Topic: NEW LEGO Dino Sets! How do you animate the Dinosaurs?

The Dinosaurs are back and I got two sets of this new 2012 theme! But I am having trouble trying to animate a walk cycle of some of these moulds. If you have these sets, please give suggestions or make a walk cycle with the Tyrannosaurus, the Triceratops, or the Raptor.

Re: NEW LEGO Dino Sets! How do you animate the Dinosaurs?

If the legs are movable, animate the legs moving.  If they're not movable, have the dino "hop" instead.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

On a related note, which may or may not be helpful here, does anybody know how the horse walking in this was done? That may be useful except for the fact that I haven't a notion of how to do that.

I think it's done in the same way as Jay Silver's short called Comprende Compadre:
http://zirk.brickfilms.com/ComprendeCompadre.mov
edit - d'aww, it was removed. But it was basically the same as what you saw there

Jay Silver wrote:

To explain: I've attempted animating Lego horses before and have seen it done many times with varying results. I decided that rather than frustrating myself with the old techniques to try and "perfect" what is pretty much impossible (a convincing walk with legs that are both visible and immovable), I'd use whatever method I could do get something that LOOKED good.
What I've done here is to photograph a real Lego horse, break it into segments in Photoshop and animate it like a cutout in AfterEffects, adding dynamic shadowing to make it feel like a real, 3D horse on set. It was an immense amount of work and fairly impractical (it could only be seen side-on and on the right side of the frame, for example) but the result is pretty effective.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

topitmunkeydog wrote:

On a related note, which may or may not be helpful here, does anybody know how the horse walking in this was done? That may be useful except for the fact that I haven't a notion of how to do that.

That horse walk was CGI.

"Of The Pond Films"
*funny quote here*   Youtube | Steam | Facebook

Unfortunately, the dinosaurs are meant for playing with, not stop motion, so there are obviously not going to be any  "unnecessary" joints that would be useful for stop motion.

"Doc seriously, do that one more time without warning me first and I'll flip this examination table and roundhouse kick you in the face." - Adam young

1011ev wrote:
topitmunkeydog wrote:

That horse walk was CGI.

Exactly, why don't you just do something like that except for dinosaurs?

I have the raptor and Trex and the legs are so that you can animate them to move.

The Pteranadon is probably the easiest to animate,since all you have to do is flap it's wings up and down in front of a blue/green screen,while occasionally opening and closing it's mouth,and maybe give it a fish?
For the Coelophysis,it isn't movable,so make it hop on the studs!
Here is an example of a pteranadon flying:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nff0Pyfc1AE

-CDP