Topic: Hard drive is failing

mini/madhead
Yeah. So I have a failing external hard drive that has like a hundred unreleased videos on it and it won't let me move the files. mini/twitch

Mod edit: Don't go overboard on smilies, please.

Last edited by Edmeier Animator (September 12, 2011 (05:47pm))

YouTube Channel Edmeier Animation
Email: [email protected]

Re: Hard drive is failing

so. Why did you post this?

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5232/5888638190_6ce46b1d91.jpg

mini/shifty To see if anyone knew how to get stuff of an uncooperative hard drive. mini/shifty

Get a portable hard drive and move stuff on that, then delete unneeded files?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png

He just said that it won't let him move the files, dude.

Why not, upload them all to something like Youtube or Media Fire or something (privately) and when you fixed the problem jsut re-download them again?
Sorry to see that you're having trouble, that would be a terrible loss if they all got deleted...

If you own or have access to a Mac, I've used Data Rescue in the past on various failing (and dead) hard drives with great success. It costs, but it's worth it.

EDIT: I just noticed it has a Windows version as well

Last edited by Sean (September 11, 2011 (06:16pm))

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Aw crap. I have, like no money. mini/sad

Ask your parents for cash, they might he understanding if you explain to them that you have 100 videos on the hard drive.

bricksinmotion member of the year

Sean wrote:

If you own or have access to a Mac, I've used Data Rescue in the past on various failing (and dead) hard drives with great success. It costs, but it's worth it.

Does it work on external drives?

It does indeed.

I just noticed it has a Windows version as well - fantastic.

It costs $99 yes, but for such a fantastic tool that's very good. Look at it this way - you say you have 100 videos in danger of being lost - Are 100 videos worth $100? And you keep the driver recovery app for future use.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Yeah.....the thing is that my parents NEVER lend me money under ANY circumstances. Also, how exactly does it work? Just in case I save up for it. mini/smile

You really ought to give us some more information about your problem. Explain exactly what you've tried doing and what your computer does in response. Then we'll know how to start helping you out best.

Crack open the hard drive, then take some scissors and glue, cut and paste the files onto a new hard drive, and the start it. Sorry, couldn't help it.

Have you ever considered taking it to RadioShack and asking them to take a look at it? In my situations, whenever I absolutely positively cannot figure out any piece of software or hardware without BiMers help, I usually go to the place where I got it, or a store like RadioShack, and ask what's wrong because they usually know what to do. And btw, you might want to brace yourself for the fact that it won't work. I know that sounds harsh but it might happen.

| Website |
So yeah, I'm back from my mind.

Yeah........my dad is kinda helpful, but my mom, who knows EVERYTHING about computers........"I DON'T WANT TO TALK VIDEO RIGHT NOW!!! ASK ME TOMORROW!"  (Tomorrow)  "I'M NOT TALKING VIDEO RIGHT NOW!!!" mini/madhead
........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Yeah. All true. But I will try and ask my dad to drive to Radio Shack and help my find out how to fix it. (Like you said, if I can)

And Jargon. So. Here is the dealio. I plug in my drive. It takes a few minutes to load. (Unusual) Sometimes, when I click on it, it says I have nothing on it. I try to eject it. It says it is in use and won't eject. I have to unplug it which sets off lots of annoying pop-ups on the computer. I plug it back in. It works. Also, it freezes up every time I try to play a video. I try to move a file. It freezes up at 12mb. I have to force quit. (Bad) I turn it back on. It says I ejected the drive when it is still in.

Wow.....this is one long post. mini/blankexpression

Last edited by Edmeier Animator (September 12, 2011 (05:18pm))

Edmeier Animator, please don't post that many smilies. The mods already told you not to.

I'm working on getting my studio back up and running, so stay posted...

Ok. First of all: sorry. Second: They did? mini/sad

On the first post wrote:

Mod edit: Don't go overboard on smilies, please.

Former BRAWL host, 2013-2017
             Youtube   Twitter

mini/shifty Oh.

Now I hate the title. Could a mod change it? mini/bigsmile
(If you can)

Edmeier Animator wrote:

Now I hate the title. Could a mod change it? mini/bigsmile
(If you can)