Re: ToY: Marooned

This was excellent.

Except for some of the jokes toward the end.
Really enjoyed your sets and your camera placement, the cutting too.

I'd say you should do some more editing, because this film is close to perfect.

WOW! A comment from Sméagol and Mobiledeli, two of the best brickfilmers ever, in the space of what, 20 minutes? I'm chuffed! I don't care if I don't win anything, the amount of responses I'm getting from this is unreal. The responses is a prize in itself. Every time I go on here there's more comments! I can't believe how well this has gone down.
This has made my year so far! Thanks so much guys for all of the great feedback! I can't wait for the judging to start!

This is excellent, you surprised me Filmfire, I can't wait to see another film from you!

I loved how you managed to tell an excellent story with no dialog. The animation was great, and everything just worked with each other perfectly. Good work, this is one of my favorite brickfilms now.

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

This is one of my all time favorite brickfilms. This might even get a BiMA. Even though the animation was off a bit at times (I didn't see much of any easing) and there was noticable light flicker, it did not subtract from the film. The story was above par, but the execution was terrific! The well pacing of the film leaves you wanting for more, not to mention the gags (some of which were overused gags, but it did neggatively affect the film too badly). The sound and score were both great, and the fact that there was no voice acting made the film even better. I'm not sure to say if this is an instant classic, but sure will be one eventually.

4.8/5.

http://tinyurl.com/krwj4ek
http://tinyurl.com/kvxr6umhttp://tinyurl.com/kxofj4mhttp://tinyurl.com/k5fw3syhttp://tinyurl.com/m4rv8tf

I really enjoyed this. I think it should place high. Make more films mini/tongue

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE | Will voice act, ping me in the discord.
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am

This is definitely one of my favorites! Best pirate movie I've seen so far! Some shots could have been paced faster but with the idea of having no dialogue in the whole thing, it really kept me interested in he story/movie. Grwat job making such a great movie! (P.S. Love the first sequence on the ship mini/smile

http://www.usa.canon.com/assets/app/images/callouts/cameras/callout_hdvideo_091511.jpg    http://www.usa.canon.com/assets/app/images/callouts/cameras/cdlc_148_rt.jpg

This has gone down loads better than what I thought on youtube too, I had 22 comments, 11 friend invites when I got home from school, and since this video's been live (about a day and a bit) I've had over 100 new subscribers! mini/eek Having Mindgame favourite it has probably helped! 
This is the most famous I've ever been, thanks so much guys for making this happen. mini/smile
EDIT: just checked my email inbox, 150 YOUTUBE MESSAGES! HOLY MOLEY!

Last edited by Filmfire96 (July 18, 2011 (08:25am))

That was really well made.
The story was interesting enough to hold one's attention, the animation was well done, the special effects like the cotton ball explosions were good and the sound editing was realistic and well-detailed.
The only real gripe I have is that the miniature models didn't work out that well.
However, this is still a good Brickfilm and I give it a 9/10
I also loved the Indiana Jones reference at 9:49 - 10:06

Excellent work, Filmfire, this is a great film. The animation had some nice touches, I liked the cinematography and editing (loved how you did the thunderstorm), and the sets were nicely designed. The story was charming and well-told, quite a feat for a film of this length (and without dialogue, no less). I actually found myself laughing out loud at some of the gags. The pacing was a little inconsistent, but the film never once lost my attention.

In particular, I really admired the creativity behind a lot of it, such as relying more on practical effects and miniatures (which I thought worked pretty well for the most part) rather than computer effects.

Great job; as mentioned before, very reminiscent of the old days of brickfilming.

Last edited by MindGame (July 18, 2011 (06:55pm))

Nicely done! I really was caught into the film and it had me chuckling at a few parts as well. The miniatures could have used a little work, as well as some scenes with the lighting, but those are small nitpicks to this.

Probably my favorite of this year's competition so far.

-Tejas VIM

Again, thanks guys!
Seems like there's mixed feelings on the miniature models. But there wasn't any other way I could do it. My table isn't big enough to put a whole island on, and I certainly wouldn't have the pieces for it even if it was big enough.
I'm glad everyone enjoyed the cotton wool explosion. I was a bit worried people wouldn't like it.

I don't ever think I'll use any post production effects, because for 1, I don't have a program and 2, I myself like the look of mini stuff and cotton wool loads more than CGI.
I'm glad so many of you liked it. I still find it hard to believe I've had 200 subscribers in 2 days!
This is up against many other great films though, so I'm not hoping to win. The fame I've got from this is worth the effort I put into it.

I think this is the best film in TOY. The animation was spot on. Cinematography was great. This what I picture of a great pirate film. The story was amusing even without any dialoge. This is surely a contender in bim 2011. 9/10

I'm back, not like you guys cared
Youtube

This was undeniably amazing.

A brilliant case of more is more.

Really there is nothing I can add to everyone else's praise other than: Incredible

YouTube
Max, She/They

There's nothing I can say that hasn't been said. I just loved it. I really liked the miniatures, some say that you could have done them better, but to me it didn't need more details, the important is that we recognize what they are.

Sorry to keep writing on my own thread like this, I know it probably looks like I just want more attention, but I honestly don't. I wanted to ask about something.
Being as so many of you seem to like this, and being as I got off for summer holidays today, I was possibly thinking about, sometime, starting a sequel to this. That way I can finish it for the end of September, then have time to start a halloween film.
Just an idea I had, but it is still pretty soon to think about making sequels. It hasn't even been live that long. So I doubt it will happen anytime soon, but I don't know, would anyone here like to see a sequel? Or should I just leave it as a stand alone film, then that way not 'ruin' it? I'd quite like to hear what you think about that, because in many ways I can see a sequel going horribly wrong, but I can also see it being quite good if I get another story pop up into my head.

You should make what ever film you think would be best to make. mini/smile
If you think it's another Pirate movie, that'd be great. You could make a sequel to this, or just another Pirate film with different settings characters and such. I personally like the later idea best, as you have some experience with Pirate stuff now. And if the film were not rushed, and if you really put effort into improving the areas that have been critiqued, you could make a Pirate movie even better than this. mini/smile
I'd be happy to voice or help with the story.

a beautiful film

Excellent brickfilm.  I feel like I'm always waiting for that pirate brickfilm that will encapsulate what it was like to be oh so young and to play with my pirate legos with a childhood imagination.  I felt this film came really close to that. 

You'r officially cool in my book mini/sunnies I look forward to seeing films from you in the future