Topic: Ratings and new ideas

I was just thinking, it would be awesome if this site could implement a "rating" system smilar to the one they have on newgrounds. This could potentially be revolutionizing for the whole site, and here's a couple of reasons:
- This could potentially replace the very time-consuming task of the few people who review movies and put them in the BIM archives, which frankly, I think that while a solid idea for keeping the featured content high-quality, is not effective enough.
- Movies could be added instantly to a "under judgement" queue, where members could review, and rate the movies on some kind of scale. As we all know there are a lot of very amateurish and beginner stuff out there that we have to wade through to get to the good stuff. This would make sure that those movies also got at least a few views and reviews, their authors getting some response and tips, while the democracy of BIM together get to decide what movies are good and make it to the "front page" and such. No more posting in the releases section and getting virtually totally ignored.
- One could for example keep the standard of having different aspects to vote on; making people vote on animation, sound design, VFX, set design and so on, ending in an overall score. The different subjects could have a 1-6 or 1-10 or whatever type star system, with popups explaining roughly what giving a certain score means. Like in a 1-6 system for animation, a '6' popup tip would be: "Astounding and flawless animation, top class." (you get the point)
- Giving members "experience points" for voting, or some kind of trivial but fun reward for reviewing and rating would increase the chances of people coming back and taking time to view different stuff, and comment on everybody's work.

Also, I think that the film archive is badly designed (though not in a "looks" kind of way), as far as browsing for videos is concerned. There should be easier ways to search and look for films, like categories and "top rated" etc.

I understand that this might mean a LOT of revamping and redesigning for the people responsilbe for the site, but ultimately I think it would benefit the site greatly as far as usability and enjoyment is concerned, not to mention making it a bit more "competitive", as people would potentially strive more to make high quality content to be the "weekly first" etc, creating a more involved community as a whole.

I'd love to hear others opinons and ideas on this, and most of all the staff's, as to whether or not this would be a plausible thing to achieve. mini/smile

Re: Ratings and new ideas

I agree with you.

http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … ng-system/

We've had features like the revised rating system you suggest in the past on Brickfilms.com, to be honest it didn't work very well. I think all the rating categories are ultimately too subjective to be very helpful.

We are going to be revamping the whole review/directory system quite a bit though when time allows. Some of the features such as searchability and other things you've mentioned here are features I've been wanting for a long time. We just haven't had the developers and free time available to get it all implemented. I am hoping to get some of these things done in December, however.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I understand. Altough, it doesn't have to be too convoluted. A simple 0-1-2-3-4-5-6 overall score rating could possibly be enough. I was just throwing ideas out there. The point is to have everyone be involved, and not just a few guys in a reviewboard. If a movie is indeed good, it is my belief that it will be recognized by most people, and not just those who have the "supreme authority" mini/tongue. But I believe you understand where I'm coming from and what I mean.

It would be great if, as you say, changes are coming, and soon. If you do need some help or an extra set of hands though, I do have a little experience in HTML and PHP, and even more so in flash actionscript scripting. I do not know if I could be of any help, but if the need should ever arise, shoot me an email. I'm a quick learner.