Topic: Umm... yeah... [regarding ads]

Uh... hey. I just noticed something...
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/StevieCollins/Screenshots/adbim.jpg
An ad. Now I know that from the looks of it these ads are only viewable to members logged out... But I was just wondering, is it making an money or what? Because if it does make money or anything, what the hell keep it there for when you're logged out.

Just try to remember the main reason this site was built was so we'd have a community with no ads, and with good admins and all the rest.

Apart from that, thanks for speeding things up Smeagol!

Post title editing for clarity - ed.

Re: Umm... yeah... [regarding ads]

Wow, The ads have only been live for about 30 minuets and the only appear when you are logged out.  Ads are not intended for community members so all you have to do to hide them is create a free account and log in. Smeagol and I have some really cool plans for the directory and a good directory is going to draw a lot of non-members to the site, extra traffic can push the costs of running up so it would be nice if we could recoup some of it.  If it starts making a profiting the revenue may be used for contest prizes.

We should change the background colour to match the ads mini/cat

Ok so. Once we know they're being used for a good cause (as you said, if it makes a profit you can get Contest prizes) then it's OK I guess, so long as it stays for only people logged out.

Last edited by Steve (February 28, 2009 (02:12am))

The ads are only on three pages now, "Home", "Films", and "Resources" There are no plans (and I would resist) to add ads that a visible to members who are logged on.  You might also like to know that I have spent more time working on the new Directory then I did adding in the ads (but I just started today)

Excellent to hear and I look forward to the directory, Sloth!

The ads are actually not bad since I don't see them when I'm logged in.

Also, they blend in with the page, so they don't look so horrendous as those on the other site.  [Cough]

- Leo

Don't automatically assume ads = evil.  The other site promoted that negative association, but as has been pointed out ads can be done tastefully.  Websites cost money to maintain.  Unless you're willing to donate a substantial amount of cash each month to keep this website live, ads are going to a part of it.  The Brothers Brick has ads.  Every single cent that is made goes right back into keeping the website live.

As long as I dont see any ads whilst I'm logged in, I'm happy.

-MRB

YouTube
Max, She/They

Good move here.  Whenever I'm not logged in, I'll be sure to click on the ads.  I encourage you all to click on them as well.

ManVan wrote:

Good move here.  Whenever I'm not logged in, I'll be sure to click on the ads.  I encourage you all to click on them as well.

No, please don't encourage people to click them a lot - if that happens (i.e. a small group of people clicking the ads on a regular basis) it will look suspicious and the account could be closed down.

The reality is that most ad clicks are generated by non-members, and only members have been bothered by unobtrusive advertising in the past.  So to me, making them disappear when you're logged in makes perfect sense - I don't see how this could be a problem for anybody.  Registration will always be free, so if you don't like ads just stay logged in.

Though it was one of Schlaeps initial selling points to have no ads, I did clear this with him and I don't think a few adverts here and there are the main reason that people were upset with BF.  Good, honest leadership that cares about the community does not exclude the possibility of generating revenue through advertising; in fact, that's how most websites stay afloat.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Welcome back, Stevie! mini/bigsmile

Oh, my bad there.  I will make sure not to say that any more.  But, an occasional click wouldn't hurt, right?

If the ad intrests you click it, but people can detect if people are clicking on the ads, opening the site and then directly exiting, they can also see what page you enter the site and leave on, so only click if you think it might interest you.

Uh, just in case anyone forgot, hosting for BiM = free for you guys. mini/tongue No charge, promise.

Just use any money you make towards contests and stuff, but you don't have to hide behind the old "websites cost money" thing. Unless you're paying for some other thing I don't know about I guess.

:::: !important is the Jedi mind trick of CSS ::::

I still think it would be prudent to have ads that are relevant to our hobby.
Such as iStopmotion, Logitech, Lego, etc.

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

It's always nice to have a reserve of funds available incase there are hosting issues in the future.  Never hurt to be prepared.

We're getting some ads for brick/construction related sites, I'll try to filter those out.  Hopefully we can add some tags or something to get the adverts a little more focused.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png