Topic: my new lamp is TOO HOT!

I just recently bought a new halogen lamp as I previously put up a post on how I was getting bad quality from my quickcam 9000 and some guys said I needed more light. Well I bought a halogen light as was recomended and it's really bright but it gets WAY too hot! IT WILL MELT MY LEGO! I was told here at BIM that they produced "cooler" light and were the best sort of lamp for webcams and brickfilming! Also, when I put paper over it, not enough light gets through and I end up with a pixeltated image for some reason. Without the paper, the lighting is too light and I can't make out any detail on the minifigs! I can sort this by using greaseproof paper or tracing paper but I can't stick it to the light as I know it will catch fire! I'll give you the name of the lamp:
It's an 'Ora 50 watt GU10 halogen flexi neck desk lamp' and I got it from B&Q

Please help me with this! I want to get better quality out of my webcam!

Re: my new lamp is TOO HOT!

Get a lightbulb that is less wattage.

rsteenoven wrote:

Get a lightbulb that is less wattage.

What kind would you recommend?

I use one that's 25w. It's still hot to the touch, but it won't go melting your LEGO.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Hazzat wrote:

I use one that's 25w. It's still hot to the touch, but it won't go melting your LEGO.

thanks! Also, thanks for replying so quickly! I might be able to phone my mum up to get a different bulb... mini/wink

Last edited by blingblongstudios (March 5, 2009 (02:06pm))

the bulb I am using is also 240v and I was told it would melt my lego...is that true? because My previous lamp had a bulb at 240v and I never had a problem...

Are we talking volts or watts here?

PS Use that edit button.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

240 V come out of your plug, like everyone elses.

You just need a lower watt bulb.

rsteenoven wrote:

I know, but i think the guy that was trying to explain all this to me got a bit confused mini/lol . Anyway, my mum might be able to find a 25w light bulb in tescos...as B&Q is shut now

Last edited by blingblongstudios (March 5, 2009 (02:28pm))

rsteenoven wrote:

Really? I thought European plugs were far more powerful than American plugs. My dad has a special converter for when he goes to Europe for his Mac.

blingblongstudios wrote:

...was told here at BIM that they produced "cooler" light and were the best sort of lamp for webcams and brickfilming! ...

I'm guessing that when they said that, they meant the type of light, not the temperature.
Edit: Oh god, major bump, sorry.

Whai Hallo Thar. I'm evanellis. Remember me from a certain unamed website? Oh, probably not, but either way, I'm back.