Re: Developers/Programmers Needed! Let's create a stopmotion program!

I was looking at VideoSettings.java, and if I'm not mistaken, (and I usually am when I speculate on stuff) the FPS setting option only has three choices available: 15, 24, and 30. Unless there another file where there are more options, I think we should allow for more options. I think 20, 12, and 10 FPS added to the list is suitable, or have a textbox or a slider for custom settings.

Awesome aquamorph. Hey tenny yeah 15, 24, and 30 are just the most common and since the videowriter is even completely functionally it's not to important., but you can make any changes you feel are right.

Ok. I use 12 FPS in my videos.

Is there an executable file for the program are is that not created yet? I can view the code but I can't figure out how to run the program.

@Aqua Morph: You may have to find a .class file, unless an executable JAR file has been created, but I doubt that. The classes are in Stop-Motion-programs/build/classes.

I sent a pull request that adds 10 FPS and 12 FPS to VideoSettings.java.

I have one on my computer. tenny what camera are you using? I'm using a Creative webcam, and a canon t3i.

I have a Logitech webcam and a Canon Rebel XTi EOS.

Cool, are they working with it?

I have not tested the program. My computer is broken so I am using my iPod and my old computer, which doesn't support the latest version of Java. For any testing, I'm going to wait until my computer is working.

Alright.

This is very cool, I'm reading all the code, and I'm learning all these cool methods and class fields that I didn't know before, like

record.setToolTipText("Record Audio");

Thanks, learned a lot of new stuff from this also mostly image processing and usb/firewire interaction.

I could have found this stuff out with the documentary of Java. Like the font. The book I read on java didn't have anything to do about fonts. I wanted a new font for a JTextField or whatever so I googled "different fonts for JTextField" or something. I have been able to find most of the stuff I need with google, and if I can't find it, it's probably because its not free.

Haha yeah Google pretty much writes my code.

However I do give partial credit to thenewboston for showing me the font class. Otherwise I wouldn't have even know that you could change a font. I think that the tabs is cool too. Having a tab for the script, and the audio, and the image capture.

Glad you like it, they where kinda experimental for me cause I hadn't done that before. By the way here's a new image of the current version.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8369/8529578225_0fe179416c.jpg
Latest Version by cwstudios, on Flickr

Last edited by cwstudios (March 5, 2013 (10:51am))

Ok, I can't test it right now (old computer problem). Here's the deal:

For a long time I have been programming (and filming) with Java 6 and Java 7 on Mac OS 10.7.4. However, about three weeks ago my computer's logic board got messed up, and it is unusable, and will not be until my dad can get it to The Depot, which apparently is a place where they will fix Macs for a flat price of $312, no matter how big the problem is or what the supplies cost. Until then, my only computer I can use are a PowerBook G4 (running Mac OS 10.5.8). It has a PowerPC processor, which complicates things a lot worse. I downloaded the whole stopmotion project found here, and opened it with NetBeans 6. I fixed a couple of errors that I saw, then tried to build it. NetBeans said it failed because I was using the Java SE version 1.5, which, with Java SE 7.10 being currently the latest version, is very old. So I looked up on the internet getting Java SE 7, but I can only get the Mac version if I have Mac OS 10.7 (or later). And in the Java Archives, Java 6 and earlier, they don't have a Mac version, and Apple, Inc doesn't have anything I can do. I will look up on the web some more, but right now I can't do anything.

Ok, I think I found a Java SE 6 on the Apple website after searching through all the available Downloads.

Did it work? I've heard of this problem for several Java projects. There isn't much you can do without 10.7, windows, or a linux distro. You could reverse port the code but most of the libraries are newer so it would be time consuming with over 8 thousand lines of code to port plus the libraries. best thing I found on the subject:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4762493?start=0&tstart=0 wrote:

Yes, Apple has killed off Java 6 and 7, current versions, through their Xprotect malware facility.
For 10.6.8 (and back)users, the only 'fix' I have that works so far: Deleting the XProtect source file that lists the blacklisted Java (supposedly it can also be edited in Terminal).

Using Finder, go to System - Library - CoreServices and righ-click on CoreTypes.bundle. Choose Show Contents and then go into Contents, then the Resources folder in the new window that opens. Scrolling to the end will show Xprotect.meta.plist in the list, I deleted that file and then was able to run.

Upon a reboot this file will get re-built, however, so it isn't permanent fix. Going into System Preferences and Security, clicking the lock icon to change settings (enter password) and unchecking the 'Automatically update safe downloads list' prevents the file from getting rebuilt. This isn't the best bet for people who are not the safest of computer users, but it does allow the Java app's to run from their existing desktop shortcuts.

Last edited by cwstudios (March 6, 2013 (02:19pm))

I think I got it working, but there was another problem: NetBeans is saying that the project uses a library called "testing". Do you know about that?