor beside my dresser. I was thinking about getting something like this ( www.amazon.com/Sterilite-ClearView-Storage-Drawer-Organizer/dp/B001KN12PI ). Something with shallow-ish drawers that are wide so I don't have to dig so much (maybe not the exact product linked, but something like it). It will stack on other boxes of the same brand, so I can get many of them and stack them up in the corner to make a tower of drawers. Do you think that is a good idea, or is there something better out there that I am missing? My LEGO collection isn't too terribly large, but I am always expanding it, and I don't want to buy something too small that I'll have to get new storage drawers next year.

Also, on another note that will help me choose what to get, how is the best way to sort them? Color? Type? Type and Color? I know that that question is kind of generic, but I'd lik to get some opinions on it, because a lot has changed since 2012, I'm sure.

Thanks!

I use these for plates and soon will be using them for wheels as well.
I use the one-size-smaller ones for bricks, but that depends on how many you have in each color.
They're great, or at least they work great for me. You can even squeeze the sides of the drawer and pull it out of the frame, so that you can set it on your work table as a box. Very handy.
I sort my bricks first by color, and then by size. I'll typically have a drawer for 1x1, 2, and 3, a drawer below that one for 1xlongers, and a drawer under that one for 2xwhatever. And I have a drawer for odd colors of which I don't have enough to give them their own drawer.
I have no recommendations besides these.

rioforce wrote:

I was thinking about getting something like this ( www.amazon.com/Sterilite-ClearView-Storage-Drawer-Organizer/dp/B001KN12PI ).

These are very weak and will eventually collapse. I have had a few and can't recommend them at all.

rioforce wrote:

My LEGO collection isn't too terribly large, but I am always expanding it, and I don't want to buy something too small that I'll have to get new storage drawers next year.

This is going to happen constantly if you use drawer systems. I recommend bin systems (clear containers with a decent "lock" for the lid).  The ones I use are great, I've only found them at Walmart and can never seem to find them online for linking. Don't go with the cheap "shoebox" Sterilites unless you like picking up parts constantly because you bumped the shelf and knocked the box over.

rioforce wrote:

Also, on another note that will help me choose what to get, how is the best way to sort them? Color? Type? Type and Color? I know that that question is kind of generic, but I'd lik to get some opinions on it, because a lot has changed since 2012, I'm sure.

This is up to you and will probably change as you get more and more stuff. I started out very basic myself, moved to using Bricklink categories with color subsorting, but now with minifig parts they are sub-sorted to an even finer detail. It's all based on your needs and how you work and how much "stuff" you have to keep sorted, really.

I like cylindrical Glad kitchen containers, especially the ones with twist tops.  You don't know how many messes I avoided picking up because of those twist lids.  They are recessed lids, too, so they stack pretty well.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."